Anybody experience pins and needles with PA

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi everyone

I was just curious as to whether anyone with PA experiences pins and needles or slight numb feeling in hands and feet?

I also sometimes get it in my face.

I'm currently on Sulfasalazine and have been on it for several months. My joint pain has been getting increasingly worse!! My rheumatologist wants to start me on methotrexate but cannot at this time due to me having an oral antral fistula ( a connection from my gum to my sinus) caused by a complicated tooth extraction,and me being open to infections. I was wondering if it could be part of this horrible condition or whether there could possibly be something else going on? I'm feeling quite worried at the moment and any help would be much appreciated!!

Love to you all

Natalie xxx

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Natalie 

I sometimes get a numb feeling in my thigh but not that often i have never connected it with have PA but it might be connected of it might be one of the drugs causing it 

• Posted

Hi Robert

How are you doing now? Sorry it's taken so long to reply to you especially after reading how unwell you were. I developed severe pneumonia whilst taking Humira 3 years ago + like you was hospitalised for over a week. After 3 months Humira (which had been working well) was restarted however without success. My rheumy suggested that my body had formed antibodies so that was the end of that.

4 weeks ago I started taking Apremilast, a 2nd daily pill. No relief yet. I'm going to hospital every 4/5 weeks to get both knees aspirated and multi site cortisone injections. It's the only thing that reduces pain and increases mobility. Having "fat" knees is very restrictive. Apremilast is the 9th conventional treatment I've been on now, I'm lucky I have a rheumatologist who continues to seek a solution. My inflammatory markers, both CRP & ESR have been sky high for over 12 months & as Dr X explained to me yesterday, that's the key, to reduce inflammation, that's when the disease is under control. Unfortunately, I'm still on daily steroids currently 20mg prednisilone. It's awful stuff, I thought the bloating in face and torso was due to fluid retention but Dr X told me that steroids redistribute the body fat. It's horrible Robert, I have a fat moon face. I can't bear to look in the mirror and I'm going out less and less which is not good for mental health, is it? My skin remains clear, it's the joints that are receiving the full blast of PsA.

Are you still on Cimzia? I had such high hope for Cosentyx as it works in a slightly different way to the other bio's (not for me sadly).

There are 2 drugs currently available for RA which should be approved for PsA in December - Baricitinib (unsure of spelling) & Tofacitinib, if you fancy some light reading!!!!

I have asked DWP for a review of my PIP. I receive the lower rate for mobility but have had to use a bed raiser etc etc for over 6 months and crutches are a must. Will let you know how it goes. It's the chronic pain that really pulls me low, just no escape despite heavy duty painkillers. I'm currently trying alternative stuff, Reiki, Acupuncture, Chakra balancing & would be interested to hear from anyone who has had good experiences or if I'm wasting my money!!

Once again, dear Robert, sorry it's taken me so long to reply; you are certainly in my thoughts

Sheila xx

• Posted

Hi Sheila 

So sorry to hear how much pain you are in. Good to hear you have a decent Rhumy that is looking after you and persisting to get you as good as possible. 

I agree it is not good for you not to go out for your health or mental health.

Yes I am still on Cimzia, although I dont feel it is working as well as it was before the pneumonia

Dont worry about the time it takes to reply we all have busy lives. I hope your health starts to improve very soon. 

Best wishes 

Robert xx

• Posted

Sheila, I also have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.  For me, changing my diet somewhat has made a huge difference.  I have much less pain now.  Upon the advice of my doctor,  I stopped eating nightshade vegetables and milk products (including cheese).  

I used to eat tomato and cheese nearly every day, so it was weird at first to stop eating these foods, although I felt so much better I was able to get out of bed and get some things done.  Then, without thinking, I ate a couple bites of cheese and I was back in bed for about 10 hours with bad pain again.  There's something in these foods that seems to overstimulate the immune system.

Other nightshade vegetables are potatoes, eggplant, and peppers (including paprika.)

I also use flexible cold packs on any small areas of intense pain that bother me, like feet, hand, wrist, knees.  They help calm down the inflammation and pain as well.

• Posted

Hi Natalie and all

nerve conduction study was normal so I guess pins and needles or tingling is just part of PsA. Just another symptom to bear. Oh goodness. ......😂

peace to all x

• Posted

Hi Natalie

Yes I do also feel pins and needles, but only on my hands, my feets are still ok. My finger joints are affected. My doctores gave my some homeopathic pills, which by normal pain are great, and if the pain is to strong I use an OTC pain killer. I've bought a while ago some Salt and Mud from the Dead Sea, this is also a great help against my pain. All the best.

• Posted

Hi Natalie 

update to my earlier reply - yes, pins and needles persist with me. Worse in the evening or I'm more aware, possibly tiredness.  I've had 2 nerve conduction studies, about 12 months apart, which thankfully were normal. I take Gabepentin  (on prescription ) & I believe that there's another POM called Pregablin which may alleviate your symptoms. Ask your rheumy or GP.

Currently taking Cosentyx  for my PsA.  I can honestly say I've experienced my best 4 weeks in years,  however  (why is there always a "but" with PsA?) I'm absolutely floored over past 3 days, pain horrendous and mobility very poor to the point of spending virtually all day in bed. It's wicked, especially after 4 weeks where I felt normal again; perhaps I've overdone things. However, I mustn't grumble too much, I believe Cosentyx is the "one" & this is a temporary setback!

Are you married yet?

sheila the unmarried! 

