Any suggestions on HRT?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a subtotal hysterectomy when I was 34 and was left with one ovary and my cervix. I am now 46 and have been suffering for the past 3 years with horrible symptoms that I finally know are menopause. The Doctor put me on vitamin D 10000 iu every week and 4 pumps of Estrogel 0.06%. I started at 2 pumps a day and now am at 4 pumps because the 2 didn't help. I am scared nothing will help. I also started taking vitamin b6 everyday. Can anyone reccomend something that will work? I know everyone is different but any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Amzngds,

I feel the same way. I had the worst summer of my life! I didn't do anything because of this. I feel this may never end. I think this started late 2013, and its gotten progressively worse. I don't know how much more I can take. I have a few decent days, but not close to my old self. I don't see friends much, except for a few. I've isolated myself and I don't think all coworkers understand. I was prescribed progesterone tabs but didn't take them because I'm reading they cause headaches, and nausea et. I feel lost! I'm starting the progesterone cream again and hear it helps, but may take months. I wish there was a support group

In person. Your not alone! Prayers

• Posted

Thank you for your post Colleen. I am going through it to. I have come to the conclusion I will take whatever wIll help me and if the estrogen will hurt me I will take the chance because I can't live life like this anymore.

I am glad I found this site and have you and others to talk to 🙂. I find those who haven't gone through this have no idea what it's like and have little patience or sympathy.

I hope the cream works for you.

Amzngds 🙂

• Posted

Hi Colleen. I'm so sorry you are feeling so lost. I know how you feel as i felt truly out of control before i started hrt in april.  If i remember right did you see an endocrinologist that decided to try you on progesterone tablets?  xx

• Posted

Hi Amzngds, what symptoms are you experiencing? Could you be more specific please? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Sochima,

Best way to put it is I feel like a deflated balloon. I have zero energy. I have no interest in anything. I can't sleep. My heart speeds up and Palpitates. I eat and I feel bloated and gross and then 2 hours later it's like I need food now or I will pass out. I get hot and cold flashes and my face will break out in a big sweat. I get cranky and my family looks at me like I am crazy.I am losing my hair on my head and I have almost stopped growing hair under my arms, legs and pubic area. I get very dizzy and I drop everything. I have nerve damage in my lower back and that's worse to. There are so many symptoms but these are the ones I can list from the top of my head. Should I list all of them?

• Posted

Have you considered going on HRT? Maybe it's time you had this discussion with your doctor or gynecologist.

• Posted

oops just noticed you're on HRT. How long have you been on it?

• Posted

I have been on the Estrogel for 4 months. Faithfully everyday. I was so excited to start it and nothing. I know I have to give it some time but it gets frustrating. That's why I was wondering what else was out there and how it helps others

• Posted

I know you have had a hysterectomy, but just wondered if you might need some progesterone added to your hrt too to help your symptoms? 4 pumps of estrogel is quite a high dose. It may be worth talking to your doc about referring you to an endocrinologist for some detailed blood testing to pinpoint what could help you hormone/hrt wise.  They can also look in detail at your thyroid functions as that can be linked to peri/meno symptoms too. Hope this helps hun. xx
    • Posted

It does thanks a bunch! I wondered about progesterone but thought it wasn't possible, but anything is possible 🙂

• Posted

Hi Amzngds,

There is a website called Hystersisters. It is a website for women who had hysterectomies, The women on there do the samething we do here. They support

Each other. Maybe you should check it out. Let me know if it helps you.

• Posted

Hi Amzngds

I am so sorry to hear that you have been suffering so long. What are the symptoms you are having?

• Posted

She mentioned them above. This is all so brutal. I look at other women at the store et. And everyone seems so happy and normal! Not me!!!
    • Posted

I have the same feeling that other people seem so happy! ! I wish could feel so happy to! !! I use to have goals, go out often,had more energy! I'm tired of being this way!!

• Posted

I was thinking the same thing this morning, on my way to work. I look at other women my age and older, they seem to be living their life, going about their business. I wonder if it is only me going through this. Sometimes i feel alone.

That is why this website has been a blessing for me. I am not alone in this transition. It has got to get better eventually for all of us.

• Posted

Well, you guys are funny because I was pretending that everything was fine and dandy when I was out shopping even though I wasn't. But HELL I wasn't about to let anyone know I was off balance and going through hormonal changes. Heck no, I was going to act as normal as normal can be.

• Posted

I feel that way too. That everyone else looks so happy and energetic. What happened to me?
    • Posted

I don't act it, trust me. Nobody would know as I hide it well. Maybe the women I think are OK, hide it also. Lol

• Posted

I think we have to act that way in public. Can you imagine all the menopausal women running up and down the streets looking stark raving mad
    • Posted

Maybe we should all wear a badge so we can give each other a sympathetic smile? A pink primrose for peri and a gold one for meno?
    • Posted

Good is a good idea. Maybe people will start to ask us how are we doing more often.
    • Posted

Maria, if u are on your way to work then I'm looking out my living room window watching ladies like you thinking to myself, " look at them going to work, why can't I be like them and have the energy and be living life and working?" 😉

• Posted

Hi CCinCal,

It's so funny you mention this. I think I appear normal to every woman. Just like other women appear normal and full of life to to me. It's like I said before, imagine all of the women going through the change, running up and down the place like ranting, raving lunatics. That would be a site to see. Even the criminals would take a day off to hide. No matter how bad you feel life goes on regardless.

I believe a lot of women are struggling, just like us.

• Posted

I work a lot to support myself and its not easy in this state. When you have to survive, you do what you have too
    • Posted

I hear ya! I wish could work I'm so ashamed that unable to work. I have severe lung disease only have 40%capacity. Also have chronic pain because of lung disease. Then started having all sorts of wird symptoms. So I started researching the symptoms came up with menopause. Couldn't believe it. So made appointment with ob doc. That is when she told me I'm in menapause . Everyday have new symptom some really worry me. So go to doc she tells me it's just menapause. I'm so thankful found this website. Though was going crazy lossing my mind.

Thanks for listening

• Posted

Kris, you shouldn't be ashame you're unable to work. Anyone with lung disease shouldn't have to work and with 40% lung capacity I believe it would be hard to work. Do you need an oxygen tank?

• Posted

Yes I do use home oxygen. I guess it's from my ex husband has drilled into my son's head that useless. That I'm below them because I don't work.

• Posted

Sorry my saying this, but how ignorant they are. Don't listen to them. You take care of yourself first.

• Posted

Absolutely ditto what Sochima said Kris. some people can be so shallow. do you have any other family near you that are supportive? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.