Anyone have 100% success with Ablation?

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi,

My name is Danielle, I just joined the forums for some support. I am 31 years old and had my first catheter ablation about 6 weeks ago for ventricular tachycardia. I've been reading a lot of different stories online about those who have had ablation and I have yet to read at least one story that resulted in 100% success. It seems like many people have still had issues after the surgery and others have had 2 or 3 more ablations. I had a really great doctor and he assured me that he got all the areas that were causing the arrhythmia. I went from have several really bad episodes a day to none at all but just a few days ago the palpitations returned, not severe like they were but I constantly feel dizzy or light headed. I would be so disappointed if the surgery didn't work. It's only been a little over a month since the surgery and I don't go back to the cardiologist until another two months so the heart is still healing and these recent palpitations might be nothing to worry about but I am just wondering how many people have had full success with their ablation? How long have you been cured? And did you have episodes in between your healing before they were finally gone for good?

1 like, 80 replies

80 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I ended up getting rushed to the ER via ambulance. My throat seemed to have closed up and I had a hard time swallowing plus I couldn't figure out why my heart felt like it was pausing. Of course there was the adrenaline rush so when they got here I was perfectly fine. They brought me in anyways but the doctor said based on my symptoms that something is wrong with me, they just don't know what. All my blood panels came back great, chest x Ray was fine and the heart monitor was perfect sinus rhythm. While hooked up to the monitor I did have a few dizzy spells and chest pains but he said whatever it was it didn't change anything with my heart so it's very bizarre. I was there from 10:30 to 3:30 without any symptoms except some occasional dizzy spells and chest pains. So now I'm back to square one. I would think that if a pacemaker was needed it would be obvious at some point during my ER visit. I did bring it up to him but he immediately dismissed it and said how rare it was that someone my age would need one especially after ablation. he said it's not impossible but his bets were not leading towards that.

• Posted

That posted before I wanted it to but anyways still no idea what's wrong with me and if the cardiologist says I'm crazy then I will first jump on the anxiety medication route and finally except that this is all possibly panic attacks but the emt guy believed that this was not panic attacks and that I was possibly going in and out of something that also caused anxiety and anxiousness perhaps.

• Posted

They did hook up an event monitor this time for 30 days.
  • Posted

I went to my primary doctor today and it is confirmed that I have a form of orthostatic tachycardia. Pots syndrome or a form of pots. I have an appointment with the cardiologist on the 21st so I think they are going to let them handle it from there but so far they have me on salt tabs.

It is a huge relief to know now what it is. I thought I was dying and my quality of life has changed significantly just in the past two weeks. I feel very sick all of the time and I'm tired of laying around. I don't think my life will ever be the same but I am optimistic that one day soon I will be able to manage this better and take back some of my life. I'm not sure what kind of medication they will put me on besides salt tabs but I do know I'm going to change the way I eat entirely and see if a more plant based diet can make it better. I'm grateful though that I'm not dying and that this is a life syndrome that can be managed. Some people aren't even that lucky.

• Posted

I've never heard of Pots syndrome Danielle but I'm really pleased to hear that they have got to the bottom of this for you and that you are feeling better at last!  All the very best!  x

• Posted

Thank you Mary. They say that pots is a rare nervous system disorder, most doctors have never heard of it but from what I researched it isn't that rare, it just gets misdiagnosed. It affects everybody differently but usually it comes with a strange amount of symptoms that leave you bedridden, the number one symptom is fainting upon standing or feeling faint, as soon as I sit up or stand up, my heart rate jumps 35 to 40 beats and my blood pressure drops. I'm just learning about it myself but I'm glad they figured it out so quickly. In other good news my SVT appears to be cured so that's worth celebrating.

• Posted

Hi again Danielle. I'm really sorry you're still having a rough time.

But it is positive that at least you now have a name for it, and that should help with your anxiety (and sanity!).

I have never heard of that condition before, but you will already have seem what I've just read about POTS here:

"Prognosis: For many, PoTS will improve with time and in some individuals it will disappear altogether. There are some forms of PoTS that are unlikely to go away but can improve through lifestyle changes and, if necessary, medication. The majority of patients learn to manage the condition and return to something close to their previous level of functioning."

The triggers/symptoms do explain what you were saying about only feeling secure and comfortable when lying down, and all of the anxiety you've been through.

Its great that you've got an appointment with the cardio so soon, we'll be thinking of you and wishing for the best.

Wow, you really are due a break!