• Posted

Hi Natalie

I get pins and needles or it feels like a numb hands/hands I normally find it when I first wake up, i beenputting it down to sleeping in a funny position. But maybe its not that. hard to tell really as i dont know how i slept!

• Posted

Robert

I also have pins and needles in my hand every morning after sleeping.. also if I sit In a particular position for too long 🤔 Does this sound familiar to you?

• Posted

Hi Robert,

While since we've spoken, just wanted to say hi and ask how you're keeping? I think you were experiencing good results from Cimzia and sincerely hope that's still the case. Unfortunately, it was not the one for me. I waited for 8/9 months last year for Cosentyx to be licensed by NICE for treating PsA and was delighted to start taking it in June 2017. It works in a slightly different way to other bio's so I was very hopeful it would be The One! (Enbrel, Humira, Stelara, Cimzia, plus 3 DMARD's unfortunately not worked for me). Initially, I had a good response, 3 months where CRP & ESR markers reducing. Then from October on my monthly bloods shot back up, pain increased, mobility decreased. I saw my rheumy 2 weeks ago for aspiration of both knees plus another methylprednisilone infusion. For the 1st time, he said we're running out of treatment options - however there is 1 (totally unpronounceable name) currently used for RA that may be licensed. Meanwhile, it's painkillers, daily steroids (now 17.5mg down from 30mg), TENS machine & Gin! I know 3 people who share this disease who have achieved remission with one of the above bio's and I will be honest, I'm envious! I worry about the osteoporosis I have and would like to stop the steroids. I had a simple fall in December down 4 stairs and broke 4 bones; Rheumy concerned so arranging another bone density scan. I wonder whether to stop the steroids (rheumatology team say no). Truly don't know what to do. Without a doubt PsA is progressing, mobility is decreasing and I am frightened of what the future holds. I try to remain positive, perhaps the disease will 'burn out' as it does for some people. My aunt had Lupus for 11 years and that's what happened to her.

I truly hope you are well and enjoying life. Sheila xx

• Posted

Hi Sheila 

How nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you are going through the mill with the PSA and your accident.Hopefully you will get the new drug once it has been licensed.

You are correct  I am still on Cimzia and yes intially it was great, that was until last March when i got Pneumonia. I had been getting like a virtigo feeling for about 2 weeks before I told anyone including my wife when it suddenly got worse, went and saw the doctor who was not happy with me and my symptoms so carted me off to hospital 7 hours later I was send home being told it was a viral infection take paracetamol and i will be ok, Almost a week later I was worse than ever another doctor visit and back to hospital when low and behold Oh you got pneumonia erm no Shxt sherlock I was down to only being able to breath for 90 seconds without oxygen ( they said another 2 days and i would of been pushing up the daisies lol, 9 days later I came out of hospital two and a half stone lighter ut a lot better less than 24hrs later I was back in with an allergic reaction to one of the meds which brought me out in a rash from head to toe in less than 30 mins so had another 3 days in hospital until they found out which drug caused it. then again 5 weeks later admitted back for a chest infection for another couple of days. Since then I had to stop methatrexate as liver function started playing up but then the psoriasis came back so rhumy put me back on a lower dose which has cleared the psoriasis up again and bloods still coming back ok, As for the cimzia It is not working as well as it was before the pneumonia hit me. I have put the weight loss back on plus a few more pounds so not great, I having a lot of back pain with my back giving way on a daily basis most weeks I have also now got my left thigh going numb on me all the time no matter if I am sitting laying down standing or walking, Doctor thinks it is a trapped nerve and given my Narproxin for it which is not making any difference, advised to wear looser clothing not wear a belt and try to lose some weight. none of which is working or helping. So my condition is now worse than it was 12 months ago. Also told I have COPD now too. 

Had a reassement for PIP a little while ago and was given PIP again for another 5 years. 

Otherwise I am all good lol 

Rob x

• Posted

Also forgot to add I am no longer on Methatrxate atm but I am on Cimzia, However I have found since coming off MTX my Psoriasis has come back worse than  I have ever had it im 52 now and had Psoriasis since 27 so almost 26 years but since coming off MTX I am covered head to toe with it, before I would have it on my calfes elbows and the small of my back but now I have it all over including my face inside my elbows the whole of my arms shoulders back legs head basically everywhere. I am putting it down to coming off  MTX I am due to see my Rhumy on the 30th so will confirm hopefully then, 

I was taken off MTX as my immune system has become so low that I have be in Hospital twice in 8 weeks once with pneumonia and another infection. So as a precaution Mtx has been withdrawn to allow my immune system to recover well thats the hope. 

• Posted

Hi Everyone I understand the rant and rave.No one understands the pain I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in June plus diabetic and hashimotos disease on top of all the everyday life my employers are trying to say I am not doing a good enough job now after 8 years.I am in boot cast because of Achillitis I am on injection of methotrexate plus all my other meds I am insulin dependent Feel like my life is doomed been very depressed. a Any suggestion all I want to do is cry all the time😭

• Posted

Hello everyone, this is my first day, and sorry to hear all the difficulties you are going through, so I gathered that this is going to be a long journey, but I will try my best to be positive.

I got my diagnosis only yesterday for psoriatic spondilo Arthritis, tough but this is something that I have to live with it.......

So I am very new to everything and my question is my Rhumatalogist asked to take Salazopyrin 1000 BD and I have been reading so many articles to check whether this is a steroid or does it has nasty side effects like steroids.. ..

Please help me to get my mind around it, I know I have to take something strong like that to minimise my symptoms.

Thank you for listening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.