Any positives from Mirtazapine?!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello,

Citalopram wasn't working for me and my BP depression has been getting worse so I've just been given a prescription for mirtazapine but after reading the bad reviews on here I'm scared to death of taking it! I'll be tapering off the citalopram in the next few days and then starting the Mirt at the weekend, is there anybody who has had some positive effects from taking this medication? My Dr said it was a very good AD drug which will lift my mood in a few weeks so I was really hopeful but now I'm not so sure if I want to take it and feel upset. confused cry

3 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have you seen side effcts of citalopram....And then withdrawl symptoms... I started on Mirt. then had a crisis, was told to try citalopram, which i fought with side effects to now on mirt again and going thru the withdrawal of citalopram.

The things is we are all different and part of these drugs working is for your expereience.

Think of a two holidays, one is always going to be better than the other most of the time......

• Posted

Citalopram did nothing for me even at 40mg whch is the maximum safe dose i think? I had to ween off it gently, 20mg a week then 10mg for a week. Hope the mirt does you better. 
    • Posted

Trying to have a relaxing day but even the peopl on TV are getting on my nerves, they all seem so happy, could cope with this if I knew I was going to feel better tomorrow but I don't know. My daughter is back from holiday today and I don't wants to feel like this. She must be sick of it as am I myself. Just want to sleep and wake up ok. Think I am expecting too much so confused and frustrated!!!!!frown
    • Posted

Well the Dr still said the same thing about the risk of mania if increase dose, but she was happy to increase is she knew I was under weekly visits from my CPN which I am with a safety net in place, so he is going to get in touch with my Dr to discuss the increase. Hopfully will hear back in the next day or so, got my fingers crossed I really am sick of feeling so low and just want my life back to how it was! Perhaps the increase won't even do anything who knows?! I did feel a little better on the 15mg so there is hope the 30mg will lift me even more.  
    • Posted

Hi Liam, don't be frightened of the higher dose it is worth a try, I was a bit manic but in a good way. My problem now as I said before is my body, the phsycatrist has not heard of those side effect so I think it is just me. Managed to go for a meal with my daughter, I am ok when I get there but getting ready and out is a problem. Good luck with 30ml hope you get your life back, will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I am worried now that I don't have to go out to feed cat that I won't go out we will see. Take care and keep in touch judith

• Posted

Still waiting to hear back ftom my CPN & Dr about the increase, think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see whats going on. i forced myself to get up and ready this morning to go out shopping with my mum and we had a nice dog walk this evening so not a bad day but I still didn't feel like doing any of it but I managed! I saw in another thread you are going up to 45mg - let us know how you get on with that, good luck! 
    • Posted

Hi Liam, glad you managed to get out, it's hard for family as well. My daughter wants me to go on holiday with her and my granchildren, I am terrified even though I would love to go. To be honest that is why I am going to try the higher dose to see if it helps. Need to be better by august. Take care judith
    • Posted

Hi everybody, took my first 45 ml last night and have done loads of paper work this morning which needed doing. I should feel good but I don't! Feel guilty every day about not doing enough even though I am doing more. Everybody says push yourself and you will feel better when you have but I don't, just glad it's over! Does anybody else feel like this or is it just me? 
    • Posted

Hi Judith hows the 45mg increase going for you? I'm still waiting for the Dr to call me, sick of waiting and I've tried to get in touch a few times! Don't feel too good today just got a real anxious feeling inside and I don't want to go out of the house. I've been on mirt 2 weeks i just want to feel better sad
    • Posted

Hi Liam, like you I am really struggling today, went shopping this morning and fell apart when I came home. Like you can't even go in the garden, had to take diazapam to calm me down. Really wanted to get drunk even though I stopped 8 months ago, really don't know what to do. Hope you got through to doctors take care judith
    • Posted

Hi Liam, hope you got through to the doctors. I spoke to my phsycyatrist, she said that they take a couple of weeks to work properly, she has also put on the waiting list to see a phsycologist and a support worker. Her answer is to plan your day and do as much as you can using CBT and pushing yourself. That's easy to say when your feeling like we are it is nearly impossible and even when I do things I don't feel any sense of achievement, just worry about the other things I have to do. Relaxing is really hard to, just look forwrd to bed time. To top it all dhss want to do an assessment of my condition, last time they were happy that I could walk and put me on job seekers. Went back to work then crashed again. Can't see an end to this at the moment. What dose are you on? Take care judith
    • Posted

Hi Judith, I haven't managed to get through to the Dr's yet and they were supposed to ring me! It's really hard to try and push yourself when you feel like this, I so wanted to take the dogs on a nice walk in the sunshine but I just couldn't find it in myself to do it and that makes me feel worse. My CPN also tells me to puch myself and try and get exercise as much as possible but that feels near impossible..... I'm still on 15mg like i have been for 2 weeks now and I don't feel any better. It really sucks being like this!! What are we meant to do?! 
    • Posted

Keep talking to each other, shame we couldn't meet up but that causes other problems travel ect, don't know where you live, I live near scarborough. Going up to 30 made me feel much better in my head so if doc says so give it a go. I have been ill for years and drank to keep going, now I realise it was a bad move as it has come back to bite me. The trouble is I can't believe I will ever be well again even though people tell me I will be. My poor dog seems depressed as well now, I am not able to take him for a walk either. Let's hope it gets better xxxx
    • Posted

Tablets and bed for me let's hope tomorrow is a better day nite nite
    • Posted

Hi Liam how was your day? I spent the day at my daughters sunbathing and having a BBQ, should have been a great day but have to pretend I am enjoying myself, inside I just want to run away and hide. She wants me to go on holiday with her and the grandchildren which I would love to do if only I could get better. All it does is make me panic! What is going on, will we ever be well! Sorry to bang on but nobody understands, they don't live in my head. Hope you managed to have a better day. Take care judith
    • Posted

Hi Judith, not had a good day again I have been out with the dogs but I had to really push myself and I didn't really enjoy it. I feel sick and dizzy and lethargic on top of the anxiety I don't what is going on! I wish we could better, I keep trying to tell myself things are going to get better but it's difficult sad
    • Posted

Morning Liam, felt like ending it all last night and woken up the same, don't know what to do! Can't carry on like this 
    • Posted

Oh dear Judith! you are still here so thats a good thing! I wonder when things will start to pick up, I feel terrible this morning sick and anxious wish we felt better! 
    • Posted

I wonder if how I am feeling could have anything to do with me cutting down and stopping olanzapine? Haven't had any for about a 5 days and my symptoms seem to be getting worse - really anxious, dizzy, lethargic and just generally feeling unwell. It never occurred to me it could be this but I've been doing some research online and it seems common that this med can cause withdrawal effects. Maybe I should start taking it again to see what happens but I really want to off the drug as it makes me like a zombie and it also affects dopamine which can lead to low mood lack of motivation etc. God knows!! hope things get better for you judith. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.