Any tips for getting heel all the way back into the boot

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I graduated to the boot today!!  I feel like progress can now begin. I'm having a hard time getting my heel all the way down into the boot. Any tips? I think partly its because I have to overcome my fear of putting any pressure on it.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Machelle,

That's great news!  Like they told me at the hospital a few weeks ago when I got my air cast, "gravity will bring your heel down".

What I did is put my foot in, then slowly close the flap over the toes. Your heel will not be down in the boot right away, but if you ease it slowly, over a few minutes, you will see it will go down.  Yes, it will be sore and uncomfortable and it may take you a week or so, but your foot will cooperate and it gets easier pretty quickly.

Persevere, it will happen in a short period of time and it will be comfortable to wear.

Just be patient, this is progress!

• Posted

Thanks Deb

I'll try closing the toe flap first. I'm so glad too be out of the cast I was so miserable with it. 

Thanks for the help and encouragement. 

• Posted

Hello Machelle

Congratulations🎉

I found that by putting my leg straight on the bed/sofa was the best way then put the boot on then put my leg back on the floor..if i put it on whilst my bad leg was on the floor i could never get it in properly good luck😊

• Posted

Thanks Maria

I think I need to get over the fear of putting any pressure on my ankle. I will try this next time I put it on. I think I need practice. smile

• Posted

Do you have Even Up Shoe  
    • Posted

Yes, I have an even up shoe. Did you use it immediately or after you could bear more weight? I plan on taking it to Physical Therapy.
    • Posted

As soon as any weight goes on you need to walk straight upright and level. Avoid secondary injury at all cost. 
  • Posted

Great news...go you. IT will become easier as time goes by. but i used to put heel in first with the boot flap wide open, then fasten the foot flap first. the heel will find its own way to the correct place.  I did find it quite painful for a time but the eased after a short while.  Next.....aids free!!!  whoop whoop.  goo luck  sx
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra,

I am so excited to be making progress!!! Hope your recovery is going well!

• Posted

Onwards and upwards for you now.  Im not doing to good at the moment, seem to of hit a wall.  But its not the ankle thats giving me too many probs. Ive been waiting for an operation on my knee, this is the reason for my fall in the first place. But because of the operation i had to have on broken ankle I couldnt get the knee sorted. Its now stopping me from walking without a very bad limp.  My physio has referred be back to the knee surgeon so I can get the operation done, hopefully then the recovery will go well. Just the thought of going under the knife again and having to use crutches, makes my anxiety levels bad.  But it has to be done.  sx
    • Posted

Wow Sandra,  I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I hope you get your knee surgery done asap so you can begin to recover fully. The idea of another surgery must be daunting. I hope you have lots of help and support at home.

Will be thinking of you, especially when i'm feeling sorry for myself. smile

• Posted

I fitted my heel by wearing it while I sit and gradually setting it. Don’t hurry, It took me 2-3 days to figure it out after I got the boot.
    • Posted

Thanks I have no idea if my heel is in the right place. I start PT tomorrow hopefully they can help!
    • Posted

Hi Machelle,

I too had a difficult time getting my heel placed correctly. One of the nurses in my Ortho's office showed me. I hated the feeling of the plate in my ankle touching the boot. One I became used to the sensation I was ok. 

She backed it into the boot and tightened the first strap then the rest. My foot was sore for about two days. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Hey Good Luck 😊 ... I am in my 3rd post op week, it’s 3 more weeks I guess and than I will start my PT.  How many weeks did you take to start PT? 

• Posted

Thanks,

How often do you take off your boot? It's so hot here in California I have been taking it off 4 times a day.

• Posted

Hi Nidaa,

I start PT today, 6 weeks post op. I'm assuming you are in a cast. They removed my cast 6 weeks in took xrays, gave me the cam boot. I think 6 weeks is about average.

Good luck, This process is sooo slow!

• Posted

No, my surgeon didn’t put me in cast after operation. He gave me the boot to wear it when I want to move on walker. My stitches are cut, and the wound is healing nicely as well the bone, according to the last X-ray. I do have 2 plates and screws in my bone, I hope the PT process is not painful. Wish you a speedy recovery 
    • Posted

Oh, ok you went right into a boot, for me that would have be a godsend since the cast was so torturous to me. Day one of PT went really well. It felt so good just to move my foot again. Didn't have pain just discomfort with some of the stretches. 

• Posted

I take it off several times a day because it's hot here in Georgia too. I broke my ankle on the 4th of July so this has been a hot and miserable summer for sure. 

I'm not sure how often you should take it off. I do sleep in it because the doctor told me I should do so. 

• Posted

I started PT today, he wants me to leave it off whenever I'm sitting or laying day so I can stretch and move it a lot. I still have to sleep in it. You broke your ankle on 4th of July and your still in the boot, I'm so sorry. That's a long recovery. Are you weight bearing yet?

Good luck I hope your almost done with your boot! smile

• Posted

Hoping your in Even Up Shoe. To promote straight gait. And no secondary injuries. 
    • Posted

That sounds really great, keep up the spirit dear 😊 ... glad to know it was painfree. And yes I can understand how happy you must be with feeling of moving around. I am looking forward to that day. Cheers! 

• Posted

I had extensive surgery since it was a  severe open/compound fracture.  Also I developed osteomyelitis and the healing seemed to just stop for a few weeks. I can weight bear in two more weeks and I finished 42 days of IV antibiotics this past Monday! Whoo hoo! 

Never in a million years did I think anything like this would happen. It was like my life was on hold for nearly three months and I missed traveling to California for vacationsad

Things are much better now and I'm actually doing stretches as I type. 

• Posted

Wow you have been through a lot. Only forward motion now!! Two more weeks until you can bear weight, that's a major milestone! I totally understand life being on hold, I feel exactly the same way.

Life can change in an instant. 

Stretches feel so good, just to have movement again is amazing.

Stay strong it sounds like the worst is behind you!! biggrin

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

I am wearing my Even Up shoe. It does help with my balance. I am actually putting weight on my foot now when walking with my crutches!! Baby steps but I will take it.

Hope your recovery is going great,

• Posted

Where in Georgia are you? I’m in Valdosta. I broke mine on June 15th so I know what you mean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.