Anyone experienced severe anxiety/depression taking Clarithromycin?

Posted , 51 users are following.

I take Citalopram for anxiety/depression. This year I have had 2 chest infections that needed treating and was given Clarithromycin, 500mg twice a day. The latest chest infection was recently and I stopped taking the antibiotics 5 days ago. I have had some awful symptoms that I don't know what has caused. Shaking, increased anxiety and depression, loss of appetite, twitching muscles and weakness in legs. Balance problems. Heart Palpitations. Now I am having difficulty walking and it is really scaring me. I seem to remember having these side effects when I took these before but not so severe.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had a reaction like this and how long was it before you felt better.

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I am so glad that I found this post. I'm on day 12 of 14 of Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day for a sinus infection that seemed to be causing recurring tonsillitis. I have never felt so anxious and depressed in my life. It's so scary. I have had the other side effects too, the awful taste, lack of appetite, poor bowels, belching, acidic feeling in stomach and so on. But it's the anxiety and terrible shakes and negative thoughts that are so worrying. I called the doctor today and she told me to stop taking them. I figure that they have fixed up my physical sickness so feel.OK about not finishing the whole course. I've taken a really long course and I'm very small. I am so heartened to read the posts where people have said that the anxiety has passed in a couple of days after finishing the tablets. I've taken my last pill now and fingers crossed these terrible symptoms pass. I hope everyone on this thread is feeling better now!
    • Edited

Hello Melissa!

I am praying for you Melissa, that everything will return to normal quickly for you.  I'm feeling a lot better now, and hope that the issues that remain will eventually clear up.  If the anxiety continues once you're off the clarithromycin for a while, you might try a probiotic that contains the helveticus and longum strains of bacteria.  I used the Jarrow 35/15 formula that included these two strains for about a week.  Within the first 24 hours, the anxiety symptoms disappeared.  Over the past few months, my digestive system has recovered and I continue to use greek yogurt.

Wishing you the best,

Caryn36853 

• Posted

Thanks Caryn for your thoughts. I am starting to feel a little better now and have got some probiotics to help along the process. Just such a shock to the system! Am hoping that the anxiety and depression will start to either away with time.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Glad to help. Keep us in the loop as you get better, especially if you stumble onto something that you find especially helpful.

Blessings,

Caryn

• Posted

Hi all very important information about clarithromycin is that it depletes your potassium stores massively. Look up symptoms of low potassium weakness leg cramps twitches heart palps are all symptoms. I took this a few times within one year n nearly died of a heart attack from such low potassium. It caused me so many problems n much suffering.

My bloods were all coming out wrong so it took ages to figure out what was happening to me but I was as close to being dead as a person can be. I don't understand how docs are not aware of this. Every time your on a course of this a course of potassium supplements should be prescribed alongside. And I see some posts of people taking long 14 day courses.

Basically you've only so much potassium in your body n a 7 day course of this depletes 90,000 mgs of potassium from your body which is massive. The upper limit for potassium per day is 7000mgs but this is near impossible to get in but should get at least 3000mgs per day to replenish. This will take around 2months. Every point you go down in potassium means you've lost 30k from your stores.

The reference range is 3.5 - 5.3 but you wanna be at least 4 or higher. I was almost empty at 3.4 n many people have serious symptoms at the low 3s but a lot of docs think this is not that serious n mildly low levels can't cause this but the fact is half people are empty at low 3s some can go down to 2s its just a discrepancy on how it measures different in different people probably depending on body weight or bloods it's very sensitive blood test anyway.

• Posted

Hi Beverley and co,

Can you give me an update?

Did your symptoms ease? I feel like I'm going through the same thing. One week after finishing a double course of antibiotics and feeling ultra anxious still.

It stopped for a day or two after stopping the meds the. Started two days ago again.

No anxiety or anything prior to this.

When will it stopppp?

Help smile

• Posted

I have also has some.of these symptoms have had palpitations for two days non stop heart rate went up to 118 and ive not eaten for 6 days. Feel dizzy and light headed but I think that is now caused by anxiety because of the side effects its given me

Mel

• Posted

I started taking Clarithromycin twice a day for bronquitis 6 days ago. Side effects are rare heart palpitations, insomnia, uneasiness, and anxiety. I will consult with my Doctor if I can finish it before the 10 days. It is working on my bronquitis and sinus infection but definetely a horrible experience...........
  • Posted

Hi all, 

I appreciate this is an old post now but I always think it comforting to those suffering to hear recent stories. I have an ear infection. I have been taking Clarithromycin for 5 days after already completing a course of Flucloxacillin that didnt work. Now I must state that I am an anxiety sufferer however I function well on a day to day basis and manage to control the anxiety without medication. 