• Posted

Thank you Ciaran, I can only hope to be one of the few where pots goes away all together. Thanks for the info.
  • Posted

Hi , I found your post to be interesting . I'm a 29 year old female. I been dealing with Svt since I was 18 . I had my first ablation when I was 18 my heart rate was at 250. I was fine after the procedure until 6 months ago I started getting fast heart beats but nothing like I used to , I wasn't myself , one day while I was at the Er for my Svt they caught on the monitor V tach ( highly dangerous ) ever since then I haven't been the same. I had to do the ep study and possible ablation to rule out I didn't need a pace maker . I did the procuder and thankfully didn't need the pacemaker but yet again needed an ablation fot Svt that he saw..

It's been 3 weeks since my ablation and I'm still getting fact heart beats , sweats, extremely hot.

Not sure why this is happening ..

• Posted

Did they say if the second ablation was a success or not? It's absolutely frustrating when they convince you that this surgery will help you and change your life and yet we still have the same problems if not worse. It's especially frustrating when you don't feel right and your not yourself but they tell you that your fine. Our health system where I live is pretty pathetic so I've definitely had to be my own advocate. If you feel like your not getting answers then I would demand them otherwise we are just a patient file lost in the paperwork. So my guess is that after your first ablation, one of the nerve endings on the ablated areas grew back or found another path? I'm two months post ablation and get hot flushes, chest pain, rapid heartbeat, flutters as though my heart is snoring and empty chest feeling just from sitting and watching tv. They told me my heart is fine but I'm not convinced because my heart still does funny things and I'm aware of every sensation. It's truly annoying and it makes me fearful every single day several times a day. I don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about my heart but they seem to think it's something I'm going to have to adjust to until they find something on that monitor that tells them otherwise. I'm a single mom, I am at home with my daughter everyday and I have so much anxiety that I am going to drop dead and she will be running around the apartment by herself. I am afraid to cook or shower or give her baths because I never know if I'm going to pass out or not. It's terrifying and I don't think anybody should have to live that way. I personally think ablation is their only source of method to trying to get rid of SVT besides medications, otherwise they don't really know what more to do. I did read a story recently about a guy who had ablation and pots syndrome and he had problems for months after his surgery and one day he woke up and felt amazing and continued to feel amazing for years after. So despite the 3 month healing time there are rare occasions where your heart can fix itself. I really wanted to be one of the lucky ones that got to walk away scratch free but so far I don't feel great. I can't exactly speak for what your going through but I can assure you that what your feeling might be your heart working itself out. I wanted instant results to but one ER doctor told me that your heart is aggravated cause it got burned, it needs to heal and some people heal really slow. I hope we get answers and I hope we all get past finish line but in the meantime if you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me. My family doesn't really get it, they check on me everyday but I don't think they truly understand how awful I feel most days. I just want to get on with my life and I can't. I hope you get to feeling better. Sorry for rambling on but today is one of my bad days where I don't feel good.

• Posted

Hi again Danielle, I'm not too sure you'll welcome me butting in again....and just ignore this if you're fed up!

But I'm just wondering whether you spoke to your GP or the cardio (after the POTS diagnosis) about anxiety medication?

Ciaran

• Posted

No my appt with cardio is tomorrow. I'd agree there is definitely some anxiety triggering symptoms but usually it comes because of the episode depending how awful it is. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

• Posted

I'm not really wondering whether anxiety is triggering some of the other symptoms Danielle.

I'm worried that all of this has become too much for you and that you're in danger of having some kind of a 'breakdown' (I think I'd be the same if I were you!).

I think you could really do with 'chilling out' for a while. Whether that would be a a return for a while to the medication you were on, something like a benzo, a few drinks or something else I don't know....

Do press the cardio about this in particular.

Take care of yourself wink 

• Posted

I suppose my post do sound a bit dramatic but I am just here to vent and talk to people who might also be frustrated. It might seem like I'm going crazy and I am aggravated and frustrated as hell but I think I manage things quite well considering the outcome. A lot of my post were directed towards SVT but I'm sure a lot of people here wouldn't understand the pots portion. From what I read most pots people can come across crazy but the symptoms of fainting and being sick are very real, naturally I worry about myself and my daughter because it's not just the SVT I worry about anymore. Again it just helps to talk to people and relate to them and let others know that they aren't alone. I think that's especially important for us folks who don't have family to support us emotionally. A little bit offended but I understand that you think benzos and anxiety meds would take some of the edge off. I don't disagree with that but it's definitely far from a nervous breakdown.

• Posted

Hi Rawwrr,

I had my cardiac ablation for SVT on April 12,2016. In the first month or so I had weird feelings in my chest. I guess they were skipped beats and the heart trying to go into SVT but couldn't. All attributed to the healing I assume. It's been 5 1/2 months and I feel much better. I feel normal. I hope you feel better soon. smile 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Betty! This is good to hear and encouraging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.