Anyone Had Surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

If anyone has had surgery in the UK could you let me know

your experience please. ?

I've been offered surgery as I have multiple diverticular.

I am having flare ups too frequently but at nearly 70 surgery is daunting .

Hoping for positive posts but would love to hear any experiences.

Thanks.

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 70 and have multiple DD I am going to see consultant on Friday it frightens the life out of me the thought he might suggest surgery. Hope someone on her can give you some positive feedback x
    • Posted

Let us know what the surgeon says on Friday.

They only offer surgery when the flare ups are frequent and

nothing helps the pain.

• Posted

I was offered surgery too. Opted out for now. Taking fiber supplement every single day and drinking lots of water. I'm 70 too. Many flare ups but trying this until I have no other choice. I'm from America. Have had it for over ten years. Surgery isn't guaranteed.

• Posted

Hello Linda, this is my experience and I hope it helps somewhat.

I had no option and had to have surgery in Feb 2015 at the age of 66 due to repeated bouts of diverticulitis which had left narrowing of the colon and clusters of abscesses which had caused a lot of damage. I didn't consider myself too old for the operations  and obviously my surgeon didn't, as he wouldn't have carried the procedure out. When I was operated on, the surgeon found the damage inside much worse than he expected and had to do his best with the problems he encountered. About 17inches of colon was cut away and I ended up with a colostomy. Surgery doesn't always end up with a colostomy, but for my case it couldn't be avoided. So, I slowly got to grips with coping with the colostomy, but it was always in my mind I wanted it reversed. Over a few follow up consultations with the surgeon, he soon realised I was adamant I wanted this done. Obviously everything has to heal inside, so 14 months later in April 2016, he tackled the reversal. A very tricky and complicated procedure taking 7and a half hours followed and the stoma and therefore colostomy was gone and I came out of the operation with another stoma (ileostomy) next to my belly button this time. Which in turn had to heal for a few months. In September last year 2016, I went in for the final part to close the ileostomy and was stoma less! I am still what the surgeon calls 're-training the bowel' and that's getting better every month. I consider myself very lucky. Lucky to have had such a wonderful surgeon, stoma nurses and hospital care. Having nearly two years of operations, recovery and stomas has never stopped me doing things and going places, theatre trips and travelling abroad.

I know it must be daunting to think you may have to have surgery, but bouts of diverticulitis will always need antibiotics to clear it up and each time there's a flare up some damage is done inside. Its a disease that will never just go away of it's own accord. I can only say from my own experience that you will cope with whatever the outcome is for you and I consider my own case a positive outcome that I am delighted with. 

I wish you good luck, try not to worry too much and if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Lynne.

• Posted

Are you in U.K. Or USA I have heard in the U.K. They don't like operating unless it's really bad I am going to see a consultant on Friday because I have had 4 flares in 6 months one was really bad I am in the UK

• Posted

I am in the UK, in the North East. I think your probably correct in the fact that an operation is only considered if things are really bad, antiobiotics will always be given by GPs to clear up a bout. I suffered for about 12 years with repeated bouts of diverticulitis. But it eventually came to the point where I was so ill there was no other option than to operate. I think a pro-active young surgeon helped too, who was willing to carry out tricky complicated reversal surgery on an older person. The first operation had to be done, there wasn't an option for that but I could have been told the reversal was too complicated to carry out if I hadn't have had a pro-active surgeon and I then would have been left with a 'bag for life'.

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I have bowel narrowing too. I'm on antibiotics again

with another infection.

I'm due to see the surgeon next month to say if I want surgery

or not. I don't feel I have a choice now as the infections and pain are too constant, it's one after the other. How did you feel when you came round? Was the pain bad? My only concern is

that I might wake up worse. I am worried about the recovery afterwards, how long was it before you started to feel more yourself?

Linda x

• Posted

I live in West Yorkshire my DR is really good if I have a flare I can get antibiotics over the phone. I am paying to see consultant because I saw one on the NHS who just gave a website for wind. Not helpful at all
    • Posted

Don't think you can have major surgery and not have some pain. The pain comes from the fact that your stomach muscles have been cut, so getting on and off the bed was painful. It was difficult to walk at first and I needed physio but it only took about 2-3 days and I could feel an improvement. I was in hospital about 8 days. Because my surgery resulted in a stoma, you have to demonstrate you can clean the area and change the stoma bag before going home. However, the strange thing was, after the longer surgery to reverse, I hardly had any pain, could walk straight away and getting on and off the bed wasn't a problem, so recovery was very quick. Once home, community nurses came in every day to dress the wound for about 3-4 weeks. It sounds a long time but as your recovering from major surgery, you don't feel up to going anywhere and you can take advantage of resting when needed and an afternoon siesta! 

• Posted

Your right that's not helpful at all. I would have persisted with the NHS and asked for a referral to see a consultant who would arrange for a colonoscopy and possibly a scan to determine what needed to be done. Im sure the consultant your paying for will go down the same route.

Keep in touch and lets know what happens.

Lynne.

• Posted

Keep in touch Linda and lets know what happens when you go next month to see surgeon.

Lynne.

• Posted

She didn't even have my colonoscopy results Let me know how you get on when you go next month and I will post on Friday x

• Posted

Also consultant discharged me back to my GP and told me they will send for me in 5 years How she made that decision without seeing my colonoscopy results beats me
    • Posted

Years ago I had a C-section so I'm assuming it's similar.

I can remember it was really painful at first but once up

and moving around it got a little easier every day.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else had surgery ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.