Anybody experience pins and needles with PA

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone

I was just curious as to whether anyone with PA experiences pins and needles or slight numb feeling in hands and feet?

I also sometimes get it in my face.

I'm currently on Sulfasalazine and have been on it for several months. My joint pain has been getting increasingly worse!! My rheumatologist wants to start me on methotrexate but cannot at this time due to me having an oral antral fistula ( a connection from my gum to my sinus) caused by a complicated tooth extraction,and me being open to infections. I was wondering if it could be part of this horrible condition or whether there could possibly be something else going on? I'm feeling quite worried at the moment and any help would be much appreciated!!

Love to you all

Natalie xxx

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Might be worth getting your vit B12 tested if you’ve not had it done recently as low levels can cause needles and pins and numbness. I have to have regular shots as I can’t absorb it from my food. Unfortunately one autoimmune condition can often lead to another. 
  • Posted

Hi Natalie, really sorry you have had this diagnosis pet, it’s not an easy one to swallow is it?  I have had psoriasis for 40 years and after pregnancy 20 years ago I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, although looking back I’d probably had it for many more years. I have been on every treatment, some of which helped initially but I’ve always found no matter how good a medication I seem to become immune to it’s benefits after a period of time. This is probably due to our immune systems being in overdrive! I have gained a lot of weight recently due to inactivity due to constant fatigue and pain. Sometimes getting through each day is such a challenge never mind pretending for families sake that you are doing better than you are. I try to swim several times a week as I find this can help keep flare ups at bay but a lot of the time lack both the motivation or strength to get there. I feel people like us can be very unjustifiably discriminated against. I have some,no doubt hard working neighbors who seem to think I being on state benefits mean I’m nothing but a lazy b***h I recently had a minor argument with a neighbour concerning trees and boundaries which ended up with her shouting at me that I was nothing but a lazy fat cow! Nice eh? I was a nurse for 10 years, loved my job as well as the salary and would go back to it in a heartbeat if possible. My main problem was for a long time my lower back but in recent years my hands have became my main problem, I have huge amount of swelling in my fingers and pain in both wrists which can also mean stiffness and pins and needles. I keep my hands moving constantly to try to reduce swelling and also use hand splints which are a Godsend! I at present am awaiting a surgical review as MRI results show I have torn rotator cuff in left shoulder, I also have tennis elbow in right arm. I have been self injecting under GP guidance Methotrexate once a week for 2 years now, after saying no to it for many years due to fear of side effects! I can honestly say I’ve found it the best drug I’ve ever been on without a doubt. My skin is 98% clear now for first time since I was 8 years old! I do still have swelling and stiffness but I had got to the stage where I was truly not managing to live very well so thought I’d give it a go! I couldn’t stomach oral Methotrexate but manage well doing injections. It has most days reduced my symptoms to a place where I can drive again, get out and feel like a better version of what I’d become. I don’t feel it has much effect on the tiredness or indeed the pain but my major flare ups seem way reduced so it’s good! I also get bit B12 injection every 3 months but sometimes require more often depending on bloods. Keeping your mental health tip top is very important too. I just never let myself dwell too much on negative feelings as it does nothing but harm. Life’s not what it was but could be way worse that’s how I think day to day ?? sleep or lack of it is a major thing with me but again I just push myself when I can and rest when I can’t. Push for regular rheumatology appointments and ask for scans Physio etc if you are worried. But, don’t look too much forward about what may happen as it probably won’t. I was told by a Dermatologist when I was 20 I’d be lucky not to be in a wheelchair by the age of 40 so made that my goal to never allow that to happen! Try to find what treatment works best for you, I’d say give Methotrexate a try! Never worry about what others think and try to live life to the full and smile smile smile!!! Just thought by giving my abbreviated history it may be of some help to you? Hope so but sorry if I went on Little too much. I’d be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else may have as after all this time I’ve had quite a varied experience of psoriatic arthritis. Oh I also eliminated all dairy and citrus as that aggravates ps ?? D

• Posted

I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and also have an uncomfortable pins-and-needles feeling in my thumbs and fingers.  I have been alternating cortisone cream, benedryl cream and cbd oil on them.  I wear a latex or nitrile glove to keep my thumbs and fingertips "soaking" in these treatments, and this seems to help.  

• Posted

Ugh! That's bad luck! MTX can add a valuable boost to Sulphasalazine.

What's going to happen about the fistula? Any further DMARD will be unlikely with this condition until its sorted.

Yes, I had paresthesia - pins and needles- in my hands caused, I'm told, by inflammatory swelling of the ligaments in the wrist and elbow (not the only cause, I hasten to add) Is the tingling on the inside or outside of the hand? Or both? 

Carpal / Cubital Tunnel syndrome is what its often called. It can be very painful especially at night 

Did you mention it to the rheumatologist? If not ring the rheumatology nurse up and tell her

Kate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.