Anyone had dry mouth problems?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi ladies! I was told today by the dental hygienist that I probably have dry mouth, which would explain why my mouth has been so sore for the past 4 months. Anyone else had this? If so what helped? All the advice I was given was to chew chewing gum or sip water throughout the day. Just wondering if there's anything else I can be doing as it's blooming painful. Weird thing is it only affects one side of my mouth. Weirdness! 

Thanks ladies! Xx

Ps 29 day cycle with one day of heavy bleeding and 2 days spotting... Think I'm approaching the time when I start to skip periods. Can't wait as it means I'll be getting near the end! Xx

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Will check with my sister when gets home as is a dental nurse training as a hygenist
  • Posted

Hi Stella

yes i get dry mouth, dry throat and uncomfortable swallowing ..

also pain in teeth and dentist said all okay via xray..

only one side of teeth ... drives me mad ..

it is a peri and meno symptom and due to lack of oestrogen for me 😏

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay, did they say it will get better? I'm in agony and the dry throat is driving me mad! It just feels like I've been scalded on the roof of my mouth. Awful. 
    • Posted

Hi Stella

mine hasnt .. its on left side.. teeth always aching, even the root canals ones that have no nerves  😳 weird ,, 

my mouth doesnt feel like it been scalded like you say.. 

just teeth on edge .. all the time on the left, and sometimes in the ear it feels like it need to pop..

dry throat always ... i was eating other day and my partner said .. whats up..

i said throat dry when i swallow.. toast is a nightmare .. 

😞

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Stella

i forgot to say they call it xerostomia

and menopause can cause it amongst other things 😢

jay xx

• Posted

Dry mouth

When we don't produce enough saliva, the mouth gets dry and uncomfortable.

Dry mouth or xerostomia is common in older people affecting around one in five elderly people.

Saliva moistens and cleanses the mouth, helps to process food and prevents infection by controlling bacteria and fungi in the mouth.

Some people mistake thirst for dry mouth, but the causes are different.

Dry mouth can cause discomfort, affect speech and swallowing, affect dentures, cause bad breath, increase bacteria in the mouth and cause tooth decay in the long term.

What causes dry mouth?

There are several causes of dry mouth:

Side effects of certain medications. Dry mouth is a common side effect of some prescription and non-prescription drugs.

Side effects of certain medical conditions, for example Sjögren's syndrome, and infections.

Side effect of certain medical treatments. Damage to the salivary glands, the glands that produce saliva, for example, from radiation to the head and neck and chemotherapy treatments for cancer, can reduce the amount of saliva produced.

Nerve damage. Dry mouth can be a result of nerve damage to the head and neck area from an injury or surgery.

Dehydration. Conditions that lead to dehydration, such as fever, excessive sweating, vomiting, diarrhoea, blood loss and burns can cause dry mouth.

Surgical removal of the salivary glands.

Lifestyle.  Smoking or chewing tobacco can affect saliva production and aggravate dry mouth. Continuously breathing with your mouth open can also contribute to the problem.

What are the symptoms of dry mouth?

Common symptoms of dry mouth include:

A sticky, dry feeling in the mouth

Frequent thirst

Sores in the mouth; sores or split skin at the corners of the mouth; cracked lips

A dry feeling in the throat

A burning or tingling sensation in the mouth and especially on the tongue

A dry, red, raw tongue

Problems speaking or difficulty tasting, chewing, and swallowing

Hoarseness, dry nasal passages, sore throat

Bad breath

Why is dry mouth a problem?

Besides causing the aggravating symptoms mentioned above, dry mouth also increases a person's risk of  gingivitis (gum disease), tooth decay and mouth infections, such as thrush.

Dry mouth can also make it difficult to wear dentures.

How is dry mouth treated?

If you think your dry mouth is caused by certain  medication you are taking, talk to your doctor.

He or she may adjust the dose you are taking or change you to a different drug that doesn't cause dry mouth.

In addition, an oral rinse to restore mouth moisture may be prescribed. If that doesn't help a medicine that stimulates saliva production, called pilocarpine hydrochloride may be prescribed.

Other steps you can take that may help improve saliva flow include:

Sucking on sugar-free sweets or chewing sugar-free gum

Drinking plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist

Protecting your teeth by brushing with a fluoride toothpaste, using a fluoride rinse, and visiting your  dentist regularly

Breathing through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible

Using a room vapouriser to add moisture to the bedroom air

Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute

• Posted

Mine is on the left too. Toast is awful! It feels like my tongue is constantly irritating the roof of my mouth. Horrible. I have a gp appointment on Friday and going to ask for some advice. It's been going on since May and all been put down to reflux. Hopefully the doc will listen. My ear feels the same too x
    • Posted

Hi Stella

i wouldnt use salt as salt is drying ..

think astrid meant if gums are bleeding ... 

jay xx

• Posted

Hope all is well.  biggrin  it will be better once you see the doctor.  Even the drops mothers use on their teething babies.  It numbs the area for pain. biggrin
    • Posted

Hi Stella

also .. from time to time i get a metallic taste in the mouth too 

i eat loads of grapes and melon as they are juicy and not acidic ..

Menopause - Changing hormone levels affect the salivary glands, often leaving menopausal and post-menopausal women with a persistent feeling of dry mouth.

A sticky, dry feeling in your mouth

Trouble swallowing

A burning sensation on your tongue

A dry feeling in your throat

Cracked lips

Reduced ability to taste things or a metallic taste in your mouth

Mouth sores

Frequent bad breath

Difficulty chewing/speaking

jay xx 

• Posted

Hi Stella

when i got past the constant bleeding in peri ..

my periods went to three days.. first day normal second flood, third gone..

but my peri was subtle ... lasted 9-10 years.. only skipping a couple of periods a year in the start until I got down to just two periods in 2013 ..( March & Sept) 

then none.. i am menopause reached now .. confirmed  via scan ..

jay jay x

• Posted

Stella what ever you do not use biotene it is supposed to stop dry mouth but actually it has nasty chemicals in it, also do not use hydrogen peroxide it blocks the membranes.

Buy Ionized salt put some in a glass of water each day 3 times if possible and swill your mouth out.....give it a week and you should see a change in the bleeding gums 😄

• Posted

Thanks Astrid, I'll avoid those things and give salt a try smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.