Any tips for walking?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am almost nine weeks on! Feeling very grown up with my TKR! Any tips for improving

Walking from those further along the road to recovery? I can walk slowly without

Sticks indoors, with one outside, but use two if walking for longer than fifteen minutes.

But still so slow! Beginning to wonder if I will ever walk normally again! I did have a

Month of my quads not working and I am exercising to strengthen them up.

The operated leg used to give way about every ten minutes and now that only happens

Occasionally. So improvement in that area. Don't feel nervous about walking but it feels so odd. I feel like i am needing

To learn how to walk all over again. Very pleased with new knee. But, as with the extreme tiredness this was another

Aspect I had not considered!

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That was one of my worries Jenny - I felt as though I should be walking much faster, and it was a couple of weeks or so ago, when I was about eight weeks, that I was thinking that.  I don't know if it's more work on the recumbent bike that's helped (I've gone from level 1 to level 7 or 8 now) or if it's just the knee healing more and realising how strong and stable (ha, I sound like a politician LOL!) it is, but I found I had to consciously try to walk faster, and found I could (despite the other knee needing doing).  But I do know EXACTLY what you mean.  I was thinking 'is it that my legs are weak, or is it that I've got a mental block on walking properly'.  I even tried distracting myself by holding on to the linings of pockets as I walked because I felt I was TELLING myself I couldn't walk properly.  This all sounds crazy, but I think you'll know exactly what I mean.  But it did all gradually change.  I'm still not walking as fast as I want to but there is definitely an improvement and I'm not thinking about each step now.  Before the op I WAS thinking about each step - it was all painfully slow and hurt so much but now with just one knee done there is such an improvement.  So I think this is probably just down to time and confidence!

• Posted

Thank you, I can relate to all of that! Also it is tiring for my whole body, as having energy issues

Still! Eating red meat every day as well as taking iron pills doctor prescribed! I think I could maybe try some faster walking...

What you say sounds spot on...But it helps to know that your experience

Shows with time it did improve. So hard walking in london today!

I was soooooo slow...my awareness made worse by the rushing around going on around me I think! But I did manage it. Completely shattered now!

• Posted

Again - I can relate to what you're saying!  I felt, up to a couple of weeks ago, that every muscle in my body was tensing as I was walking!  Walking was almost like balancing on a tightrope, so rather than being relaxed - everything was tensed!  I still feel that to some point, and think I might well until the other knee is done, BUT am finding now that walking at a stroll IS becoming more natural, so give it time and I hope you'll find the same as I have soon:-))))

• Posted

That's interesting. I was trying to explain to a physiotherapist last week

How HARD I felt the operated leg had to work in order for me to do an exercise which involved me standing on it and balancing, while sticking the other leg out, which had a 1.5kg weight on it. Tense is the word! Maybe while the muscles are still weaker and we have to put so much mental effort into doing things we just lose our flow!

• Posted

"Stroll" is a very desirable word for me to keep in mind!?👢

• Posted

That isn't easy with NO weight on it until you've built up muscles.  I am rejoicing that I can stand on the operated leg happily to put my jeans on but the other leg is wobbly LOL!

• Posted

😁 yes, I am practising at home WITHOUT the weight and holding the leg

Bent near the one I am standing on. When I can do that for a minute

I will try with a weight! However, it's good they are stretching me.

I can do a straight leg raise with 1.5kg weight, which is a miracle really, bearing

In mind that five weeks ago I couldn't lift it in a straight leg raise at all.

• Posted

Phew - you have come on in 'leaps and bounds' LOL!  That really is such an improvement.  Once I get my date for the next op I'll start those straight leg raises again.  I stopped doing them a few weeks ago now, but physio had said how strong legs were.  I did them before the op as well as after.  It really is very exciting to look back and see the progress, isn't it!  Although at the time it might not seem like it, when you look back it's all improved pretty quickly!

• Posted

Yes, funny kind of time warp...look ahead to what you cannot do, and it seems ages away. Look back and realise how much has been achieved in what now seems a very short time!

• Posted

I found at first i was taken small steps then aimed for larger steps, and walk a bit further each day. It just takes time Jenny. If u stick2 Ur excercises you will be fine but don't over out like i did

• Posted

Thank you so much.... I will experiment with larger steps, . I think I over did it today!

I went to london was 20 minutes Walk x 4 (20 min would normally take 10 mins!) And train journey plus meeting in between. I thought the rests

Between the walking would make more difference than they did I think! Only just made it home! Flat on my back at the moment!

• Posted

Yes, I should have thought to say that too!  When I was trying to speed up, I lengthened my stride!:-)))
  • Posted

In a sense you are learning to walk again!  It's learning to walk normally, and not as we have done for ages with painful knees.  I can't think of any special ways of improving, except keep on doing it, and make sure that you actually are walking with the right movements.  I never  really had a problem with speed . . well, after the first month or so . . but I had a lot of troubly learning to bend my knee after years of trying to avoid doing that because of pain!  Enjoy your new knee!

• Posted

Yes, it is different! I had both flexion deformity and valgus deformity, and though

Just small, the leg feels so different. I love it...Just need to get used to it! I have not limped once...which is amazing!

• Posted

I think, as you lengthen stride, you get into 'swinging' the leg more, which is less strenuous than placing every step.  So try swinging it forward more?

• Posted

My sister in law had that in both knees, and had replacements about fifteen years ago . .still going strong at 87 years old!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.