Anyone help with this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This started in September 2017. I had a sharp pain under my rib cage, centre, above my belly button and was throwing up every time I stood up or walked. Dr came and out and gave me some tablets to help with acid, I just let them melt in my mouth. Took 1 and the next day the pain had dulled alot.

Went to the drs again as was still in a little pain, mainly on the right side, just a dull ache, said it was probably Gastritis after checking my stomach area out for quite a while, pressing down and all that said she couldnt feel anything unusual. Said to keep on the tablet, but go down to 1 a day instead of 1 twice a day. and eat bland foods and I should be alright in  a few weeks.

I had been worrying in case the illness didnt go away as I was going on holiday and didnt want thr pain to spoil it. I was worried and questioning all the “what ifs” etc. The pain started to ease off whilst in the middle of my holiday. 

After getting back (October) I went back to the drs as I had booked the appointment while I was away but the pain had eased a lot, went back, checked stomach again and put me on a lower dosage of the tablets as the infection probably hadnt cleared fully up and went for a blood test.

I had started eating normally again by this point and havent had any trouble with any foods. 

After having my blood test, I started the tablets, i needed to swallow these ones 30mins after food. I was told to take 2 a day for 2weeks and then 1 a day for 2 weeks ( i think)

No problems in this time. It took me to early November. Didn’t hear anything about my blood test, so 2 weeks after having it, i called in and asked about it, everything was fine. 

Thought nothing else of it until last week. 

I was slightly concerned if I would be well for Christmas as the past few Christmas’ i have had and upset stomach or a headache or tired, and I want to be well enough to enjoy the food my grandparents have made as they go to a lot of trouble and dont want to let them down. 

On Sunday I woke up with a cold, so I spent the day doing as much as possible to get rid of it by keeping hydrated, sweating, blowing my nose etc. On the Monday, I was sat down on the computer with the hot water bottle and I felt a pain in the middle, just below the rib cage. I didnt know if it was the water bottle digging in me or the pain coming back but I haf a cold sweat due to it. 

The pain had been there ever since. 

I had been sneezing a lot and had a constant runny nose so I dont know if mucus couldve gone down my thought and caused an upset or if its just down to the cold. I had also been stretching as well before going on the computer.

I havent taken any antiacids or anything like that because last time, they didnt do anything.

Any ideas what it could be?

Im 25 male, I have never smoked and not a big drinker as well. I suffer with anxiety/depression and take a tablet each day for that. Other than that in ok health 

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As far as I know, anxiety and depression come from when something is wrong in your gut. Could be your stomach lining (meds could be the reason for that). So kind of a small inflammation that causes the sharp pain. I would start changing my diet to eating everything cooked, but nothing fried. Nothing spicy or sour. I would also start taking probiotics and fish oil. Also start your day with a glass of water. My stomach usually gets a relief with coconut oil or aloe vera. 

I hope this helps. 

• Posted

I have been drinking a Yakult most days but that doesn’t seen to do much.

No food has made this pain worse either. The pain is more of a dull ache, and other than that and the cold i feel fine. 

• Posted

My friend I hate tell you gallbladder disease is your problem. You need anti nausea pills or liquid over the counter. Also drink organic Apple cider . No greasy or fried foods. Burgers fatty meats. Eat Activia it helps coat you stomach with a banana every morning.Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

What anti anxiety/depression medication are you on?. Check the information leaflet that comes with your med and see if it causes digestion problems..best wishes....

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

How long have you been on them? Citalopram causes stomach and digestive issues..see 'Citalopram and digestive problems'......best wishes....

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

Mmmmm..this could be the cause..or could be adding to another gut problem.......your doc should refer you for an ultrasound scan to see what is going on in your abdominal area...best wishes..

• Posted

Probably will this time, as this will be the 4th time in 4 months I have seen a doctor. Good thing is I have had a blood test and everything came back negative. 

I know last time she said if it continued she would send me for something but I think it was the tube down your throat, I cant remember the proper name.

When it first started in September it came on all of a sudden without warning. 

Probably having a cold set it off again. 

I am hoping it eases, which it does for a time and then comes back, but that could be because I am thinking about and I am worried about it.  I keep looking on my doctors website to see if they have an earlier one than next Thursday, but that is the earliest one at the moment, next one is 28th.

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

Probably an endoscopy. Just sit tight until you see your doc...stop stressing i know easier said then done!....best wishes..keep us posted....

• Posted

TRying not to think about it. Had some soup, no problems.

Ive have had some pink medicine for indigestion, heartburn and some other things.

I dont really want anything to eat but thats down to the cold. But am eating things with no problems and I have not lost weight and going to the toilet is normal.

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

That's good...make sure you keep hydrated with your cold....keep us posted...

