Any tried cognitive behavioral therapy??

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi, has anyone tried this. I am going to ask the doctor if i can start it. I would like to hear some peoples experiences about the therapy and what you had to do and how it helped or didn't help you. Thanks smile

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Another tip... I didn't do so well in my cbt and still really struggling now. I put that down to not clicking with my therapist. I felt a bit uncomfortable. Make sure u have a therapist u click with to get the most out your sessions. If you don't click at first ask to change or youll have to wait again. Xx
    • Posted

Tbh I can talk to any 1 lol I got everything of my chest from the very first person you see before starting cbt after waiting that 5 week and you start going to see the therapist do you go every week ? 
    • Posted

You see, i can talk to anyone too, but its very different when it comes to therapy. My problem was the way she explained and asked things. I wouldnt know how to answer her which made her feel i wasnt responding to the treatment how i should have been. You need to be totally 100% committed and engage in all the homework set. CBt DOES work though and it is the most effective treatment for anxiety and changing the way you think. That along with medication is the best combination. CBT worked for me, but like i say I still struggle which i think is due to not getting the most from my sessions because of the therapist. I went every week for 9 weeks. The usual amount of sessions is between 8 and 12 depending on how well its working for the individual. Good luck, and once youve all been once, youll know there isnt anything to worry about. in the waiting room just imagibe your sat at home on your sofa. before you know it your therapist will have called you in. Or even leave it till the last minute before going in and you will hopefully not have to wait long smile 

xxx

• Posted

I am a CBT therapist and have worked in the field of mental health for over 20 years. i have worked with many people with anxiety and depression. To me it is the best therapy approach because i have seen so many people get so much out of it. It really is not as scarey as you might think, but, you are absolutely right the therapist has to be someone you feel comfortable with. If you are worried about your first session write your thoughts down before you go and you can ask your questions when you get there.

It is what we call a collaborative approach, that means we work together, so the more you put in the more you will get out of it. The between sessions "homework' is the key. Liken it to driving lessons, if you dont practice between the lessons you will forget half of what you learnt! Good luck, as you tame the anxiety monster see your world open up.

• Posted

Hi Pollypoppy. Could i ask you something?!... As you probably read above, i didnt quite click with my therapist. I felt slightly uncomfortable with her and i can normally speak to anybody without thinking twice. Would there be a way i could seek more CBTwith a different therapist even though my sessions ended in Feb this year? I really didnt gain enough from the sessions as i could have. And my therapist didnt think i was progressing enough to carry on sad ... I have written a blog about my issues 'Obsessive Compulsive Questionning', would you mind aving a read to advise if its CBT you think i still need?

Thanks smile xxx

• Posted

I have read the blog. What you describe is very common it is the nature of the negative thinking that varies with the individual. More CBT may help, you may be able to find a different therapist that you are more comfortable working with. I would suggest you review the work you have done so far and ask yourself if you are using the strategies you have been taught? Ask for a refresher course of maybe 4 to 6 sessions, but go with an open mind. Change is a challenge, it can be scarey, don't go looking for reasons to keep doing the old behaviours, they're aren't working for you.
  • Posted

Below is the book CBT therapists give patients to read. It covers everything. its great!!.. 

Overcoming Low Self-esteem: Self-help Guide Using..., Fennell, Melanie

xxx

• Posted

Aiden, I wonder how your CBT is going, if you've tried it? FWIW, I have found CBT to be very helpful. I am almost entirely self taught, using Dr. David Burns' Book "The Feeling Good Handbook" as my guide.  

For me, the CBT techniques expoused by Dr. Burns are very helpful in-the-moment.  The difficulty is that thay are typically practiced with a pen and paper, which is slow and intrusive and not in-the-moment.  Therefore, I use an app called iCBT (and iCBT for iPad) which is quick, easy and private and follows CBT protocols well.

• Posted

I have had 15 weeks worth of cbt, initially very sceptical and think the therapist knew that, but at the end I had a positive experience from and actually helped, you just have to entirely honest with the therapist and just know it going to be hard work, but worth it

hope you are get the results you want from it, best of luck

• Posted

Yeah, It was really helpful for me. At the beginning stage, we will feel some difficulty in accepting other's opinions and concepts, but if you have a good counsellor, then everything will be easy. They know how to handle us. No worries, you will be alright. I too had Cognitive behavioral therapy with the help of Dr. Eliana cohen, an expert psychiatrist in Toronto. I had attended almost all the sessions and I started applying all the tips got from the session. It was really applying. All the best.

• Posted

Hi,

I am currently going through CBT and I would definitely recommend it. As scary as it seems, it is really helpful. The key is exposure. Exposing yourself to uncomfortable situations gradually, and after lengthy discussion. Once you've discussed things and you understand why a situation makes you feel so anxious, it is easier to put yourself into it with the comfort of a good therapist and safe environment. Gradually, you'll become more comfortable and the feeling is liberating. CBT is definitely worth it.

• Posted

Saw my phsycatrist, gave me medication and had a prettu bad experience first time and right now I'm going though hell with fear and dizziness
  • Posted

CBT is a great tool taking control of your mind and getting your thoughts retuned but it takes time and comitment. Expect good days and bad days...there will be tough days where the CBT doens't seem to work anymore. It's important to take time out for yourself and have some fun on these days...do things you've always wanted to do. I have a bucket list of sorts, but its a very simple one. Just trying things I havnt done before like checking out a new cafe or watching a movie I've always wanted to but never got round to makes such a huge difference. The feeling when you achieve it is fantastic! Filling your life with positive things like this will help give your CBT a boost!

• Posted

Hi!

Just out of curiosity, what made you try CBT? The reason for why Im asking is that Im thinking about maybe finally dealing with my issues once and for all. I normally get myself up after a few months of my "low periods" by just pushing myself a little bit and trying to keep my head above water, so to say, but its only a temporary solution and about a year after each time my moderate anxiety goes severe again and I get panic attacks and feel depressed and "mentally trapped".

Is CBT a long term solution to ones issues, in your opinion/experience? How has it been for you after?

• Posted

Life circumstances smile

I had a major lift shift with a family break down (my dad ditching us for a woman half his age caused a massive divde that ended in divorce and even court, my finances are ruined because of him, I'm stuck in now rent and I have an ongoing muscle wasting problem that affects my spine, neck and my bum. I live an active life as a dog walker but the muscles are slowly wasting away in those areas that  affects my mobility and energy...so i feel constantly under pressure by everything in general (if im not well enough to work I won't be able to pay my bills etc.massive worry!) I kept going back for tests but drs have no idea and they basically aren't interested. I hit rock bottom not surprisingly being under so much pressure...I am a naturally anxious person but that rocketed when I moved to my new flat  and with my outlook looking so bleak I decided to take charge and try to get my life back. Noticed how much my negative thinking was making my symtpoms feel much worse so I decided to try and change that with CBT which showed me a lot of my negative thoughts were a load of nonsense in the end and not helping me at all. I have good days and bad days with it still...but I then I came up with the idea of the 30things list (its basically a bucket list of 30 things I plan to do within the next year). Setting a deadline helps me stop proscrating and the ideas on the list were very simple...none of this tour around the world stuff just things like skimming stones at the beach, watching 30 recommended movies, trying 30 new foods and drinks, going on day trips in the UK i'd always wanted to try. And interestingly enough this list has changed my life :D...it's put the fun back in my life and help the CBT along too. And yet none of my circumstances have changed at all! Still stck in rent, financially ruined, my health is certaintly not getting better...but my attitude on life is so much better and more positive....but I needed that CBT there to give me the confidence to kick start the list. I throughly recommend it :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.