Anyone had a reaction to Coconut Oil?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im not sure if it's a coincidence but I started using coconut oil a few months ago, I found it to be very soothing when I'm having an LS flare up. However I have found since using it that I have developed a sore bottom. The skin between my cheeks has become inflamed and it's uncomfortable when sitting. I have researched allergies to coconut oil and it would appear not all people are suited to it whether using it internally or externally. I intend going back to using Emu oil instead to see if it clears up or if it is coincidental but just wondered if anyone else has had any problems.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with coconut oil, however anything is

possible.

• Posted

Hi Hazel, 

I have just received a tub of Coconut oil and used it for the first time on Saturday night, I woke up the next morning and I was extremely red and sore, I had also used the baking soda rinse for the first time, so not exactly sure which one caused the eruption, but have gone back to my Epaderm and tonight it is slightly calmer. I am just trying to get something that helps other than the Dermovate.

Trial and Error ........

• Posted

Tell me about it Lorna, just when I think it's under control another flare up occurs! So, it's back to the Dermovate daily until this settles, I've used Emu oil for a long time and never had any trouble so will go back to that to moisturise. Am also having a lot of stress at the minute which doesn't help! 
  • Posted

Coconut oil can encourage thrush, but I don't think it could happen overnight......I  don't tolerate many oily things well, but  I do find plain unperfumed zinc and castor oil cream soothing
  • Posted

I dont use it every day, I sometimes just use Lube.   I think using a mix of products cant hurt..
  • Posted

I have not had a reaction, but perhaps long term use is not working.  So now and then I use Calendula cream, for a change.  Early on I noticed that LS likes variety.  Have also used Emu oil for a while.  Then I go back to the coconut oil again.  
  • Posted

Yea initially i found it soothing but them i got really sore back there.... So I went back to Corebetasol... Ill try it again in a few months and see if that was really what it was. I am using vaseline too and seems to be working ok.
  • Posted

Thats really strange because i too got sore and red but i assumed it was dry skin from the LS,, thinking that because coconut was natural it couldnt possibly be that now i am not so sure.
    • Posted

Google - When Coconut Oil May Not Be Right for You

It would appear it's not good for everyone!

ive stopped using it to see if the redness and soreness clears up, it may be coincidence but may not.

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the link with a Google search term rather than linking to the specific website.

• Posted

In spite of good care with coconut oil or emu oil, I've had the experience that all was inflamed. Nothing worked anymore, but Globetasol.  It happened to be an oridinary flare-up and only Globetasol could turn things around.  
  • Posted

I have just read all these posts.  I have noted that it becomes obvious that treatments for Ls differ for us all.  It is trial and error.  To help isolate treatments that help and treatments that do not I think it is important that we change or use just one treatment at a time and use them for a while if able to before trying another so that we can eliminate those which we cannot tollerate.  I hesitate to use allergic reaction to as I believe that is an over the top description.  Some products throughout my life have caused bad reactions when I first used them but later on retrying them I have been able to tolerate them and vice versa products I have used for a long time can suddenly start causing me problems.  I think we are doing the right thing on here letting each other know our experiences with different things so that we can try things for ourselves if we feel so inclined. 

Our bodies are constantly changing as we get older.  Hormone fluctuations, food intake and emotional states all make a difference to how we tolerate things.  I am sure there are many other things that alter our tolerances.  I hope you find something that helps you soon.  My successes in calming down redness has been clobetasol ointment as soon as I have problems with Epaderm to wash and moisturise with letting the ointment work for at least one hour before using the Epaderm.  I also use a Bicarbonate of Soda solution to soak in twice a week which has really helped.  I have also used Manuka Honey on a bad tear with good results too after an operation catheter caused me real problems.

• Posted

I concur with everything you say Chrissy. For me it was a bit of a light bulb moment with the Coconut oil, I have used it for a while now and really thought it was very soothing, however I suddenly realised that the soreness I have been experiencing started not long after I began to use it.

I am going to see if things calm down after cutting it out and then try the Bicorbonate washes. I have gone back to using Clob every day which always helps. Trouble is I am just going through the menopause and not sure if that is also causing problems with all the hormone changes. It's a tough life! 

• Posted

Hi Hazel,  The menopause is a terrible time for us women.  Good idea to use the clob daily for a while.  Good luck with calming things down.
    • Posted

Ok so i wonder after reading these posts, if environment plays a part ie: weather? I live in a cold , snowy dry temperature. It is dry all the time.... Summer is worse, kind of deserty. Anyone else live in that type of weather zone? If you do - how is your LS? What do you use?
    • Posted

I live in a very similar environment Wendy - snowy winter, dry hot summer.  

Winter is fine, summer is trying.  I love to cross country ski and do well with the cold.  My LS loves cold.  But when it gets too hot in summer, I too often stay inside with the airconditioner.  And since it is advised not to swim in the lake or public swimming pool I feel very limited during summer temperatures. 

• Posted

Ok Mine does not seem to discriminate with seasons... Its just sore almost always and especially after sex for a few days. And have heard LS is thrush related - so this is new info... I will do some research on what to do for thrush.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.