Any tried cognitive behavioral therapy??

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi, has anyone tried this. I am going to ask the doctor if i can start it. I would like to hear some peoples experiences about the therapy and what you had to do and how it helped or didn't help you. Thanks smile

5 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I know this post was written a long time ago but for anybody still wondering about CBT I will share my experience. I have anxiety and depression but I'm on low intensity CBT, The doctor gave me a card and I called and I got an appointment...eventually. It was about a five or six week wait. After having struggled with anxiety and depression for SO long without help it didn't seem that bad. I am currently in the process of recent CBT and I haven't finished. However I feel like the fact that somebody understands my emotions and helps me with them is already making me feel slightly better psychologically...I think many will find this helps them too. The important thing to remember, or how I like to see it, is that those of us that have been unlucky enough to suffer with anxiety just have to deal with it, nothing will eradicate it, we must learn to live with it and learn to handle it, we can't expect anything to remove it, just accept that some things will work. I will say CBT is a lot about self reflection and spending a lot of time analysing your thoughts and reassuring yourself, someth tint that becomes easier the more you do it. I find comfort in the fact that somebody out there is willing to invest so much time in me and help me when I don't pay them (I know the government does, this is just the way I think about it). I feel like CBT tries to cure anxiety by giving alternative views and trying to take our worries and thoughts that bring on our anxiety and try and take control of those, as opposed to them controlling our lives. I also feel like the more you put in, the more you get back. I would definitely recommend it, and definitely do your 'homework' and listen well to what your therapist tells you, even if it doesn't help too much, it's an experience and you'll be able to take something from it. Do not expect a miracle but be open minded! There are many suffering with anxiety and there's way of living with it. I hope this helped anybody thinking about trying CBT, I would recommend it. I can also update with my current situation when I finish my eight sessions!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.