anyone been overmedicated?

Posted , 60 users are following.

I Was wondering if anyone had experienced being ivovermedicated and what were your symptoms?

I've been going through hell the last month with extreme anxiety and tiredness feeling dizzy/lightheaded random pains in head and eyes, and now I've  had it confirmed I've been taking 25mcg to much, anyone experienced something similar I've felt like I've been going out of my mind x

4 likes, 164 replies

164 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Dizzydoll  I have suffered with achey body (life flu) and sore feet as well as slow body movments for about 5 years andwas convinced it was due to my levthyroxine medication however my GP wouldn't hear of it.  Over the years myGP has tried different things to try to solve my pain etc and nothing worked.  10 weeks ago I went back to see my GP and demand that she listen to me I asked her to reduce my medication from 100mcg to 75mcg and at first she said no but then agreed when I said that I would reduce it myself with or without her.  First 6weeks nothing felt different, had a blood test which said I was in normal range, then about 8 weeks in I started to feel better less pain, no aches.  12 weeks on and I feel fantastic, ive started cycling to work, excersise when I'm not at work.  Im in no pain, I've lost 12lb in weight and yes my GP states I was obviously over medicated, she should have listened to me years ago. luckily for you it has been found quickly without you suffering for many years.  Let us know how you get on xx
    • Posted

Oh dear I'm so sorry you suffered for so long but glad your doing much better, il keep you posted I hope it don't take to long to resolve I feel so strange it's quite frightening x
    • Posted

Hi dizzi. I had a complete thyroidectomy 4 years ago and have been on 100microgrames of thyroxine ever since. In the last couple of months ive had nothing but sleepless nights fatigue and waking up with hot sweats with palpitations. Then i just spend the rest of the sleep time staring at the ceiling thinking what on earth is wrong with me. My recent blood test shows levels of t4 high and beyond the normal range. However ive looked high and low on these forums as to what folk have achieved after sucha discovery. I go to see yet another endocrinologist (this time in curacao) to see if i  can get some common sense sorted. Because im a bit of a traveller with my work its difficult to attend the same medical practice and i dont want any doctor treating symptoms without undersanding that my endocrine system is way out of balance

cheers kevin

• Posted

Hello:

I read your post regarding being overmedicated from 3 years ago.  Hopefully you are still registered with the site.  I was wondering how you are feeling nowadays.  I think I have been overmedicated for the past 10 months on Levothyroxine.  Terrible, terrible symptoms (wont go into details).  People thinking I am having a breakdown.  (my wife was going through double mastectomy at the same time - she is doing well now)  Admitted to the hospital 3 times for multiple things.  Many tests which are all normal (thankfully).  It was my suggestion to my doctor to reduce my dose from 150 to 125 and that was about 4 weeks ago.  Symptoms seem to be slowly diminishing.  Hoping that I will be well in a few more weeks.

Thanks

Dave

• Posted

Yes I was over medicated and I felt awful. Anxious. It was very gradual but eventually things calmed down and life got better. You will be fine just give it time. 
    • Edited

Hi Dave,

I’m sorry you have been suffering for a while with overmedication.

It happened to me in March of this year and took a few months to feel like ‘me’ again.

Terrifying anxiety levels, weak and trembling limbs, extremely dry mouth, nausea, zero appetite, heart irregularities and acute insomnia. I thought I was losing my mind!

The good news is, the symptoms began to gradually decrease until I felt normal again. 

It will get better for you Dave- be mindful of adjustments to future doses, some of us are v sensitive to the slightest increase- we’re all different.

Take care Dave.

Jane 

• Edited

I’ve always had a low blood pressure reading, but it did affect my sugar levels, I ate almonds ever couple of hours to try and balance things out. My heart rate was intermittently faster, but not overly. I had chest pains that radiated down my arms and pain in my kidney area and legs. The worst symptom by far was how it affected me mentally. 

You will feel fine soon Dave, it will be gradual at first as thyroxine takes a while to leave the system, but you will get back to where you were before having your dosage raised.

Take care 😊

• Posted

Hello, 

I am hypothyroid patient and taking 125 mcg,and after that I had panic attacks, all symptoms of anxiety , zero apetite . 

Then doc said my t4 value is 24 .

And he said u have to lower ur synthyroid dose from 125 to 112 .

I wana ask when I get feel better? Or is this dose reduction really effect?

Plz reply me 

Or u can contact me on 011923046166123

That's my whatsapp num

• Posted

Hello,

I am so soory to hear that u have suffered a lot and for many years ... These symptoms are really awful.... U have so much patience dear ... I am also suffering from these horrible things .... And desperately want to get rid of it...

