Anyone cheat (be honest) with weight bearing?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I attempted to go to the store all by myself, just a convenience store. It was my first time trying to use crutches. I had issues, I couldn't carry any items to the counter. Luckily the clerk helped me. I was so off balance I ended up stepping on my foot quite a bit. I hope I didn't do major damage. I am 5 weeks out and almost out of instinct my foot seems to want to hit the floor more and more. I readcthe anatomy of bone healing and it said a little weight actually sends a message to the brain to repair the bone. Anyways, has any of you started to put weight on your ankle before you got a green light?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Susie you don't say if you had surgery or anything but if it was just a simple break set in a cast or boot you are unlikely to have caused damage after 5 weeks. I cheated with the odd step or two after 4 weeks in the cast and had several 'accidents'where I fell off my knee scooter going too fast on it! Once in the boot I also went swimming earlier than advised by the doctor,  tho my sports physio said it was fine. Of course I would never advise anyone to do what I did!!  but in my experience a few 'accidental'  steps here & there is probably ok. I was completely healed & walking without any ankle support after 10 weeks,  & running again after 16 weeks.( I had a posterior malleolus fracture of tibia.) Wishing you a speedy recovery!  :-) 

• Posted

Thanks for your information. I got an xray and Dr said everything looks good. He said start walking on it as tolerated. So I have been starting to walk. Everything feels good except swlking and lots of pain but only on the biggest incision site. I am hoping to return to work (on my feet, I work in a casion) by November 1st. Is that a reasonable goal?
    • Posted

Hi Suzie it is difficult to say as everyone heals at a different rate but in a month's time you will probably be fine,  as in my experience once you start walking,  you progress very quickly. If you are on your feet a lot you may find you get swelling - so ice and elevate when you can. I would also advise anyone to get as much physio as they can,  and then they can guide you to ensure you are doing the right exercises for your particular injury. Good luck with your recovery. 

• Posted

OMG! I just had surgery on my right foot, part was fused, one toe shortened, not sure what else...but 5 incisions.

I live on 3 floor. I have never used crutches before, and I really suck at it. I never mean to put weight on it, but it's happened so many times.

I bought a scooter, but like going to the bathroom, once I sit on the toilet, I can't not put my heal down , just so I can get off the toilet and get my knee on the scooter.

thank goodness my sister is stopping over throughout the day to let my dog out.

my doctor is going to probably be really p****d at me when I go see him on Monday for my 1st follow up.

I am positive that I have undone everything the surgeon did.

• Edited

If you don't have anything you can grab a hold of to help push/pull yourself up, such as a countertop, you can look at getting rails to go on either side of the toilet. They make ones that just sit on the floor or ones that actually attach to the toilet.

• Posted

Nope, never. Be patient and listen to dr or you will end up even worse. After having hardware removed from my ankle I was off my feet for three weeks using a knee scooter (I am so bad at crutches) and then a walking boot with crutches, now just a walking boot and I use the scooters at stores. You can also get food delivered in some places. Also after my first surgery to repair a torn ligament I was off my feet for about three months at least.

• Posted

No. My doctors said no weight at all for at least 6 weeks.

If you don't have someone who can go to the store for you I highly recommend getting a knee scooter with a basket on the front.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.