Anyone found any natural or herbal things for rhinitis?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Just as the title says, anyone found anything which helps or cures rhinitus that is natural or herbal? Hoping someone can suggest something? thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ann, I googled LACTOBACILLUS gosseri KSB  and  BIFODBACTERIUM bifiden G91 longum but didnt fine much. DO you have any links to those two products you mentioned? do you know of any products that contain those strains? or one of those strains? I have talked with a few companies who sell those products but they dont know if they contain KSB strain or the other one the G91 strain.

​Hope you can help?

• Posted

Hello again Mike.

That website is Do Probiotics Improve

Evidently, no any old probiotics will do, they have to be

a specific organisms to be beneficial.

Let me know if you received this.

Anne

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi,

This was my contribution to the thread begun by Garnet888 - it may be relevant to your problem:

I am now a crinkly who has had similar allergy/intolerance issues for more than 50 years. My allergy history may be of interest ...

Around pubity I started to suffer with 'hayfever' - that is unpleasant reactions to pollen, especially from grasses - which made me repeatedly sneeeze hard (until my nose would bleed), made me wheezy and caused me sweat (fever). Year on year this became worse and extended beyond the main pollen season. By mid teens I stayed indoors for much of the summers - sometimes staying in bed beacuse the symptoms were so debilitating. Being somewhat distracted I messed up academic exams.

Before 'A' levels I sought help from the NHS who tried somewhat crudely to test me for allegens. Mostly the test allergen spots put onto my skin caused large wheals that all blended together. No progress was made. Life continued its downward slide!

Getting to and through College was a trauma. By this time I learnt to love alcohol and the deterioration spiralled. Allergic rhinitis/sinusitis became common place .... you'll be getting the picture?

In work I had a colleague with similar problems and no positive outcome from NHS treatments who pestered me for possibly two years to visit a particular homeopath ( not a quack but a 'proper' doctor doing medical research) based in Southampton but also who practiced at Harley Street - which, at the time, was easily accessible to me. Eventually, very sceptical, I attended the London clinic. It was the best thing I ever did for my general well being!! 

Afer a lot of discussion, a strange and slightly primitive looking electrical aparatus was physically connected to me and comparison made with dozens of material sample slides that were slotted into the machine. Within half an hour the doctor had identified a number of common foodstuffs to which I AM intolerant or allergic. I left with strict diatary exclusion orders that I stuck with for about two months before returning for another consultation. By this time life had taken a very different turn - no headaches, the sinuses were clear, my breathing was so good I could run again, my skin was clear; my mood was very much more bouyant. I was almost a new person!

FOR ME the primary exclusions were processed sugars and related dairy produce (lactose has similar effects and is a very common allergen) plus to a lesser effect coffee, chicken, corn ... and the list goes on.

I lived with my total exclusions for 35 years and enjoyed a very healthy life.

Following early retirement from a successful career I decided that I should be able to re-introduce and control alcohol and sweet puddings. To begin I allowed ten pints of beer in the first year. This gradualy slid to the point that I have been drinking two pints a week and regular puddings, still a relatively small amount, that has made some of the allergy symptoms return with a vengeance. I have sneezing fits, almost continual headaches, problems with my eyes. I recently frightened myself when, with pint in hand, I went into an almost hypnotic state and started insulting a good friend - totally lost it!

I am now back on my exclusions diet going through detoxification.

THE DOCTOR WHO SO IMPROVED MY LIFE ARGUED THAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE ALLERGIES OR INTOLERANCES. SOME PEOPLE ARE LESS TOLERANT OF ALLERGENS AND PEOPLE REACT DIFFERENTLY TO THE VARIOUS POSSIBLE ALLERGENS.

THE MAJORITY OF ALLERGENS TAKEN INTO THE BODY ARE PART OF FOOSTUFFS. iF THE FOODSTUFF ALLEGENS ARE ELIMINATED IT REDUCES THE LIKELYHOOD OF UNCONTROLLABLE ALLERGENS, SUCH AS THOSE IN THE AIR, CAUSING A SENSITIVE PERSON TO HAVE AN ADVERSE REACTION AND CONSEQUENT DETERIORATED HEALTH.

