Anyone cheat (be honest) with weight bearing?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I attempted to go to the store all by myself, just a convenience store. It was my first time trying to use crutches. I had issues, I couldn't carry any items to the counter. Luckily the clerk helped me. I was so off balance I ended up stepping on my foot quite a bit. I hope I didn't do major damage. I am 5 weeks out and almost out of instinct my foot seems to want to hit the floor more and more. I readcthe anatomy of bone healing and it said a little weight actually sends a message to the brain to repair the bone. Anyways, has any of you started to put weight on your ankle before you got a green light?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, I definitely did not. I had the talonavicular joint fused in my ankle and bearing weight could have ruined the fusion. I used a knee scooter for 6 weeks and didn't really use crutches at all because of the arthritis in my hand. My doctor told me not to even "tap down" for 6 weeks.

• Posted

If you can possibly get a knee scooter, I'd really recommend it. If you're in a bigger city there may be a place you can rent one. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow one. Crutches are a royal pain!

• Posted

I have a knee scooter and a wheelchair but can't get them in or out of my car by myself so that's why I opted for the crutches.

• Posted

I had a very convoluted routine for getting in and out of the car. I kept crutches in the trunk since I didn't use them in the house. I would go to the car on my knee scooter. Open the trunk, get the crutches out and balance on one while I folded the scooter and lifted it into the trunk. Then, I'd use the crutches to get to the driver's side door and get in. When I got to where I was going I would reverse the process. It was tiring at first, but I got pretty good at it after a while.

• Posted

Hi Suzie,

Honestly?  No way.  I have been thru so much pain with my ORIF broken fibula, dislocated ankle and torn ligaments that I am afraid to do anything unless I'm told by the Dr. it's ok.

To me that would be foolish because you are jeopardizing the healing that has already taken place.  Personally, I wouldn't take any chances that it would add five minutes of recovery time onto what I've already suffered.

After nine weeks of casts and now an air boot, I have finally been given the go ahead to put up to 20 lbs. on my foot and I no longer have to sleep with that anchor of a boot at night.  Because my ankle is still very sore, I will keep the boot on just to protect it while I sleep.

I'm just grateful to be standing with a walker and on my way to getting my life back again.

Wishing you a speedy recovery ... don't cheat ... lol  !!

• Posted

Hi Suzie,

I am also about 5 weeks out and have been totally non weight bearing. I don't want to prolong this injury by even a day. Crutches are really difficult, but I have gotten so much better on them.

If your 5 weeks out hopefully no injury was done.

Take care.

• Posted

You are only cheating yourself and you could need anither operation if you screw something up! Just follow Dr orders or you will be the one suffering the consequences!!!  Your Dr will just make more money repairing the damage you do to yourself.
  • Posted

I'm six weeks in and the doc still says NWB. He told me twice this Monday because I ask each week. I had complications after surgery  with an infection etc.,  so I am terribly fearful of damaging the healing that has taken place even though it has been very slow.  I've used a wheelchair because I could not use crutches. A walker is helpful as is the scooter that Amazon sells.  I have several broken bones in my ankle  and torn tendons with lots of hardware holding them together.  I just wouldn't chance having to start over. 

• Posted

I was told to start partial weight bearing at 4 weeks, then full weight bearing at 8 weeks,  all while still in plaster.  Obviously you should follow the advice of your own surgeon, however mine told me that a little weight bearing from fairly early on helps with the fusion (but not for the first 4 weeks).  Just don't overdo it and stop if you have pain. 

• Posted

As I said in my post, I read that a little weight actually triggers the brain to accelerate repair of the bone.
  • Posted

Hi Suzie, I fullt understand your situation but, like the other replies say, I wouldn't risk it.  I'm 4 weeks post ankle fusion and the last thing I want to do is to have it done all over again.  I'm using an Iwalk (http://iwalk-free.com) that I bought ahead of time (it'll go on eBay when I'm done with it).  It is really useful as you have your hands free, a bit like a knee scooter.  I hope you haven't done any damage to yourself and hope you have a good recovery.

• Posted

Suzie,

You didn't state the nature or severity of your ankle fracture and injury, so frankly it would be futile to try to give you an opinion on whether your little weight-bearing adventure did any harm or not.

You also didn't mention if at the time you were on crutches but also were in a cast or properly worn moon boot-- that fact could make all the difference in outcomes.

5 weeks on into fracture recovery (on average, and none of us are 'average'wink would allow significant bone mending. But only x-ray images and your doctor's expert opinion could say with some certainty if there is still unstable, incompletely knitted bone displacement that could be jeopardized by weight and jostling.

Yes, putting weight on both healing and healthy bones is a good thing, but only if the bone breaks can absorb such weight and movement without undoing hard-won gains in bone mending.

Why take chances anyway? You will soon enough get to weight-bearing if you are willing to be patient.

• Posted

I did exactly as doctor ordered. I used a walker with seat and wheels because I was scared of falling with crutches. I am using crutches now that I am FWB but it is hard to try to carry things with them. Even just a purse!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.