Anyone else had stomach pains while taking Topiramate / Topamax

Posted , 28 users are following.

I experienced stomach pains within weeks of taking Topiramax, which was to help my migraines. I was unaware this was the cause at first. However, after a colonoscopy, a colonography and an MRI scan showed to be normal, I had to diagnose the problem myself and by means of elimination and it proved to be Topiramate which was the cause.

A further colonoscopy proved again to be normal and it was subsequently confirmed that Topiramate had damaged the nerves in the lining of my bowel and left the nerve endings hypersensitive.

Please contact me if you have stomach pains and are taking Topiramate.

Ronnie

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had terrible stomach problems and underwent investigations for a few years. Lost 30lbs through not eating (not a bad thing!) but also nearly lost my mind. My speech was affected and I seemed to be suffering from depression - totally lethargic and unable to function normally. I worked out for myself that it must be side effects from the drug and agreed with my Dr. that I should stop taking it. That was a year ago and I'm like a different person now.
    • Posted

Hey there,

Topomax also is giving me stomach pains. Did your pain go away after u stopped it ?

Lisa1956

• Posted

Your story sounds so similar to mine, only it took me much longer to figure out it was the Topamax. I had stomach pains, loss of appetite, weight loss, diarrhea. Colonoscopy showed I had gastritis, upper GI was fine, I even went to the ER one night when the pain became unbearable. Eventually my vision became blurry and my hair has fallen out so much. The only good thing is I finally lost the weight I wanted to lose and that's not even why I was on it, now it sounds like as soon as you go off of it you gain it right back. I'm hoping with proper nutrition that won't happen! Tapering off and still having awful stomach pains! Ugh!
  • Posted

Yes I had been on a low dose but then I started getting extremly dizzy , so they upped 50 x 2 then 100 mg. x 2 a day, I have been in a panic . I am sick every day stomach pain and sometimes diarrhea. I am thinking the worst and ready to have them do tests , Im afraid to eat anything. There is alot of cancer in my family so of course that is the first place my mind is going. This stomach pain is constant and is effecting my GI tract as well.  
  • Posted

My daughter has been on it a year, complaining of stomach pain.   Stomach not really intestine.   It is not low, it is not esophagal based upon where she is pointing.   How did you get the nerve damage diagnosed?   And did it repair itself after discontinuation? 
  • Posted

I've been taking Topamax for a month now and it's making me have the worst stomach pains I've ever felt, it's also giving me runny/bloody stool. I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one that has had a problem with it!

• Posted

I started taking topomax 25 mg 2 weeks ago for migraines. I've noticed a pain sometimes on my lower left side of my abdomen. Today I started taking 50 mg for 2 woks then after that it will be increased to 75 mg. I was taking it may be due to the warning of kidney stones. I was advised by pharmacist to drink a lot of water when taking the mess. I don't usually like taking Ned's specially anti-depressants because normally the side effect are worst than my condition. But nothing has been able to help me with my migraines and this med has been working. But I'm being scared about the side effects.

• Posted

I've been on Topamax for 3 weeks now. 1st 25 mg once a day, then twice a day. Today I start 25 mg 3x's a day =75mg. I've had the weird tingling in my hands and feet and in my tongue. But for the past week I've had diarrhea on and off. Also this stomach cramping. Even after I eat I get cramping and pain like I did not eat, but at the same time I'm nauseous lol it's so weird. My stomach pains are getting worse and I'm so worried about this med increase. The brightside is my migraines and headaches are gone lol for now anyway. I have a follow up with Neuro in 3 weeks so I'll see how this increase goes. If I still have the same symptoms I'm going to discuss getting off of the meds and trying something else. Sorry you guys are going through tough times too. Stay strong!!! ??

• Posted

I also had been started on Topamax for migraines.  After slowly increasing the dose to 100mg/day I started to have a reflux feeling in my throat as well as nausea.  I have been  off of the medication for a couple of weeks and have seen a gastroenterologist. My upper GI was normal except for possible gastricparesis. This is where the food doesn’t empty fast enough into the small intestines.  I am currently waiting for the result of that test but wonder why this happened out of the blue? Could the medicine had some effect on the stomach nerves?  Anyone else have this as well? Very frustrating and upsetting. 
  • Posted

Ronnie, I started topamax and then topamax ER about 2 months ago and I too am now having terrible stomach pains even after I stopped topomax. Did u find any more information about this ? How did u confirm it caused nerve damage and did the pain go away for u ? Would love to chat. My neurologist seems clueless about this side effect.
  • Posted

I’ve been taking topamax for two months now up to 100 mg a day and have been experiencing terrible stomach pain also. My migraines are gone but I’m ready to stop this medication! I have an appointment with my doctor this Monday if I can wait this long.  I’m thinking I have all sorts of things such as ulcers, gastritis, etc...until I googled the possibility of stomach upsets associated with taking topamax and came across your website!

What an eye opener!!! 

• Posted

I had to stop Topamax after getting bad stomach pains which may be because i already have IBS and only after taking prescription probiotics for several weeks after i stopped did the pain decrease.  horrible drug although great for migraines. am working on getting the new migraine medication Amovig right now and hope that works as well cause is supposed to have almost no side effects except constipation which for me can be a deal breaker since i already have constipation. what is up with these medications and the relationship to our gut ??
    • Posted

I have been on this med for 2 months. My right side and lower back has caused me

a lot of pain. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I had been doing so good with

this med it was the only thing that was helping with my migraines. I called my doctors office and they did an X-Ray . X-Ray showed I was very constipated. So they ordered me

something to take for it. I did work but however it did not relieve my for long. I couldn't

walk right i was bent over in pain . Doctor lowered the dose from 100.mg to 50mg a

day for a week then after that I take nothing for 10 days until i see him. I have back pain already I don't need anything else contributing to it. I hope this can help someone

about Topamax.

• Posted

Hi, I took Topamax for 4 days, and had really bad stomach pains, as well as constipation. And even after taking, Ive been having cramping In my lower adbomden. 
    • Posted

Hi i just started it 2 days ago and i am going to stop because my stomach hurts

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.