Since starting a course of Clarithromycin I have been going through hell! It started with my head feeling full yet lightheaded and unsteady. This feeling alone set of a terrible bout of anxiety. It got so bad that yesterday I had a complete break down in front of my wife and cried my eyes out. She took me to a doctor who checked the ear and gave me the all clear. She has given me 2mg diazepam to try and break the anxiety cycle and I stopped taking the Clarithromycin last night. I am praying to God that I will feel normal again in the next few days while the drug leaves my system. Other than the doctors appointment I haven't left the house. I have spent most the time locked away in my bedroom. I haven't even been able to play with my two young sons. 

The one thing I want to share is this, having been here before with bad reactions to other antibiotics, when its happening to you, you feel like you are in a hole and that you cant climb out. Your brain prevents you from thinking rationally and you feel like the anxiety never ends. 

Trust me it does end. The drugs will leave your system and you will begin to feel better. Do not expect it to be instant. You may have a few wobbles in the first few days but it will pass. 

I wish you all the very best of health and hope that my own health improves too!

• Posted

Hi Richard

I feel i'm going mad just now. I wouldn't say i'm a sufferer from anxiety. I do worry about things, but everything seems amplified now since I was on Clarithromycin. When I started taking the course i had the nauseas feeling and horrible taste in my mouth which I could cope with. On the night of day 5 of the course I went to bed and suddenly this awful feeling came over me, it's hard to explain. I felt I didn't know what was happening to me. A kind of feeling of losing sense of reality and confusion. A really scary experience. I was panicking and ended up in A&E that night. I was checked over and sent home to rest. I didn't feel too bad the next couple of days following this, and even went back to work, but then on that night the same thing happened again. When it happened i'm unable to sleep, so went back to the doctor who gave me sleeping tablets, but now all I feel is very anxious, all my feelings are overwhelming and i'm not sure how to deal with it. Does it go away? As I feel now i'm finding it difficult to function properly

• Posted

Yes. It goes away when the drug is mostly out of your system. I took zpack on Dec. 5th to 9th. I have never had anxiety in my life. On day 2, my heart startes pounding and palpitating and my whole body felt like it was crawling. My mind was racing with terrible thoughts and I thought I was going crazy. It was the most awful, terrifying and lonely experience. I couldnt explain to anyone how I was freaking out so bad inside. This continued off and on for the days I was on zpack and then again on the 2nd, 4th and 8th day after I finished. One time it lasted feom 3am until 3pm. I had to call in sick for work. Thank god I looked it up online and found that I wasnt the only one. It helped keep me from feeling totally helpless and hopeless by telling myself it would pass with time. And calming my breathing. And calling people to talk me through it. And you know what? It did pass. I am fine now. Back to normal. You will be okay. It's hard, but it will ease as the drug leaves your system. Take care of yourself. You are okay.

• Posted

Oh my god i am so sorry for everyone on this page but glad to see that i am not imagining these things , i am on day 3 of these Clarithromycin tablets 500mg its a living hell is all i can say , i found a lump in my neck doc said it was a swollen gland but have no other symptoms was given amoxicillin but the lump remained so i went back to my doc who gave me these tablets i didn't realize they were so strong but the side effects  are just horrendous , bad taste in my mouth really strong taste , so anxious , i have had a bout of anxiety in the past but that was a long time ago cant stop crying , snapping at everyone , some quite irrational thoughts , feel really scared but of what i dont know the lump well that is very slightly smaller so all this combined with the worry of not knowing why the gland was swollen in the first place has been the worst experience of my life finish the tablets on Wednesday , will try to stick it out fingers crossed , wish everyone on here better , How to tablets with such bad side effects get approved by NICE  i do not know  .

• Posted

I am so glad I found this descussion ! I was put on antidepressants fluoxetine 20mg  5 weeks ago and after a rocky start week 4 I started to feel much better! Then I got a ear infection and was given amoxicillin 500mg but after 5 days they wasn’t working so I was given these clarithromycin 500mg after 4 days I was having a break down !! Crying all day wanting to end my life !! Not able to leave bedroom bad  anxiety really bad depression !! I am so sad that the doctor asked me if I had any allergies or on any other medication and I told him I suffered depression and on antidepressants !!! 
  • Posted

I am so glad I found this descussion ! I was put on antidepressants fluoxetine 20mg  5 weeks ago and after a rocky start week 4 I started to feel much better! Then I got a ear infection and was given amoxicillin 500mg but after 5 days they wasn’t working so I was given these clarithromycin 500mg after 4 days I was having a break down !! Crying all day wanting to end my life !! Not able to leave bedroom bad  anxiety really bad depression !! I am so sad that the doctor asked me if I had any allergies or on any other medication and I told him I suffered depression and on antidepressants !!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.