Anyone Had Surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

If anyone has had surgery in the UK could you let me know

your experience please. ?

I've been offered surgery as I have multiple diverticular.

I am having flare ups too frequently but at nearly 70 surgery is daunting .

Hoping for positive posts but would love to hear any experiences.

Thanks.

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I live in the uk  too and I know that here they are not so keen on surgery as in the usa.  I am 64 and had my first attack in 2014, since then they are occuring more frequently.  My last attack happened about 4 weeks ago and I was admitted to hospital.  Surgery is not something to consider lightly, but when diverticulitis is persistent and having a negative impact on your life, as it is with me, I would not rule it out.  What is the surgeon's advise for your treatment?

• Posted

Hi lyn

my surgeon says it would be laparascopic surgery, but I know

they can't guarantee it as if there are complications it would mean open surgery. There is a small chance I might have to have a stoma but it would be one that could be reversed in time.

I don't feel that I have any other options except surgery as I can't eat without pain. Bowel movements can really set it off and I have excruciating pain, I've been hospitalised so many times and been on so many antibiotics it's unreal.

I am scared of surgery but I've had no life for so long.

• Posted

You must do what's best for you. I know that when I get a flare up I am miserable and the meds are terrible. I've had many flare ups but still hesitate. The fear of the unknown. Prayers for you and others too. It's a roll of the dice.??

• Posted

I can imagine how you feel Linda, I have suffered with DD  for four years and it is really getting me down, not knowing when the next awful attack will happen, then when it does strike I know that I am going to be in terrible pain, nauseous and feverish for at least 24 hours with a possible admission to hospital.  The anti-biotics give me bad side-effects too.  If I suffered one or two a year it wouldn't be so bad but so far this year I have had two already.  Surgery is scary but the thought of having to live with a bag fills me with horror.  My cousin, who is younger than me, had surgery for DD a few years ago and is completely trouble free now.   If my DD was having such a negative impact on my life as it is on yours, I would opt for the surgery, I would be anxious but if it gave me back a normal life, it would be worth it. 

• Posted

I have been hospitalised 4 times this year already

and I'm on antibiotics again now.

Everything I eat seems to set the pain off . I feel weak from

lack of food and am worried I'm going to end up in hospital again!

• Posted

How awful for you Linda, I am so sorry.  The trouble is we are all staggering around in the dark as to how to deal with ths disease, even the doctors don't know.   We cut out this, cut out that, take this, do that, and then, bang, it hits us again!  I hope that you feel better soon. x

• Posted

Hi everyone. I'm waiting for my surgeon to go over my CD of the abdomen to see if he sees narrowing. What does narrowing mean and why does he need to know this. I've had DD for almost 20 yes and each flare up seems worse. I'm? sick of the antibiotics and this disease ruling my life. I'm actually going to be looking forward to surgery...I know, sounds crazy. Too many attacks and too many antibiotics. There is no cure for this, only resection. My thinking is I had a partial hysterectomy so I know how that felt after, hard to walk, etc..I don't think this surgery can be any worse.

• Posted

I haven't had surgery but I think it's worth ride than I partial hysterectomy. I also have had it almost as long as you have and hate all that you do. I recently saw a surgeon and he said he would do an elective surgery if I wanted it. Told me to take Metamucil every day and drink more water. Looked at my scan and said it looks like others he has seen. No abscess. It's my choice. I still don't know. I have spoken to people who have had the surgery and two I know of still get flare ups and have to go on antibiotics. Wishing you the best. I think when you decide it's enough then you made the right decision. As sick as I get and I've been hospitalized. Once I feel better I hesitate.

• Posted

Tx for replying. Just wondering if you have the resection surgery, they are cutting off the diseased part of your Colon, so how does it come back? Are you saying it can come back in another part of your colon?
    • Posted

I have never heard of diverticulitis coming back to a different part of the colon but will ask my surgeon/consultant this question. It's September when I see him next, so rather a while to wait for an answer. I think you'd be extremely unlucky if diverticula disease reared its head in another part of the colon. If any health professional working in this field can answer, that would be helpful.  

• Posted

Lynne..the reason I asked is that I've seen posts on this blog that people had the surgery only to have another attack...weird

• Posted

The reason it comes back is because all of the diseased colon

was not removed, some was left in. So in reality it hasn't come back , it's the diseased part left in that's still giving problems.

• Posted

Oh that's what they are saying then. Why on Earth would a good surgeon leave some of the diseased part if the colon knowing this could happen. Not a good surgeon in my opinion. Thanks

• Posted

And a waste of his time, nursing staff, hospital facilities etc. if it's not all cut out and you have to be admitted again!

Lynne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.