• Posted

Just had a cup of tea, and the pain has started to come back.  Maybe it has done this before but never really noticed it... What could that be? 
    • Posted

Heat!!!..keep with warm to cool drinks..warm milk and honey...
    • Posted

It was only war, tea, can not deal with hot drinks anyway. Still no sooner appointments, but will keep checking. 
    • Posted

first time I really noticed it. What could that be? is it acid reflux? or something similar to that, 
    • Posted

Ive gone out and got some gaviscon double action liquid to see if that does anything as its over a week until I see the doctor. 
    • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

Obviously your stomach is sore and the tea aggravated it. You have got gastritis i would think..have you been tested for HPylori a stomach bacteria that lives in the gut and duodenum and causes acid reflux and pain and diahorreah. I would think you will be checked for that with the endoscopy. Acid reflux is a burning sensation that comes up the oesophogaes into your throat..hope the gaviscon works for you. If the pain gets really bad go to A&E......best wishes....

• Posted

Hi, no I have not, only test I had is a blood test, as at the time it was getting better. Think it was being more treated as an after effect of having an upset stomach. 

Luckily I havent had the same intense sharp stabbing pain since the very first day I started with it, and that just came on out of no where. After taking one of the tablets the doctor prescribed me, the pain and eased no end. 

I think I wont be able to get an endoscopy this year now, hopefully the doctor will prescribe me the tablets again, just to get me through Christmas and the new year. Darn cold, was doing well rolleyes

Good news is the cold is getting better. Tomorrow, I am going to see Star Wars and then having pizza with my friends, which does sound daft having this pain, but no food has brought it on and wont over eat either. 

I will keep checking the drs website to see if I can get an earlier appointment. As it is on the 21st at the moment, and at 6.50. But I am glad I have got an appointment, it was the last one available until after Christmas. 

Going to have my first gaviscon ever now.

Fingers crossed it works. 

• Posted

HI

A good way to describe the pain just under my rib cage in the centre is like a sore throat

Had 10ml gaviscon, did help for an hour or so but came back rolleyes only had 10ml instead of 20ml as i have never had that before, so i may up that over the next few days. 

The area is tender to touch as well.  

• Posted

HiTheWolverine

It could be gallstones or gastritis...can't say for definite until you have a scan or endoscopy., both can create soreness.

It will be fine to take the recommended dose of gaviscon if the instructions say to take 20ml measure.....

• Posted

Hopefully it eases. 

When i had my blood test everything came back normal. 

Can gastritis get better/cured?

I have not found any foods that have set me off. 

Think that is the best to describe the pain as a sore pain. 

• Posted

Didn’t sleep very well last night. I just wasn’t tired. 

I think another thing that is on my mind is that a family friends son has got diagnosed with stomach cancer. That has worried me. But keep telling myself that i had a blood teat that came back fine, the pain went away for a time, I havent lost weight, i can eat normally and my stools are nornal. 

I think that the gaviscon may work a little bit for a time. Maybe an hour or 2 but im sure it does easy it. 

Blinking cold, setting this off. 

• Posted

If your bloods were fine then it is extremely unlikely that there is anything sinister causing your pain, but I know it’s hard not to let your thoughts run away with you. Most gastric problems remain complete mysteries, even to doctors, and often just resolve themselves in time. That said, you’ve got your doctors appointment next week so they will proceed with any tests etc that they feel are necessary. Good luck and enjoy your pizza and Star Wars!
    • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

So sorry you didn't sleep probably due to overthinking things..if your blood results came back clear then you have not got stomach cancer. You would have very clear symptoms if you did..if you have not got acid reflux i would go in the direction of a gallbladder problem going by your description of where the pain is...keep up with the gaviscon if it is helping....it is very cold keep warm and keep positive!...my very best wishes yo you..

• Posted

Thats what I keep telling myself about the blood test and everything else is fine. I know when I had my blood test my gallbladder was tested then and was ok.

Good news though, I have managed to get an earlier appointment at the Doctors. Instead of Thursday evening it is now Monday morning. smile I am happy about this as if I need another blood test or medicine I can get it that day. Plus it gives me a little longer for the medicine to kick in and hopefully work before Christmas. And if I need a scan or the throat thing, it will get processed hopefully before Christmas. 

Dont know if it is related but i have got a little discomfort below the belly button. Not that bad, but from the rib cage down to around my belly button that area feels tight. 

• Posted

Thank you. 

I have managed to get an earlier appointment, which I am happy about as it will help put my mind at rest, adn start to get things moving in terms on medicine or tests. My appointment was late evening on Thursday, now it is early morning monday, which is great as I can nip for a blood test that day and/or pick up my medicine, if needed. Plus if I need scan or whatever they should start getting processed before Christmas. 

I think my cold brought it on. With maybe my subconscious worrying me about the family friend. But I keep telling myself, the blood test came back fine, I have not lost weight, I can eat normally (just the pain) My stools are normal.

It obvisouly sucks that I have this pain. I am not a big drinker, I havent had any alcohol for months, I dont do drugs, I try and go for a walk everyday. But I enjoy my food. 

