Any tips please?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I joined here yesterday. I’m currently being assessed to see if I have cfs, but it looks highly likely. 

Does anyone have any tips on how to get through a work day while being so tired? 

I love my job and so far they’ve been really good but I’ve has a week off just sleeping and really need to get back to work next week. 

Any tips would be great. 

Look forward to sharing ideas and joining with discussions.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Caroline

Sorry to hear you are not feeling great. May I ask how long have you had your symptoms ? Also what is your job ?To be frank with you , the way you are feeling needs to be taken not lightly. My advice would be to be very careful with a return to work. Pushing yourself , especially in the early period , can be very damaging ending up totally exhausted . I can well imagine you love your job and want to be back there, but you need to look out for yourself at this time .

IF you definitely have CFS/ME, I am sorry. There are varying degrees and I hope you have the mildest. Taking it steady now could make a big difference to the outcome. It is a very complex neurological disease.

I have had ME for 22yrs. I tried three times to return to work before I was diagnosed with it. I virtually collapsed at work. Was off sick a full year and was no better so was forced to take ill health retirement from my job. Paediatric nurse. Broke my heart forever.

Take it steady and I truly hope you are only mildly affected. X

• Posted

Hi Janet, my symptoms started about May this year, about 4 weeks after I started my job. I’m an office admin, it’s not a stressful job compared to what I’ve done in the past. 

I had glandular fever exactly 20 years ago and this feels very similar but what feels like a constant hangover. I’ve cut down dramatically on my alcohol intake to one small glass a week (because, you know it’s a Saturday!) 

I just don like letting people down and would prefer to be out working then indoors moping.

Look after yourself and thank you for your help.

• Posted

I like your spirit but do take it steady. You haven't had your symptoms very long so at a stage where if you take it steady, you may well have a good chance of recovery. You may well 'just" have a post viral fatigue .And thus if you are careful you may not end up with full blown CFS/ME. To be diagnosed with ME/CFS, you need to have had symptoms for at least six months. At least six symptoms persistently from a list of many, during that time.

I never like letting people down either but this disease is a real life changer and there has been little choice . Have to put yourself first really. Might sound selfish but it isn't. I call it Self preservation and is a must. I never mope ! Takes me so long to do anything I don't ever feel bored . Frustrated yes ! X

• Posted

Also, if you are not up to doing your job to full Potential , the others will have more to do anyway. If that makes sense? And in general most places don't appreciate a unwell person making the effort.

• Posted

That's interesting. I was also an office admin (for a church). I wanted to rock that job (and I did) because I loved the idea of working for my church. I was desperate for work and I know the feeling of not wanting to disappoint people. I was good at everything I did there and because I was good, they kept slowly increasing my workload almost without being noticeable. I didn't want to complain and I felt very fortunate to have a job I loved but I started to feel like I was constantly juggling balls and I had to make sure I didn't drop any of them. Even so, I managed to stick it out for 4 years and there were some things that definitely helped me "get by."

1) If you can sleep and feel refreshed when you wake up, it's a good sign. If not, then it helps to make sure you get about 20 minutes of meditation in once or twice a day. Even if you do sleep well, meditation can be crucial to "refill your bucket".

2) Before bedtime, take a couple hours to do things that help you "unwind." Nothing stimulating like computers or action tv shows or reading murder novels or stimulating phone calls or eating large meals. I would shut the tv down by 7pm and read calming books, took a bath, did some yoga, meditated, things like that.

3) I tried to get some kind of body work at least once a month. Accupuncture and naprapathic was very helpful. 

4) I stayed away from sugar and anything stimulating like caffeine (tho some people with CFS or CFS symptoms can actually be helped by a little bit of coffee. Drinking any amount of alcohol, however, I think taxes the adrenals. It always made me feel much worse. Also gluten made me much worse. 

5) When I would get to work in the morning, I was lucky because I was usually alone for a while. I took about 10-15 minutes to just sit and breathe with my eyes closed and the lights out. I focused on my out-breath and during my exhale I repeated the word "oooouuuuuut".  (out)   I let all other thoughts just set aside and that really helped me begin my day feeling calm and steady. I think that was one of the most helpful things I did. If you're not alone in your office you can come to work a little early and spend 10-15 minutes in your car parked someplace no one will bother you and do the exercise.

6) After a car accident I knew I needed help and adamantly requested an admin assistant. It made sense to the Board. I was the only one running the office and my recovery time from the accident started to drive home the need for a back up in case of further illness or a death in the family, etc. As it turned out, the person they hired to assist me became the one who took over after I became too ill to continue. I was very grateful for that. I didn't feel like I was leaving anyone in a lurch when I suddenly woke up one morning and couldn't even leave my bed.

I think if it hadn't been for the car accident, I may still be plugging along but in some ways it's been a real blessing that I had the accident. It occurred because I was so exhausted that I ran a red light. The incident forced me to stop pushing myself. Now the current admin at my church is dealing with a recent huge flood so there are flood issues, insurance company nightmares, renting a temporary church space (so she needs to go back and forth while our church is being renovated). Even though she has an assistant, sometimes she's there till midnight! That would have been me... ugh!

Anyway, there are some tips there that may help should you decide to keep working. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear your about to join this club. It's totally life changing on a daily basis. I'm a 20 year member. I'm in the medical marijuana here in Minnesota and I'm having alot of success with the products. I can't believe the relief I've had from severe inflammatory issues to my skin not being dry as a desert. I can read again maintain small tasks and sleeping at night. The best is a sense of self worth again. No more depression. It's amazing. I have gone 8 months without a major virus. Still so damn exhausted. Well I'm just glad they said coffee is good for you because I drink a ton. Coke isn't legal haha just kidding. Hang in there always try. Can't fault you for trying!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.