Any positives from Mirtazapine?!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello,

Citalopram wasn't working for me and my BP depression has been getting worse so I've just been given a prescription for mirtazapine but after reading the bad reviews on here I'm scared to death of taking it! I'll be tapering off the citalopram in the next few days and then starting the Mirt at the weekend, is there anybody who has had some positive effects from taking this medication? My Dr said it was a very good AD drug which will lift my mood in a few weeks so I was really hopeful but now I'm not so sure if I want to take it and feel upset. confused cry

3 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

After taking my first dose I slept really well last night with some odd dreams! Felt a bit groggy when I woke up this morning but don't feel too bad now, still a bit tired but nothing to worrying.  
    • Posted

The dreams are strange but I find they are not bad ones just very vivid, hope your day goes ok judith
    • Posted

Yeah the dreams were very vivid, not dreamt like that in a long time but I found it fairly cool and quite enjoyed them! Not having a bad day so far thanks, a bit tired tho. 
    • Posted

Hi everybody, been to see Pdoc today and she has never heard of the side effects I have got. Hope this makes you all feel better that it just seems to be me! Take care judith
    • Posted

Oh dear Judith, are you going to stick with the mirtazapine did you ask about increasing the dose? Not a bad day today, felt a bit anxious this morning but that passed and I've had a nice walk with the dogs just now. 
    • Posted

Yes she said that would not be the right thing to do maybe go down to 30 may try that. Glad your having a better day. Thanks for your reply. Keep in touch. Judith
    • Posted

Morning didn't wake up until half an hour ago, thats 12 hours sleep and didn't want to get out of bed this morning! Feeling a little anxious not sure why hopefully it'll go like yesterday. Still waiting for the positive effects to start kicking in although if I'm honest I don't feel quite so bad as I have been. 
    • Posted

Morning I cut down to 30 last night, been to feed my daughters cat and done some cleaning at her house. Home now feel tired, still frustrated that I can't do the things I want to, but like you I am making progress just very slow. Try and have a good day. Judith
    • Posted

Just jumped on to 30mg and I am also getting those waking start dreams... Horrible.!!

• Posted

Took my half tablet an hour before going to bed last night and I've slept for 11 hours, just woke up. Feel a bit foggy but not too bad, gonna get up and have some breakfast and a cuppa. tonight I'll be taking the full 15mg tablet!
    • Posted

Been up since 7 had breakfast done some jobs around the house, out in garden now wobbling all over the place!!!!! Not funny want to get on cry
    • Posted

Oh dear Judith, hopefully the wobbly feeling will go with time, as long it sorts your head out! You've been up in good time and got some jobs done so thats a positive. 
    • Posted

Just come in from garden done a bit but felt as though I was going to faint and nearly fell down stairs so have given up! Really mad with myself, when will it go. My daughter came to see if I wanted to go shopping with her for her holiday clothes, can't do it even though I really want to. Sorry to bang on just need to rant arrrrrrg 
    • Posted

Going to bed had enough of it today, please tell my these bloody side effects will go. I am beginning to think it is just the way I am going to be for the rest of my life!,,,
    • Posted

Well I took a full 15mg last night about 9.45pm and was in bed by 11pm, Slept ok but it wasn't like a deep sleep I woke up a few times and I had loads of different dreams. Struggling to get out of bed this morning! Need a cuppa and some breakfast. 
    • Posted

Hi aim, the dreams are very strange, I am not sure if I have woken up or was dreaming sometimes, hope your day is better than it has been. Judith
    • Posted

Odd, I felt like I'd woken up but I was still able to get back into the dream I was having so perhaps I wasn't as awake as I think I was. Who knows!
    • Posted

The tiredness seems to have worn off a bit, managed to get myself up and dressed brushed my teeth etc.... Something that has been very hard over the last week or so with me feeling so low and down in the dumps. Hope your day is going not too bad. 
    • Posted

That's how I started, then my head cleared and I felt very hyper wanted to do everything but my body had other ideas. That was two weeks ago and still positive but my body still won't have it! Looking back though I can do a lot more now just keep having to sit down and hang on to things, will keep taking them for a couple more weeks and see if things improve, if not don't know have tried everything else and can't cope without drugs. Will keep you posted. Judith
    • Posted

I guess two weeks is still early days on new tablets it can take 2-4 weeks before they get into your system proper and have maximum effect. Hopefully things will get better for you Judith, on a good note you are feeling more positive about things and I can't wait to start feeling more positive! Hopefully the mirtazapine will do this for me. 
    • Posted

It will if I am anything to go by, will keep my fingers crossed for you! Judith
    • Posted

