Any tips please?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I joined here yesterday. I’m currently being assessed to see if I have cfs, but it looks highly likely. 

Does anyone have any tips on how to get through a work day while being so tired? 

I love my job and so far they’ve been really good but I’ve has a week off just sleeping and really need to get back to work next week. 

Any tips would be great. 

Look forward to sharing ideas and joining with discussions.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi caroline 74621,

I've had this struggle most days for the last few years. First off, can your body tolerate coffee/caffeine? And if so, does it give you an energy boost? My body doesn't like it when I have a coffee, but if I have a cup of tea (about 1/3 of the strength of a cup of coffee I think), then my body can tolerate that, so when I'm feeling especially tired, I just have them throughout the day to keep me awake enough to do my job. I also make a matcha latté in the morning as it contains caffeine but releases it slowly over a period of 1-3 hours.

Before getting my diagnosis from a practitioner, I'd just take the odd day off work/call in sick, but since getting it, my employer said that I can work from home sometimes/when I'm having a particularly bad day (usually about one day every one or two weeks). If you can do work from home with your job, I'd defiitely talk to your employer about the possibility of doing that.

My bladder is terrible, so I have to get up to go to the toilet about once an hour, but getting up and walking to the toilet and back helps me stay awake/keep going. If you're someone who doesn't need the toilet much, I'd say drink more water, then you'll need to go more and most people don't get anywhere near the 2-3L of water/hydrating fluid they should drink every day anyway.

Also, something you might come across online with information about CFS/ME is the difference between low effort tasks and rest. Sometimes, rather than look up stuff on the internet during my lunch break, I'll just sit and stare into the abyss and let my mind wonder. You could do it with your eyes closed, but I find I'll usually fall asleep if I do it that way.

• Posted

Caroline. Chronic fatigue syndrome may be one of other diseases you own needing perspective as how best to grow tools to improve your life. I suggest you immediately purchase4 sheets of 3 inch wide sheet of memory foam the size bed you want from either Amazon Prime or softer sheets from net. Also take as many soma 30 min before bed such your brain relaxes and you sleep deep on your memory foam bed. I'm curious your age associated with this disease. I've seen much in this life to share.

• Posted

Hi Caroline, I have recently had a diagnosis of CFS from my doctor and am waiting to go to my local CFS Clinic.

I too love my job and wanted to go back to work. I tried a phased return after been off 7 weeks and it was a massive mistake, I could not do it and found that I crashed and burned after two days of 4 hours, I had a day off inbetween the shifts as well. This was frustrating and upsetting for me. I have now had 12 weeks off work and can't see myself going back soon. It's so frustrating as like I say I love my job, and I have a contract until the end of January so am frightened that I will loose my job ( they are fantastic with me but the job needs doing, so they won't renew my contract)

Please don't try and rush back to work and then try a phased return and see how it goes.

Of course I am not saying that the same will happen to you, I can only say what happened to me.

I went swimming on Monday to try and do something different and something I enjoyed before the illness. I used to do 50 to 60 lengths and this would not affect me in any way. I did 20 lengths and have suffered every day since. It's so frustrating and upsetting.

I hope you manage to get back to work and don't crash. 😁

• Posted

Take it steady Tracey . So important not to push yourself too far. Better to do just a couple of lengths and feel ok. Rather than all you did and be out of action for days afterwards. X
    • Posted

I have definitely learned the hard way. I am still struggling with pain and exhausted since Monday.
    • Posted

As time goes by you will realise how much you are able to do . And not overdo things too much . It is very hard but coming to terms with your limitations is part of the battle X
    • Posted

Thank you Tracy for your lovely reply. I prefer going to work so not sitting at home bored when I’m having a good 30 minutes! I hope to go back next week and see how it goes. I’m learning a bit about pacing and this is all from my own research on you tube. Look after yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Janet, thank you your reply. You’re right about knowing your limits. My brain wants to do 1000 things in one go and thinks at 300mph my body on the other hand thinks it’s an 80 year old woman! So learning my limits will be the tough bit.
    • Posted

Thanks Janet it really is hard, all I want to do is go back to work but it really was hard when I tried before and wiped me out.xx
  • Posted

It's very tricky. I loved my job and did everything I could think of to stay. It became obvious one morning when I couldn't get out of bed (and after that morning I was never the same) that it was not in my best interest to continue working. I think if I had heeded my body's warnings I could have avoided the severity of symptoms that resulted so I want to support you in doing what you think is best if you think keeping your job is best for you. However, if you strongly feel that you're body is saying "NO!" than I would suggest that there might be some very strong wisdom there that shouldn't be ignored. Yes, it's not fun to have to rearrange your life, but if you have family support or some soft place to fall, it will be worth it. It's your health. You might not fully comprehend the value of your health at the moment but if you push yourself over the threshold of return, you will know the value of it then. Fortunately I've been able to keep part of my job and do it at home. It's just a very small part of it but it's something. I live with my folks now. They are getting pretty elderly so I can help here and there. I also sell stuff on Ebay. I miss my job, but I know without any doubt that it was the right decision to leave.

• Posted

Same with me diann.. I carried on working ignoring how bad I was feeling. I am moderately edging on severely affected and housebound . 22yrs of ME x
    • Posted

Wow.... I'm always a little hesitant to sound like I am being negative but I truly believe that our bodies give us many warning signs for a very good reason. It's very difficult to know exactly what to do to respond particularly because this society is so "goal" oriented. I wish there were easy answers.

• Posted

You are not negative at all Dianna. You are being realistic. X
    • Posted

Hi Diana, thank you for your advice. I live on my own at the moment. My boyfriend comes over at weekends and has been amazing. My parents and sister live over an hour away But I know they’re at the end of the phone if I need them (although on a bad day don’t really want to speak to anyone). 

I’m glad you’ve got a business working from home. I’ve been setting up a business in network marketing which I love, but it’s gonna take a bit of time. 

I go back to work tomorrow so will be talking about how we can work around this which is best for them and my health.

• Posted

That's wonderful! Don't hold back when you communicate about what your body is experiencing and what (to the best of your ability) you think you need. It's best to up front right from the get go so they hear the depth of your situation. They may not really understand but at least if you don't hold back you can say you did your best. 

I have a weekend boyfriend too!! Haha... It's good to have someone who is not clingy and desperate for your company, isn't it? smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.