Any one have Fibro and have TKR done?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am wondering how much worse this surgery is going to be and it I will heal slower being I suffer from Fibro all the time.  I already have to take Tramadol and Mobic daily to be able to function and work.  Worried that after TKR the fibro will make the knee surgery worse.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are some drugs that at e used for nerve pain that are vey effective for some and don't have the narcotic after effects. I have been using gabrepentin 300 mg 3x's daily and having fabulous results. I took it a number of years ago but in 1/3 the doseage and it was worthless. Nice thing there is no hang over and its very inexpensive plus its not addictive. As far as tkr making things worse.....that just on of those things that s unpredictable. I've had to rehab my knee 5 times and had 11 surgeries and I swear everyone brings about its own set of circumstances.
  • Posted

Cathy. I'm not sure about the fibro because i don't have it, but I have had the tkr, and I can tell you it is very painful, and not just for a week or two, but probably for months. No one will tell you before you have it done, but afterward you will hear all the bad stories. I had gotten to the point I felt like I couldn't go on if I didn't have something done. But now after 3 months,I feel like I have just traded one kind of pain for another. I have scar tissue and not sure what to do about it. I'm sorry if I have discouraged you, because some go through it with good results, but I'm just telling you to really think about it, because it is a big decision. Do all the research you can. Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

How long ago did you have your knee done..

How's your bend with scar tissue.

I had tkr on jan 2015 an had all kinds of complications with my after care....I have scar tissue an bend is 95 at best... .can walk upstairs but not down .....not sure where to take it..my surgeon says I should be happy with my bend that I have

• Posted

Hi Darlene, my surgery was 11/16/15. My bend is about 95, but after about an hour of therapy is about 102. My degree of bend is bothersome, but right now it's the pain and sensitivity that is tormenting me!
    • Posted

Walk up the stairs in an exaggerated manner, so that you work your thigh muscles.  Walk backwards down the stairs using the same procedure as going up. When you are comfortable, come down the right way.  Don't get despondent.  Don't concentrate on getting the perfect bend, it'll drive you crazy. There are ways of doing exercises without really thinking about it.  From the way you walk, to getting up from chairs, sitting at your desk/table etc, use every opportunity to work those muscles.  You will get your bend, but you will have to work at it. Just remember not to obsess.
  • Posted

Cathy, I too have fibromyalgia and I had a new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit that the knee cap slides over) in March last year. Recovery was slow due to muscle wastage and I've also suffered with depression.....something I've never suffered with before. Whether this depression is connected to my fibro I'm not sure. Knee is now progressing fine, but my fibromyalgia pain seems to have increased a lot in the last few months. I use to take nurofen to keep fibro pain under control but am on sertraline antidepressants and can now only take paracetamol.....which doesn't seem strong enough. I also take amitriptyline when fibro is really bad. After being on this forum I've also found that depression can be common after surgery so perhaps I've had a double whammy!

I hope all goes well for you and I can most certainly recommend that you continue to use this forum after your surgery. It's been a godsend to me on many occasions. ....there is always someone who has answers to any questions you may have. It's very comforting to know that you are not suffering alone!

• Posted

Hi Cathy, I have had fibromyalgia for 15 yrs and had my first tkr last June. My surgery went well but I struggled with my bend for weeks. It's a big op for sure and I'm still recovering. I think my fibro has slowed my recovery but I am getting better slowly. I'm having my other knee replaced in a few weeks as the pain of recovery is preferable to the permanent pain and instability I have now. It's a painful process and I got very down and tearful at first and very frustrated with myself, but the pain was controlled mostly with medication, time is a great healer and I learned many lessons, mostly patience, tolerance and progress not perfection. Only you can make the decision. For me it was the right thing to do as I have to look to the future. Good luck
  • Posted

I knew someone who suffered from Fibro and had TKR. The levels never really changed.  Yes she was in pain, but a different pain, more like a healing pain.  Fibro pain didn't increase.  You need to take your meds on a regular basis to avoid the dips. Everyone on this forum seems to take Tramadol, when I took it I found it didn't touch the pain, so came off it and am now on something else which works most days, on the days it doesn't I have a liquid version.  So far, I haven't had to increase dosage and the pain is controlled.  There are times when I Dont follow my own advice and suffer.    A lot of people on this site will say ice, I cannot, so use heat, works a treat (for me).  Try it, even if it's just for soothing properties.
  • Posted

I gave Fibro plus other issues.I had knee I only had key hole

surgery on my knee...not tkr....it was torn tendons..due to Arthritis...was bone on bone...the fibro was no different at all but ive managed fibro mow for over 20 years....😘

• Posted

Did the key hole surgery help you?  I am having laprascopic soon to repair meniscus soon because it is torn but I am bone on bone too.  Praying this helps releive some of the pain I am in.  Hoping you are in a lot less pain now.
  • Posted

Hi l have just seen your mess,l have suffered with Fibromyalgia for 15 yrs l had total knee replacement 13 weeks ago l went back to work last week, the pains are different but you will be ok, l take Amptytripline, Naproxen and top up with paracetamol  for the pain, Fibromyalgia  will probably delay the healing a little l am working through that myself now but you will get there,put it this way when l told the consultant about my Fibromyalgia  he didn't seem too concerned, so don't worry you will be fine .
  • Posted

How did your tkr go? Fribro/knee pain?

I had tkr 2009 and have had soft tissue pain ever since, but I figure I can still walk where I couldn't before the surgery.

Now I need other knee done.

• Posted

Oh, still have fibro. ..

Not unusual for fibro patients to have post op issues

• Posted

I see this post is 2 years old. I have a TKR 1/2017 and have fibromyalgia or RA.  I should have a diagnosis soon.  I have been having increasing pain since surgery. Surgeon wanted to re-open it to see what the problem is.  It's not infected, rejecting or loose.  I got a second opinion yesterday. He said he doesn't like to do TKR on fibromyalgia patients because so many of them are worse after. He also said opening it back up to "look" for problems will make it worse and is referring me to pain management. I am hoping this post helps someone.

• Posted

Hi Brenda I to have fibromyalgia I'm in escruciating pain I also thought it was because of my fibromyalgia im going on 4 weeks now how do you feel now please let me know. Thank you

• Posted

Hi,

I too had a TKR in January 2018 and have had fibro and arthritis for years. I have been working my butt off to straighten my knee. The bend isn't too bad although it hurts but I just can't get it to straighten out. It got worse as I healed (due to scar tissue build up?) but I just got excuses from the physio and told to be patient. Now the surgeon has my husband doing some pretty painful exercises on my knee. In his words, " if there aren't tears in your eyes, it's not hard enough". I just keep praying that the fibro means it's going to take longer to get there and that this is not permanant. No health professional can give me an answer. It's very disheartening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.