Another weird night of sleep & dreaming, the tablet didn't knock me out as quick last night (second night on 15mg) took nearly two hours before I felt sleepy enough to go to bed. Woke up at 10am laid in bed for bit then managed to get myself out, feeling a little down today with little motivation to do anything but i need to go food shopping so I'll have to go out at some point. 
    • Posted

Hi Liam did you manage to get out shopping. I have been out today to meet a friend, was fine driving but still really unsteady on my feet, don't know if this normal or just me. Thinking go upping my does to 45 and see what happens, don't really know what to do rolleyes
    • Posted

I did get out shopping even though I didn't feel like it, does you good getting out I suppose. Feel quite alert this afternoon done some house work cooked dinner. I wonder if my Dr will up my dose when i see him this week, I don't think you should just up the dose without discussing it first? Might be worth a try as I've gathered from what I've read that the higher dose is less sedating so maybe you won't feel as tired or unsteady? 
    • Posted

Glad you have had a better day, you right should ask GP first just imatient, nobody else seems to have the same side effects redface
    • Posted

Been to the Dr's this morning and he isn't going to put me upto 30mg incase it sends me into a manic episode (I suffer from bipolar) so I'll just have to carry on with my 15mg and hope it's enough to lift my mood up. Only been taking 15mg for 5 days so it's still early yet but I do feel a bit better than last week, steady away! Hope you are ok. 
    • Posted

Hi Liam, I think the doctor is right, 30 has make me a bit manic and I am not BP tried 15 night before last and went striagh down so back to 30 last night. Felt better this morning so cracked on, had to Hoover on my bum and wash floors but I did it. The P doc said maybe taking a diazapam as well may help so that is what I did this morning and got loads done. Don't want to be dependant on them however if 1 a day lets me get on with things I will go with it for now. Hope you get better slowly on 15, I didn't realise I was getting better until I looked back at how I had been. Good luck take car judith
    • Posted

I know it's early days but I think my mood is begining to show signs of improvement, getting some motivation back for things and my family say they can see a change in me albeit fairly minor, hopefully this will continue! 
    • Posted

That's great news, like I said yesterday I didn't think I was getting better but I am. It takes time and I still have bad days but nothing like I used to. It is more the headaches and my body that are not doing as well, giving it another week and a half, have a better weekend take care judith
    • Posted

Spoke to soon I think, feel terrible today no motivation and feel like an anxiety attack is looming. Done nothing at all today sad Hope you are doing ok. 
    • Posted

Oh dear, that's what happens to me, don't be hard on yourself and try to go with it. Hopefully it is just a blip, you have been doing really well, and started to feel a little better. I have managed to feed cat go shopping and have my hair cut, had to take a diazapam at my daughters then my legs gave way  shopping, just managed not to fall, had a trolley thank goodness. Back home now and really would like to go out and see friends but all too much  at moment, another day. Feel like a drink and haven't done for a long time! Hope your day gets better, wish I could help. Where do you live by the way, I live near scarborough. 
    • Posted

Hope your evening was a bit better, I can't stop eating! Nite nite
    • Posted

Sounds like you got a bit done today well done, I feel a bit better this evening but not great hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I'm in West Cumbria near the coast. 
    • Posted

Sound nice where you live, doe sent help though, people think it should cheer you up but nothing does when your depressed and panicky. I live in a little village near scarborough, lovely old pub over the road, only been in twice since July, might try today now easy when you have stopped drinking, don't want to drink but people think you strange as all the people that I know are hunting, shooting and farmers and all like drinking. Hope you have a bit better day. Judith
    • Posted

Morning every body hope your ok, I am feeling defeated today my head is like cotton wool and have no motivation, just want to sleep, what is it all about! Judith
    • Posted

Morning Judith, I don't feel too good today either with no motivation and I feel really anxious about everything. Off to the Dr's again tomorrow to see if they can up my dose of mirtazapine. Try and have a good day. 
    • Posted

Hi Liam, took 10ml diazapam in the end and had a nap, don't want to rely on them but they do stop me pinicing. Are you still on 15ml of mirtazapine, 30 seems better for me tried going back to 15 but it wore off about lunch time so went back to 30. Hope the day gets better for you. Good luck at docs tomorrow. Let me know how you get on judith
    • Posted

Hi Liam, hope your ok today. I feel like giving up really down today don't know why
    • Posted

Morning Judith, I'm going to Dr's at 11 I'm gonna have a good talk with them. Sorry you don't feel so good today, i know how you feel.  I don't feel as bad as the last few days but not great, the sun is out and the birds are singing but I don't feel any cheer at all. 
    • Posted

Hi Liam let me know what the doctor said, bird song used to make me happy as did the sun but today they just are there. Not good, don't know what the answer is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.