Anyone else had stomach pains while taking Topiramate / Topamax

Posted , 28 users are following.

I experienced stomach pains within weeks of taking Topiramax, which was to help my migraines. I was unaware this was the cause at first. However, after a colonoscopy, a colonography and an MRI scan showed to be normal, I had to diagnose the problem myself and by means of elimination and it proved to be Topiramate which was the cause.

A further colonoscopy proved again to be normal and it was subsequently confirmed that Topiramate had damaged the nerves in the lining of my bowel and left the nerve endings hypersensitive.

Please contact me if you have stomach pains and are taking Topiramate.

Ronnie

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on tompiramite 25 mg for few months and having gastric problems, I didn't know until tonight then I started suspecting because it is the only medication I had added prior to the one that also causes gastric but that was quite a while back, it should have been OK already, so I started to Google and found your page... Think I have to stop it, great med, with metoclopramide can help stop migraine but my gastric die on me 😢

• Posted

I never had any pains from taking Topamax all these years! I have read though it can be auto immune and I have 5 other auto immune diseases. They just did a scope and found gastritis and they also took some biopsies to check everything out. Usually once you get one Auto Immune disease you get more. I started with one initially!! I guess I'm going to have to live with the outcome. The topamax is the only thing that has helped my Fibromyalgia all these years We will see what happens!!

• Edited

I started this medication 9 days ago for migraines, on day 4 I started having epigastric pain with nausea. At first I thought it was the occasional acid reflux, tried the antacids and bismuth with no relief. Day 5&6 comes and I've never had stomach pain so bad in my life than I did (definitely not acid reflux) - the worst gnawing pain - the kind of stomach pain that doesnt make you have a bowel movement is the worst in my opinion. I took the topiramate (50 mg) at night and the stomach pains were the worst at night. I could not sleep. Come day 10 (suffer for 5 days of stomach pain) I decided to discontinue the rx after passing black stool which if you dont know is an indication of upper GI bleed. Today is day 12 and my Dr has rx pantoprazole to tx the drug induced ulcer. This is horrible. The price I am having to pay for finding a cure to migraines. Good luck to you all and and I hope my experience has provided some clarity. Now I have a second issue to attend.

• Posted

I also developed severe stomach/abdominal pain after taking Topiramate. I have been off of it for 6 month and still have pain. How did you get diagnosed with nerve damage? What exam shows this? I have had a CT and an endoscopy, which were both normal.

• Posted

I I have been taking Topiramate 25mg for about 30 days now and I'm having some of tue worse stomach issues and dizzy spells. Have anyone elses felt dizzy while taking them

• Posted

ive been on topiramate for over a year and have had low/mid abdominal pain during that period not knowing or really caring what it was from but it recently got so bad I ended up in the ED a few times and a gi's office. my ultrasounds & xray came back normal but the CTs showed a distended gallbladder, slightly enlarged liver & spleen, and enteritis with ileus. i dont drink or smoke, i try to eat clean most of the time and theres no signs of stones at all. almost all of the blood work did show i had at least mild acidosis each time I had it done and me still being in pain & not getting answers I decided to stop the med since its the only one I take that can cause it to see if there were changes and my pain decreased over a few days. i started the topamax again just 2 days ago and im already feeling a weird sensation where my pain was before with small spasms which is weird to me. the GI said its likely i have ibs which I can agree with but from what ive tried it definitely seems onset by this too

• Posted

have you had repeat imagings? have symptoms got better??

• Posted

i have been taking topamax for two years because the nortriptilene i took for migranes was giving me GERD i starting suffering from stomach pain again recently i never dreamed it was the topamax

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,

I have been taking Topiramate for about 8 weeks and only 25mg per day. This is for migraines. It does work, however, after 8 weeks i noticed an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, like a stomach ache. Thought it might be too much rich food and travelling over the summer holidays, but it got more uncomfortable. it made me feel a bit bloated and lying down was the only way to make it feel a bit better. Anway, i stopped taking Topiramate for a week and it went away. (just to see if this was it). Then I started again - as I could feel my migraine's wanting to return. Took it for another week and I started to get that feeling again. i stopped it last night. I am a very active and super fit person who eats very healthily, so I try to stay off any types of meds if i can. The combo of Topiramate and Zomitriptan if a migraine does happen were doing a good job. i will probably have to come off properly now and will see if I can get that new drug Erunamb - the injectable. Do you know anything about this one? I am in the UK and this has only been approved this year (2021). What treatment do you take now? Regards Aimee

• Posted

I take Topamax for migraines.I suffer from bad stomach pains after taking this medication

• Posted

have you stopped the med? noticed any symptoms got better? i am having same symptoms with topamax

• Posted

I am really hoping you will see this and respond. My husband is going through the same thing right now except it seems worse. The pain becomes debilitating especially the more physical things he does. He has had blood work, 2 CT scans, blood work, ultrasound, MRI and nothing can be found. I see other people have asked but I don't see responses. How was the nerve damage diagnosed and how long after stopping topiramate did you start to feel better? He is weaning down off it now but is weak from the severe pain and weight loss and really needs some information to give him hope. thank you

• Posted

hii all

ok guys, so i was started on topamax 25 mg bedtime for my migraine she started me on lower dose for a week so i wont have go crazy with side effects. after 2 days i started severe cramps and indigestion symptoms to upper abdomen. when you guys stop do these symptoms go aways?

• Edited

I recently started taking this for migraines from an auto accident/neck injury I had last year. I took it 2 days in total (one pill each evening to start). Within 24 hours, I started feeling cramps on my left side. I also had insomnia. By the second day and the second pill, I was doubled over in pain (like labor pains!). I knew it had to be this pill as I had changed nothing else. I stopped taking them several days ago and I am still getting pains but not quite as bad, still severely constipated going on a week and bloating. While I typically don't do well on prescription medications, I knew better than to try to give it time. It was like poison to my system. I am taking Activia yogurt 2x per day to try to get my gut regulated again. And, while it was already set up, I had Botox migraine 2 days ago. Fingers crossed that works!

• Posted

I have been on Topamax 50 MG for migraines for the last 7 months. Over the last week, I have started experiencing severe abdominal pain. It is hard to explain and the pain travels throughout my abdominal region. I can't pinpoint one spot. It just feels like a vice is crushing my insides. 2 ER visits due to severe pain, I've had 2 cat scans with contrast and both were normal, blood work was also normal. Diagnosis was viral. After reading these comments, I do believe it could be the Topamax. Making an appointment with my Dr. and GI tomorrow. Any advice is welcome!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.