Anybody hear of a Carcinoid Tumor?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had bloods done and Dr said blood test for Carcinoid Tumor came back high....Just wondering if any of you ladies have heard of that....Looked it up and its full of hormones and they can remove it and symptoms will be gone...have to get more test done to see if thats whats goin on but just wondered if anyone heard of this before?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Laurie 

sorry sweetie i dont know too much about carcinoid tumour, or syndrome..

have you been having some symptoms ... 

i saw this bit about it ..

Some gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors can cause symptoms such as abdominal pain, constipation, bleeding, or cramping.

The lung carcinoids can cause infection, pneumonia, or chronic cough.

Carcinoid tumors can also lead to two conditions: Carcinoid syndrome and Cushing's syndrome.

Symptoms of carcinoid syndrome include diarrhea, flushing of the skin, wheezing, shortness of breath, abdominal cramps, and heart palpitations.

what symptoms have you  been having Laurie...

big hugs Jay xx

• Posted

Well my symptoms are like what most ladies have on here...I have felt better on and off and i dont think dr really thinks its peri and thats why he did this blood test because he said these symptoms ive had and been having are the same as one of these tumors because they are made up of hormones..waiting for them to call me about furthur testing that needs to be done...so i guess its a wait and see till i get other test done..just trying not to worry about it till i need to....thanks Jay.....xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Laurie

well like Kerry says ... Don't worry... 

Probably turn out to be peri after all..

i cant rememeber your age laurie ..

you do right, dont worry.... Like Kerry says, probably turn out to be nothing 

Big hugs 

Jay xx

• Posted

Ill be 41 in six days Jay..yes it prob is peri and some days anxiety is a killer...been better since started vitamins but still creeps up at times....
    • Posted

Hi Laurie

heres that Vit D info.

Test Yourself for "D"eficiency from Hawkeshealth

With your thumb, press on your sternum (breastbone). 

Is it tender or painful?

Now, press on the tibia (shin bone) of both your legs. 

Are they sore or tender?

If the answer is "yes" to both of these tests then you have a 93% chance of being Vitamin D deficient.  

• Posted

Hi laurie,

Just wanted to reassure you, I had the same results a year ago (chromogranin A and gastrine were high) and the doctors started looking for a carcinoid tumour or a neuro endocrine tumour. The results came back negative and it was all due to extreme acidity in my stomach as I have atrophic gastritis. there is another woman who posts here who is American and she had the same experience; in her case they found nothing wrong other than she was in the menopause. I know the American lady also had stomach issues. My doctor told me I wasn't the first case he had seen. I jumped to conclusions when I got the test results and got myself in a state; in the end it was all for nothing. Stay positive!

• Posted

Oh Kerry thank you so much for your reply...Im trying not to get all worried about it...No need to get upset when it could be nothing...just never heard of this before...my stomach is terrible...always making noisies and i cant eat until later in day and often just feel sick..on a acid med but sometimes that doesnt help at all...what do you take for your stomach and does it cause you chest pain or pain under your left breast?
    • Posted

Hi Laurie

my digestive is awful... every morning upset tum, well almost..

and gurgly... 

when you said pain in chest... Its not your sternum is it..

astrid had this and it was vit D defiency ..

see if i can repost that info about it

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Laurie

oh thats good then..

and good you take vit D for peri too..

Jay x

• Posted

Yes I had chest pain amongst a string of symptoms including the face flushing so I was convinced i had it; Apparently the acid meds can cause acidity in the long term, so this could be contributing to your problems. My stomach was so bad that I couldn't take anything for it even the acid reducing meds hurt me, so i had to do it naturally. i cut out alcohol, dairy, wheat, sugar red meat and anything acidic (tomatoes, citrus etc) basically I eat an alkaline diet and 18 months later things have settled down to the point that I can have the occasional treat. I'm glad I've been able to reassure you, I know I was desperate when i got the results back and the whole circus of hospital visits started. As I said to my doctor 'sometimes you hear hooves and you think it's horses, but sometimes it turns out to be a zebra!' It was a zebra in my case, just a dodgy tum, and it all started with the peri menopause. feel free to ask me anything if you're worried. xxx 
    • Posted

Hi Kerry!!!!Just wondering when you had all your trouble with stomach did you get nasty taste in mouth and feel like your head was full of prssure and feel like you could get headache but never do?? And pressure under breastbone all across your stomach and feel like a ball is stuck between stomach and chest????sorry so many ?? but just wondering if all this is gas build up...and it doesnt like to go away very fast......thank you so much!!!!
    • Posted

I didn't get the nasty taste but my husband told me my breath was foul! I've had more headaches than I usually do and the strangest feelings in my chest; I wouldn't describe it like a ball it was more like a crawling sensation. Your stomach can give you the strangest symptoms and sensations because if you're not absorbing nutrients you can have defieciencies which in turn make you ill. Good luck with your tests, keep us informed. xxx  
    • Posted

Hi Laurie

i get a metallic taste from time to time ..

it is a peri symptom due to hormone decline etc 

jay xx 

• Posted

Good Morning, I just saw this site and was reading the posts. In January I started having a lot of pain and was really sick. I have heart disease so my cardiologist order an Endoscipy to check for a esphogeal ulcer. It was clear but did find 3 small tumours that turned out to be Garstic Carcinoid. They removed the small tumors and I started feeeling some what better but my family doctor sent to an oncologist that specializes in Carcinoid. I had 5 more removed in May. My Gastrin and Chromogranin counts where very high. I was on Nexium for a couple months but have been taken off as it really did not help. I have good days but some days my stomach is so swollen and in so much pain it really is miserable. The problem is the pancreas produces to much gastrin. Nothing really to help it at this time. I have endoscopy every year now to keep tumors removed. They will do PET scans yearly and CT scan twice a year to watch for spreading or growth of the tumors in between the endoscopy..
    • Posted

Hi DebbieLynn!!!!Wow sorry to hear about this but glad they found them and got them removed!!I had to catch my urine for 24 hours to check for tumors but came back neg so that was good news...Just went to heart dr yesterday and he told me he thinks chest pain and fatigue and palps are all due to peri but hes doin a stress test on me Thursday to rule it out for sure....amazing what peri does to you!!!Hope your feeling better now and thank you for your response.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.