Any tips for walking?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am almost nine weeks on! Feeling very grown up with my TKR! Any tips for improving

Walking from those further along the road to recovery? I can walk slowly without

Sticks indoors, with one outside, but use two if walking for longer than fifteen minutes.

But still so slow! Beginning to wonder if I will ever walk normally again! I did have a

Month of my quads not working and I am exercising to strengthen them up.

The operated leg used to give way about every ten minutes and now that only happens

Occasionally. So improvement in that area. Don't feel nervous about walking but it feels so odd. I feel like i am needing

To learn how to walk all over again. Very pleased with new knee. But, as with the extreme tiredness this was another

Aspect I had not considered!

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Everything you have written is so needed I am now 14 weeks post TKR I can walk unaided in the house and like you in use one stick because of balance issues cos of history of knees giving way If I'm heading for s long walk and unknown territory I use two No shame cos I'm doing it my way I say that will be will be I'm in no hurry 💗💗

• Posted

With two sticks I can walk faster...jolly good reason to use two! There is a bit

Of a feeling that I SHOULD be dispensing with two, but you are completely right...

We have our own way. As long as progressing gradually, in the right direction, it shouldn't matter.

• Posted

It takes time to recover from a TKR , it is serious surgery , a bit like having your leg broken in two places and put back together with metal components . Keep up with your physio , do as much as you can without over doing it , moisturise your scar and surrounding area . You will have good days , bad days , good weeks ,and bad weeks , but you wil get there in the end .I was off work 6 months for each TKR . Now 19½ & 17½ years on I have had no problems .

• Posted

It's quite helpful to be reminded of that...thank you forvyour encouragement.

I have to keep reminding myself that though progress is slower than expected, the main thing is that it IS progress!

• Posted

Here's the exercise plan to get your leg and core strength back...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

As for the walking...  Get a pedometer (FitBit, SmartWatch, etc.) to track your steps.  The most common problem is swelling as people try to do more than they should.  If that happens, note the number of steps that day...back off...then increase again gradually.  By month 8, I was doing 11,000+ steps (over 5 miles) with no pain or swelling.  Chart your progress...a "smart" device will download the data to your computer for graphical analysis.

• Posted

Good ideas there, thank you! Feeling stronger by the day..it is likely that

My operated leg may well end up being the strongest part of my body one

Day! It may well decide to run off by itself 😃

• Posted

Takes up to year to function fully and even into year 2! Or so i have been informed by an expert on tkr.

?Heel to toe walking, no swinging hips etc! I am about bottom of the class with my tkr but I have other conditions and had bad knees for about 10 years, the last few I was walking so badly, we won't be perfect right away, have to relearn everything. I'm not at terms with my knee yet after 8 weeks, glad you are liking yours that is they key to progress really, your body has to accept the alien knee as its own.

?Some days are setbacks and it is tough to be motivated when in pain or discomfort and the fatigue is unreal. Sounds like you are doing great!

• Posted

Thank you! I am setting myself goals, and pacing things..that seems to

Be the way ahead. I tend to feel downcast when over tired so finding the balance is tricky! I want

To increase the number of times I go to the swimming pool next. Walking

In water is good, I understand.

• Posted

Update on walking...I have been walking in pool, making longer steps, and doing more balancing exercises. My quadriceps are feeling stronger and all of these things have resulted in noticable improvement. Very pleased. Cannot walk for very long though or fast, but feels a lot more natural. Thank you all for your input!👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃

• Posted

That's so good to hear Jenny!  Well done:-)))))  I'm sure you'll be able to increase distance and speed as you go on:-)))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.