I know people say dont have spicy foods or fried foods, but I have had them (Spicy food was when I had the pain originally, and was by accident, I had a spicy chicken piece and was fine.) [fried  I have had 2 fried eggs over a week apart, with very little-no oil in the pan and was fine] 

• Posted

HI

The pain hasn’t been that bad today compared with past days. I had 5ml of gaviscon after eating a sandwich and then 5ml before star wars (total let down, first time i have come out of a star wars film thinking it was rubbish. Seeing the faces of people leaving, they did not look that happy either)

Had pizza, and then had 15ml of gaviscon. So hopefully it is passing and it was just irritated by my cold and with my cold going and having gaviscon it is helping.

Seeing doctor on Monday now

• Posted

HI

The pain hasn’t been that bad today compared with past days. I had 5ml of gaviscon after eating a sandwich and then 5ml before star wars (total let down, first time i have come out of a star wars film thinking it was rubbish. Seeing the faces of people leaving, they did not look that happy either)

Had pizza, and then had 15ml of gaviscon. So hopefully it is passing and it was just irritated by my cold and with my cold going and having gaviscon it is helping.

Seeing doctor on Monday now

• Posted

Eating Pizza and sandwiches certainly won't help. But then again, you'll be back here telling that us no food triggers the symptoms. 

• Posted

I keep taking the gavsicon.  Cold has nearly gone, just got an annoying cough left over. Pain has been about the same today, not as bad as it was on Tuesday. 

Hopefully doctor will give me something to make me feel better again. 

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

Glad your cold is almost gone and pain is not as bad. Hang on in there you will be seeing your doc soon. Just keep taking the gaviscon if you need to...best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you. Will do. I am

Not having the full 20ml. Im having between 5-15ml ish. I either dont fill the spoon full or I spill it. Did enjoy the pizza on Thursday night, shame about the film. 

Hopefully start to sleep better as well. Hopefully after monday and the doctor will have a plan of action I can start to relax more. 

• Posted

For some reason, I am feeling nervous, but dont know why.
    • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

That's a natural reaction. I think we all get nervous before docs appointment or hospital appointment. I certainly do....probably the fear of the unknown which usually turns out ok....best wishes....

• Posted

Maybe, but I wasnt afraid yesterday or earlier on. I was glad to have an appointment with the doctor. I keep telling myself the blood test came back fine, the pain has got abit better, you can describe it as a dull, sore ache, instead of just a dull ache, the area where it is is tender to touch, not full blown pain, you can touch it but it is a slight discomfort. 
    • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

You are worrying innecessarily!..enjoy your weekend..stop thinking about it...anxiety and stressing could make the pain worse and it is subsiding now..only two days to go don't spend it overthinking things...wrap up warm and go out for a walk and de-stress....have a calm and happy weekend..best wishes...

• Posted

Hi, you are probably right.  Im going to find something to do. Ill text my friend to see if he wants a walk around our local country park. Dont mind walking around there, just getting there, i dont wanna walk there lol. If not ive got to find somewhere for boxes to go.

Had some dinner about 30mins ago and no pain. Haven’t had gaviscon, not sure to have it or not, if i do probably be around 5ml

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

I have never used gaviscon but read the label and see how you are supposed to take it. Can you take it every day before every meal for instance...or do they recommend until pain abates...i personally wouldn't take it if i had no pain...this way you can tell if the pain has actually abated or if it is just the gaviscon working on it.....enjoy your walk....

• Posted

Hi

Yeah, i have , says take 5-20ml after meals and before bed. 

I did end up having 5ml before walk. If it is about the same tomorrow I won’t take any

• Posted

Hi

I think the pain gets slightly worse after eating

• Posted

Hi

Just got back from Doctors. Told her everything and said she thinks it is acid reflux, due to the location and that is why I am getting the soreness, plus the reason the Gaviscon it working a little bit. Said dont think it is anything more severe as the blood test came back clear on everything, with no signs of infection or inflammation.

Gave me the same tablets I was on last time, but this time, I believe they are a stronger dosage and I should only take one a day when and needed, as your body can start depending on them.

he said there is also one more test she would like to do before having the camera down my throat, and that is a stool test to check for a bacteria in the stomach. I need to do that before having the tablets. If there is anything she will phone me up and go from there. 

• Posted

Hi TheWolverine

Doc must be checking for HPylori a common stomach bacteria which can cause acid reflux..I am very please that all turned out well for you...keep us posted as to the bacterial test....best wishes..

• Posted

WIll do, think the tablets are slightly different from my other as this time i have to have the tablets 30-60mins before food, others were after food 
    • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

Take the tabs as instructed...and just wait for the bacterial test....all's good..my best wishes to you...

• Posted

Thats what i am doing. Its a good job i read the label and instructions. Wonder why these ones are before meals and not after?
    • Posted

Hi TheWolverine

It is probably to line your stomach before you eat.....

• Posted

Helps reduce the amount of acid I think doctor said. Its something to do with the acid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.