!!GET TESTED FOR FOOD ALLERGIES AND INTOLERANCES!!

Best wishes from an old but experienced fart.

• Posted

Hi you ol' fart, what a brilliant and informative post.  I too am getting on in years, seventy to be precise.  I too have suffered more years than I can remember suffering Rhinitis and sinus issues.  But my worse and extremely debilitating problem of all is suffering Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, like many more on this Forum.  Mine started in the early 1980's when my family and I took are touring caravan away.  It was parked near a lot of trees.  I awoke in the morning with completely blocked ears, so bad we had to hitch up and come home.  I was then taken to our local ENT hospital.  I couldn't even hear what the doctor was saying to be with the tubes being so badly clogged.  I was prescribed antibiotics and from what I remember they worked, until the next time it happened....which I now realise, was obviously the pollen that caused the problem.  Forward to 1994 at the age of forty seven and continually suffering ETD, it finally took hold of me.  Mucus that had sat in the eustachian tubes for so long, it turned bacterial and crossed the blood/brain barrier and bingo turned to Bacterial Meningitis.  Leaving me with disabilities.  At the time of the illness, I suffered a severe earache, something that had never happened in all the years I had ETD.  I can't stress enough to people on this forum who suffer ETD, if earache appears, to get immediate help and get yourself on antibiotics......sadly, my illness was missed !!  So we are now almost in 2018 and I am still suffering the same problem.  I know allergies and sinusitis play a huge part in causing my ears to block.  I take a daily antihistamine, which works for me.  Also steroid nasal spray.  I've been through allergy testing, which only required the scratch test and dropping different allergens on the scratch.  A part from cats and dogs, nothing showed up.  However, I know for sure that something on some trees affect me.  Food allergy testing would be extremely expensive and hard to find the correct one that could potentially be causing my problems.  It seems that everyone with allergies are told they are lactose, wheat and gluten sensitive, or intolerant....wondering if that is actually correct.  I've never drunk alcohol, or smoked.  However, I do like chocolate, but in moderation.  I eat healthily too.  If I could find a cure for ETD I'd be o happy.  In April I took a course of Prednisolone steroid tablets (20 day reducing course) which worked brilliantly, even getting my smell and taste back after so many years, inflammation was so bad. At present I'm using a strong steroid spray,  When I finish that in a weeks time and revert back on the one I've been using for years, the cycle will start all over again.  I've had 4 eardrum perforations this year.  I then see my ENT consultant who uses microsuction to remove all the nasty mucus.  Again, everything fine for a while before it all starts up again.  As you may have read on this Forum so many people suffer the same and are so miserable.  I message them with support and tell them what will give them some relief, for approximately three to four months.....sadly, steroids !!  They are good for one thing, but if taken for too long and too often can cause other problems.  However, because ETD drags us all down so much we do need relief for a while.  Personally, I can cope with with the Rhinitis, Sinus and allergies, but not Eustachian Tube. Dysfunction.....which can also cause tinnitus, which I have too.

I am so pleased to read you managed to get to the root of your problem, just wish I could too.

Regards 

Anne from an equally experienced, old 'ish woman.  70 is supposed to be the new 50.  That's what I tell myself.

• Posted

I have been reading about quercetin with bromelain and it has good reviews.  I bought some but unfortunately I read that an allergic reaction could occur while taking bromelain if you have a wheat and/or ragweed allergy which I do.  I am going to see a naturopathic doctor on Wednesday and I am going to discuss this with her.  

I also use Young Living essential oils.  I don't have any experience with other brands.  I mix lavender, peppermint and lemon and apply to my temples, along my nose, under my nose, behind my ears, bottoms of my feet and on my wrists.  I also inhalf deeply and I diffuse the same mixture.  

I also use azelastine, flonase and zyrtec.  Singulair was awesome but I had a bad reaction after 10 days and had to stop taking it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.