Anyone Have Success With Finasteride ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been taking Terazosin 10 mg for about 3 years and recently had bladder etention. After the catherter was taken out my Dr started me on Finasteride 5 mg.

He said let's see what happens in 6 months.... Anyone had luck with this drug?... My energy level is a bit lower and get dizzy sometime when getting up.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Reff51;  Yes, I was on "finasteride" for over 2 years.  It did nothing to help me.  It really screwed up my sex life (no pun intended) as it prevented me from having a climax.  I would pursue the urolift that Kenneth had done.  Iam now looking into it myself.  My only concern with it is if I can get my insurance company to authorize it for coverage.  I also agree that all the other pills on the market do very little to actually "solve" the problem.  Over the last few years I have tried them all.  From Tamsulosin to Avodart to Finasteride to Toviaz to Jaylin to etc etc etc. Most guys call them "castration drugs" because thats what they do to your sex life. 
    • Posted

That is very true.  Life is short and we need to enjoy all of it  Ken
    • Posted

I always question why Urologists prescribe pills as a first step. They know that they don't solve the problem. In the UK they may save the NHS the cost of a TURP or Laser procedure for a few years. In America do they have  to save Medicare or Insurance comanies money in the same way?

Prostates are a source of misery to men the world over. The typical answer I get when sitting in the Urologists waiting room if asking someone how they are is 'Miserable and the side effects are too much"

• Posted

Hello Derek.  Insurance companys here are mess up. My surgery was approved in written and my doctor has a copy.  The day after my 2 week I got a letter for them saying it was not approved.  I'm not going to worry about it.  First I do trust my urologist.  He is not cut happy.   Alot of the men that i have talked to there doctor put them on pills and tell them try it for 6 month's.  My doctor tells me try them for 2 weeks He knows if it's going to work it will only take a week or 2.  Why be on something that don't work and is going to cause other problem.  I was on 4 kinds of meds in the last 4 months  They did not work right and the side effect I did not like.  Thats why my doctor told me about the Uro-lift.  Had it done 2 weeks ago and feel fine.  I don't get up at night and I pee great.  The only problem I had was the catheter  that was in for 2 day.  That hurt more then anything but was worth it.  No pills and for sex lets say all is working well.  I wish men would look up information before anything is done to them.  The doctor is not the one that is going to have any side effects you are.  Take care    Ken 
    • Posted

Here they tell you that it takes up to six months for Avodart or Finesteride to become effective. Some GP's are reluctant to prescribe Avodart as it is many times more expensive than Finasteride as there is not a Generic version. Such is their believe that prostates regrew many want patients to stay on drugs after their procedures.

My two laser surgeries helped in some ways but not with night urination as I usually go two or three times nor has my flow ever been consistently good.  

Tamsulosin helps more quickly.

• Posted

My doctor told me to take it for 2 weeks.  He told me that if it going to work you weeks see a improvement in 1 or 2 weeks.  He told me the side effects and I looked it up..Not going to keep taking anything that it not going to work and cause me more problem.  My doctor know not to ever mention Turp or the one with the laser.  I told him right from the start there will be no cutting or burning of my prostate.  Now taking no pills at all and sleep all night....Hope things get better for you..I think the uro-lift is going to work well...Ken   PS.  With the urolift and the prostate growing is will keep it in tak and keep it away fron the urathra.  E-mail me anytime

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.