Anyone Have Success With Finasteride ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been taking Terazosin 10 mg for about 3 years and recently had bladder etention. After the catherter was taken out my Dr started me on Finasteride 5 mg.

He said let's see what happens in 6 months.... Anyone had luck with this drug?... My energy level is a bit lower and get dizzy sometime when getting up.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've been on Finasteride for about a year and am happy with its control of my prostate enlargement.  If I miss a dose I know all about it within a few hours with an almost uncontrollable urge to urinate.  My only side effect, not reported by anyone else as far as I know, is a marked and unwelcome increase in belly fat.  No dizziness, but the energy levels are not high after dusk.  I hope this helps?
    • Posted

As it is supposed to gradually reduce the size of your prostate it seems strange that missing a dose should give you the urge to urinate.
  • Posted

Hi,  I've been on Finasteride 5mg for about a year now and it's done what it says on the tin as far as controlling the size of my prostate is concerned.  A side effect for me, though not as far as I have seen for anyone else discussing the drug, has been a marked increase in belly fat.  My energy levels after dusk are pretty low, but I have had no symptoms such as dizziness.  The major thing I would mention is that if I ever miss a dose, even by a few hours, I pay for it big time with almost uncontrollable impulse to urinate.  I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hey there Reff.  I don't know If I was on that one ( Finasteride 5MG )  I was on Terazosin 10MG and the last one was Alfuzosin.  All of these pills the side effects I don't think there worth it.  I hated the way then meds made me feel.  Dizzy Tired Sometimes I could not see right.  And the side effect on sex. Your sex life is gone.  The dry orgasm and the pain in the bladder after I said no more.  I was on 3 pills in 4 months.  My Doctor would not let me go 6 months.  I was not emptying my bladder and it was causeing bladder infection.  Had 5 last year and 1 this year.  The pills were not good for me.  I had a Uro-lift done 2 weeks ago.  Peeing great. No getting up 4 or 5 times a night.  Sex is good and on no more pills.  Hope you feel better  ken      
  • Posted

To a certain extent yes.  I take tamsulosin and finasteride and - as others say - if I miss a dose I have more and more difficulty with urination despite as aged says an urge to urinate.

I am overweight and am glad to know that it's the finasteride eek

Otherwise when taking it the urine flow is good and although the ejaculation had been reduced to nothing this seems to be returning.  The side effects of growing breasts does not seem to have happened. It is also supposed - I am told - to allow hair regrowth. Hm I may be imagining that as no one else has commented!

• Posted

I was on finasteride for about 2 years.  Hated what it did to my sex life.  Basically all but killed it.  I finally had a PAE on Sept. 10th, 2014 and atleast now am off all drugs.  The PAE did not solve my night time bathroom frequency but atleast  I now do enjoy a great sex life.  Iam now "exploring" a "Urolift procedure". 
    • Posted

Yes them pills can kill it all.  I'm very happy now no pills and sex is good.  No dry orgasm and at least I can get in the mood...Ken  Talk later buddy
    • Posted

hi chuck..

i was on propecia for about 3-4 months and am experiencing the sexual side effecrs..balls have shrunk a lot and cant feel my penis while walking..very worried..how should i go about trying to resolve the issue..i am based in india. 

thanks

vivek

• Posted

Hi Vivek,

It has been my experience that all of the medications to help with BPH have awful side effects. As you read from others on this site, most who have tried them have stopped taking them for that reason.

So what to do?

Read on this site about the other procedures that are helpful. Pay attention to the side effects of each of them.

Find a good urologist who will do the necessary diagnostic procedures to find out exactly what is causing your problems. Then you will be better prepared to be your own advocate, and pursue the procedure that will work best for you.

To buy time to do this research, seek out the information on this site by JimJames on self catherterization

• Posted

Continuing...

This will give you the ability to urinate, and give you an idea how serious your problem my order may not be.

Do not let any doctor force you into any procedure that YOU have not studied and feel like an expert about. Many of these procedures can have serious permanent side effects worse than the medications.

Neal

• Posted

I was on Avodart for a while and quit it because of sexual side effects. Later they convinced me to try Finasteride and it was even worse. I had PAE done 5 weeks ago and the results have been nothing short of amazing. I have been off of all medicines for 7 weeks now and my sex life is improving, but it is taking a while to recover completely from Finestrride and FloMax side effects. My desires have returned, no more ED, but still not producing as much semen as before taking Finestaride. Not dry ejaculations any more though. I will never take the Finasteride again.

as for my BPH symptoms after PAE, I no longer thing about peeing at all. At most I get up once a night, but not with terrible urgency. Daytime urination frequency is now normal and flow is great. Did I mention that I no longer have to think about peeing at all? Before PAE that totally controlled my life.

• Posted

William you  were lucky.  ChuckP had the PAE last year in september and he still get's up 4 to 5 time a night..  We all have to do what we can to get along with our lifes.  I pick a Urolift  worked great no more pills thank god  Have a great day  Ken
    • Posted

hi william..

i was on propecia for about 3-4 months and am experiencing the sexual side effecrs..balls have shrunk a lot and cant feel my penis while walking..very worried..how should i go about trying to resolve the issue..i am based in india. 

thanks

vivek

• Posted

That stuff is awful. It works, but when I took it, while on the same diet where I lost 40 lbs over 2 years, I GAINED 10 lbs in three weeks, began to grow breasts, and it became nearly impossible for me to reach organism. I got off it at that point, and it has taken a couple of months to recover.

Neal

• Posted

Boy am I glad I have the doctor I have.  I was on 4 meds to help me pee better.  I think the first was finasteride adter 10 day I said the hell with it. He put me on 3 others.  None of this 6 months and we will see.  I don't need breasts  I a bigger guy.  All these pills that the doctors put us on to help us.  Do more harm then good.  I had my urolift 2 weeks ago and after 5 days I was peeing great no getting up at night and no dry orgasm.  And it has a 10 year life or more.  Ken  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.