• Posted

Hello,

I am also suffering from levothyroxin overmedication . And list of symptoms are getting on and on,

This is my week one after the dose reduction from125 to 112

. I want to ask when I will feel better. Because it ruined my life

Please reply me...

• Edited

Well... I am doing about 90% better.  Doctor cut levo dosage back from 150 to 100.  But, he also suggested I start Paxil which I did.  Took several weeks to get used to.  I don't know what started all my problems.  Maybe stress response, maybe started from the high dosage of the Levo.  I was going through a bad time.  Wife had mastectomy, I was having problems myself.  Multitude of symptoms, some days nauseated all day, IBS,  combined with high BP.  Hospitalized three times, for low sodium, heart palps, and twisted bowel all due to BP meds (possibly) .  All kinds of tests - all normal thank God.   I sometimes think all my problems were due to the stress because they seem to flare up a bit when stressed.  But nowhere near as bad as before.  Never imagined in my life that stress could do this to a person.  I will pray that you find help for your symptoms.

• Posted

Thank u Dave for replying .

Are hypothyroid first means did levothyroxin r over medication did this?

Because I was hypo and the 125 dosage is so high for me and shows the side effects then doc told me to do blood test .tsh values are 0.19 and t4 value is24

Then after that he reduced dose from 125 to 112 but after 3 weeks it went  from 0.19 to 0.03 

Then he said it's getting more hyper and prescribed me to take 88mcg  that's my week 1 

When I will b get better ?

M getting so weak no energy ,

Think like crazy is it all due to that?

• Posted

Hello Jane,

Today is my 4 day of week 4 I am feeling my body is slowing down 

I am really worried about that

Is it normal to feel like this in dose adjustment?

Plz tell me.

• Posted

Hey Sania,

You only have 1 week and 3 days to wait until you can have you bloods checked again. It will give you and your GP a better idea of whether you are still over medicated or possibly undermedicated. Hang in there Sania, you’ve come this far. Obviously if you are still worried, talk to your practice nurse or GP. I forgot to mention, there is The British Thyroid Foundation on line, you may be interested in having a look. 

Jane 😊

• Posted

Hello 

Can I talk to u plzzzzz I am so anxious about my situation

• Posted

Hello Sania 

I was over medicated and 6 weeks ago reduced from 125 to 75 mcgs thyroxine at hospital instructions.. I now feel weak, hissing in ears, have heart palpitations and severe agitation. I feel under medicated now. I have been so weak and agitated today that I took an extra 25 mcgs without first checking with a doctor.  I also woke early this morning with a low pulse (59) and felt faint. 

Could anyone else advise if they are familiar with these symptoms. 

My recent tests show TSH is 1.7 and T4 16.9 and T3 3.2. 

All normal results but I am far from normal. 

Thank you 

• Posted

Hi Mary.

I’m sorry you are feeling so unwell.

You can see the previous comments regarding being overmedicated, then  undermedicated. If I’ve learnt anything, it is to adjust gradually and that YOU know your body and the effect medication has on it.

Low pulse rate, feeling wooly headed, dizzy and air hunger, feeling v sleepy-were all symptoms I experienced being under medicated. Being overmedicated caused me intense anxiety, weakness, sweats, palpitations and rapid heart rate, dry mouth and eyes. Dreadful. 

Visit your GP and explain your symptoms, it sounds like it was too big of a drop all at once. Try to resist adjusting meds without consulting your GP first.

Good luck Mary. Hope you get sorted and feel better real soon. 😊

• Posted

Hello, I am currently experiencing all the same symptoms you listed and am reducing my levo following my doctors instructions. Trying to be patient and not obsess over everything, but it is a hellish thing. I try to remind myself it took awhile to get to this state and will take a bit to stabilize.
    • Posted

Hi Eva,

You’re right, it will take a little time to settle, in the meantime, be reassured you will feel less and less like you have been. 

The symptoms are horrible, but you know the cause and that you will soon feel much better. 😊

• Posted

Thank you, it was helpful to read through all the comments. Everyone seems to have a little different problems. It's only been a week on the lower dose and I feel almost undermedicated but could be part of adjusting. I don't really believe in going strictly by labs which makes this whole thing a little confusing. I've read there are so many variables that can affect lab values.

• Posted

Hang in there Eva.  You're right about it taking awhile to get there and likewise to stabilize after a change.  Hopefully you will feel relief as the weeks go by.  I've been there too.

