Anyone ever think about smoking?

Posted , 13 users are following.

i have had a crappy week, husband, health problems, nothing seems to be getting better even though I quit smoking 10 months ago. I don't drink, or take medication,  I even quit coffee for a month,  because my urolagyst said it was harmful.   I now have one coffee. I gotta have sipomething.  

Anyways all all I can think about sometimes is having a smoke,  anyone else get like that?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm right there with you. It's been 14 months and still think about smoking everyday. People constantly just say "you should be over that by now"

Guess what I'm not, I haven't found anything to fill that void. I was in good health before, quit smoking on April 1st as a April Fools joke and just

stuck with it. I honestly feel worse now. Like you I need something. There has to be more people on here than us that feel like this. Also my

husband quit the same day I did and seems to do better in not thinking

about it so that makes me feel even more frustrated.

Thanks for posting this.

• Posted

I think it's great your husband quit too, he sounds very supportive.  I quit before for almost 3 years, but stress got the best of me and before you know it I was smoking a pack a day.  I quit again and would have a tall boy  beer a day instead.  I quit drinking five years ago, I don't want to drink In case of liver damage, I hate drugs, addictive and also damaging, but when I see my husband go fo a cig I sure miss it.

• Posted

You say:  " I don't want to drink In case of liver damage, I hate drugs, addictive and also damaging, but when I see my husband go fo a cig I sure miss it. "

And cigs lung damage.

Just a question of valuing your lungs more than your habit craving.  Pity your husband still smokes, passive smoking is not much help either. Check the BLf website for more information on smoking and passive smoking.

Basically I just ignore the thought whenever it occurs.

• Posted

Yep I did it all at one time smoked for 27 years, drank a lot mostly social drinking but I was a binge drinker.  Took too many drugs given to me by my shrink caused a multitude of problems.  I quit it all, strange the only thing I miss was smoking.  I will get over it again this time it will be forever.  I do wish my husband would quit but,  that's his problem.  I have to learn better ways to cope with stress.

• Posted

I still think about it sometimes and I gave up 25 years ago!

My chest is much worse now than when I used to smoke, by far!

• Posted

See doctors are liers or don't know what the heck they are talking about, my gp said since I quit smoking my copd will no longer progress.  Even with the medication, arobic exercise, eating right, ect.. I feel no better.

on my death bed whenever that is hopefully in my nineties I am going to smoke a whole pack of ciggeretts.

• Posted

Did you mean to say better? Thats not

encouraging if its worse!!

• Posted

Question to all:  if you quit smoking, does the COPD still progress?  According to pam34048 doctor, it stops.
    • Posted

The dr dr drew me a chart,  with two curves me having the damaged lung for a person my age and another curve for normal lungs same age.  Then he said if I kept smoking my curve would continue to fall.  But if I quit smoking which I had the curve would stay the same and eventually even out with the line or (curve) of the non smoker.  I am hopping that's the case but from all the material I have read it is progressive.

• Posted

Ooh, oh gave me a chuckle.  I quit 10 years ago and if I knew I was close to death, I'd sure try to smoke.  S#<w the COPD and the bronchiectasis, bring 'em on!

I have no helpful suggestions because no one else around here still smoked by the time I quit.   You are stronger than I am, by far, to quit while hubby still smokes.  You can do this.

After 10 years I don't have too many problems unless I watch a show with people smoking in it -- have to look away.  But it is very easy to avoid all smokers where I live.

• Posted

It's the hardest addiction to fight! I often think of going outside and having a smoke. Especially on a very stressful day. Since I have quit my breathing has improved. Having just being diagnosed a year ago with COPD  it was my wake up call. I have noticed such an improvement in my breathing. There are sometimes I could scream to go outside and have a smoke but then I take one big deep breath and say "I have come this far with my oxygen stats and knowing COPD is progressive, I then take another very deep breath and think I want to live and its up to me to fight hard and furious. I am excersizing, and doing the best I can do. Even just the stress of knowing I have COPD makes me a bit weak at times BUT still dealing with it. Please don't cave in. My stats have come up considerably since I quit and the pulmonary rehab excersize program. Sooooo hard at times

Ellen🇨🇦

• Posted

Thanks Ellen I just was hopping I would at least be feeling better after I quit smoking,  maybe I just need to give it more time.
  • Posted

Of course -- is there honestly anyone who doesn't?  The sad part is when I have given in, the smoke won't even go down!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.