• Posted

Hello, I’m a 19 year old f and have been hypothyroid since I was about 12. I’ve been on synthroid since then and as of a few months ago my doctor upped my dosage. I started having heart palpitations, anxiety, and insomnia so I went back and got it lowered again. It’s been almost 5 weeks since I started taking the lower dosage and I’m not really feeling much change. Still the same anxiety, trembling legs, fast heart rate, I also have this weird headache around my eye area that won’t seen to go away. I’m starting school this week and I have major brain fog so I can’t concentrate at all. I’ve just been told to wait out the symptoms and it’s just been tough. This has effected me so much and I’m just wondering if there’s a light at the end of this tunnel. rolleyes 

Any reply would help <3 

• Posted

Kristin13798,   do you know what your thyroid lab results were before you got the increase?  

The tsh, ft4, and ft3. Also, what dose were you on and what dose did your dr. increase you to?

Sometimes when our thyroid levels are too low, we can have symptoms of anxiety too.

• Posted

Kristen,   another question......were you feeling okay before your doctor increased your dose?
    • Posted

Hello, I do not know the exact results of my thyroid levels before it was increased. One of the levels were off and he said once we went up a dose that I would start having more energy and not be so tired all the time. So, I moved up from .075 to .088. I went back and got a blood test and he  agreed it was little too much for me lol. Yes I was feeling fine for the most part before this increase. I was always a little anxious here and there but only under stressful situations, but now it’s kinda at the point where I’ll be at rest and feeling my heart beat really fast. Kinda regret agreeing to moving up a dose now 🤒. 

• Posted

Hello, I am going through very similar symptoms as you. On my third week of lower dose and finally starting to feel better. My doctor also had me skip a few doses on alternating days to help with the hyper thyroid symptoms. That did seem to help get things going the right direction.
    • Posted

Kristin, since you were only on the 88 dose for 3 months, it shouldn't take too long for your body to 

readjust back to the 75.   However, what you are getting with the increased heart rate is something

I have experienced after reducing my dose.  It's probably the extra thyroid hormone leaving your body.

That should start to settle down more and more as the weeks go by.

I also have a tendency toward being anxious, so I will feel those thyroid changes more than the

average person.  

Yah, I guess you could chalk that up to experience.  Perhaps your tiredness prior to the dose increase

is not necessarily thyroid related now that you know the increase didn't help.

• Posted

Hi Mary how are you doing now? What are your references ranges for tsh t4 and t3? I feel over medicated also irritated aniexty panic attacks have to wear glasses when I’m out in the bright light can’t sleep everything is hightened . I currently lowered my 175 to 150 and I’m thinking of just taking 125 for only one day. It’s only been a week on 150 I think with synthriod it takes time to feel the difference?
    • Posted

Hey just wondering how are your levels now on .88 I also feel over medicated and what a horriable feeling it’s like your can’t leave your house because you feel so weird and everything is hightened. Noises are louder then usually I can’t think straight and don’t remember what I did 5 min ago. How many week in between changing medication
    • Posted

hello sania01971

not sure if you are still on this site but if you are maybe u can help me i am suffering from levothyroxin overmedication had thyroid totally removed 3 years ago everything was fine until july this year when my P.A told me i was overmedicated long story short she told me STOP medication start again lower dose went back to dr 6 weeks later still overmedicated she told me again to STOP medication AGAIN for 6DAYS and start lower dose now waiting to go back in November. Did you ever get yours under control if so how long did it take and did your doctor ever tell you to stop medication or did they just put you on lower dose right away .......

• Posted

hello

i'm having to something i have been over medicated since july this year and still over medicated dr has lowered my dose from 150mg ,125mg and now 100mg go back to doctors in November but still having the same thing going on with a few changes like tighten my chest muscle aches did you ever get yours fix also when doctor lowered my dose my doctor told me to stop my medication for 5-6 days did your doctor do that your did they just go right to the lower dose

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I know this is a really old post, but wanted to reach out as I am going through the same thing you experienced and it has been dreadful!

I went gluten free a year ago and started experiencing hyper symptoms - racing pulse, frequent bowel movements, anxiety and achey body (fluish) as you mention. After months my blood tests finally showed over medication, and I have been dropping meds since Sept. Felt like crap off and on (mostly on) for a YEAR!

So you simply had to drop your medication from 100 to 75 to feel better is that correct? And it took 6 - 8 weeks to notice a difference! I am so sick of feeling bad! We are closely monitoring blood to see where I'm going, but it is a slow process!

• Posted

Sania

That's a big dose change 125mcg to 75mcg it's no wonder your not feeling so good, you should have slowly reduced over time not all at once what a system shocker are you feeling better?

Everyone needs to put the lab ranges in or all your lab numbers or they are just numbers since each lab has different values. i.e. TSH 1.46 (0.5 - 4)

Grace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.