Anyone here post turp, more than 6 months.?? How are things now??

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had trup surgery on June 15th this year,...started cathing 10 weeks prior to that because of almost total retention..

I am now 11 weeks post surgery..I have been through dark times and some highs too. I can pee naturally now (standing/sitting....sitting clears more, if not all from my bladder) and Im hoping I can stay off cathing..time will tell.

Are there any people here who are (say) 12 months or so, post turp ..

I am interested in other peoples experiences and what they think is their final outcome regarding sucess/partial or not of their surgery..?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I managed to have 12 months free after TURP, then it grew and blocked up again and I refused another TURP and had Prostate removed with Cancer in it.

• Posted

Health wise I am relaxed that Cancer has gone and that there is nothing to block the flow of my urine, but I still have stress incontinence and am awaiting an op to sort that out. Do not get erections so no sex life but not too worried at 75.

• Posted

Well, there are Trimix injections as a possibility, although having another kid is out of the picture.

• Posted

I am now 5 months post bipolar TURP. Flow has increased by about 50%. Bladder is calming down - by that I mean, I don't feel as much bladder sensitivity and the urgency/frequency issue is better. However, my sleep is still disturbed from several years of prostate issues. It still takes me several attempts to clear my bladder - standing up works best for me. Before surgery I was able to pee 3ml/second with 1 Flomax per day, or 5ml per second with two. Now, I am back to one Flomax per day and am able to pee about 7-8ml per sec. My flow is not wide open as some report, so there is still some restriction - likely bladder issues. If I have to have another operation in the future I would seriously consider either HoLEP or a Simple Prostatectomy. Five years ago I had radiation for prostate cancer but now if I had to do it all over again I would have had my prostate removed and that would have avoided all of the torture I have been enduring from BPH issues, especially sleep disturbance.

• Posted

Thank you supertractor man and Im sorry to hear of what was your ongoing problem...

Tom...thanks & I can see why you would have taken a different approach...Plus I am relieved to have come across this site and read about many peoples ongoing frustrations after surgery...the night time stresses are what really gets me but just knowing others have gone through it and still improved....... helps me psychologically..personally it feels like I make three steps forwards then two back....just to keep me on my toes..

• Posted

I had a TURP on 2/20/19 so just past the 6 month point. Still very happy with the results. No problems whatsoever. I resumed all normal activities after 3 weeks and my PVR dropped from 60cc to zero at my 3 month checkup. In addition to discontinuing the alpha-blocker (which gave me RE and I still have it), I was able to discontinue bladder spasm medication I'd been on for 20 years. My doctor said I might need another in 10 years. Although my prostate was not very big, I had a large median lobe protruding into my bladder. I am very happy I had it done.

• Posted

Speaking on behalf of my husband who doesn't use the computer. His TURP was 6 months ago and he is completely healed and urination is so much better. Periodically he will have to stand for awhile but is always successful in elimination. His problem was after surgery. He couldn't hardly walk. But we believe it was due to the way he was positioned on the table for an hour. He has a weak back and discs to begin with and it has left him with somewhat of a limp, aching legs and loss of energy. He goes in for a nuclear stress test next week to be sure there isn't a blockage in the veins going down his leg. Recovery was slow but he really is soooooo much better. It just takes time. A commodity men don't like to waste.

• Posted

I had my TURP several years ago and while it was complicated because I am on blood thinner, after that issue was resolved I got considerable relief.Post surgery recovery was not immediate but on target with what my urologist told me. For a couple of years I had RE and while that is not completely true now emission is significantly reduced.

Nocturnal urinary events are infrequent. Most nights I can sleep the night thru without interruption. Occasionally I need to go once. Very seldom more than that. I am still on proscar. Stream is becoming weaker and I hope I don't have to get another one. Good luck.

I notice that the stories men tell about their TURP are all over the place. There are no guarantees.

• Posted

"I notice that the stories men tell about their TURP are all over the place. There are no guarantees."

This seems to be true no matter what procedure is performed, although HoLEP seems to have good reports. Of course, the surgeons who do that are highly trained. It is also true that this forum attracts many who have had post op issues and are seeking advice.

• Posted

Thank you Glenn & good luck to you.!

Thank you Lindy..I wish you and your husband all the best!

Lee , thanks & best for the future!

• Posted

One further comment is that your Prostate can continue to grow after your TURP and you can go back to square one, plus the operation to remove your Prostate after a TURP requires extra stitching I am told and that can affect your sphincter valve resulting in stress incontinence. If I had known this I would not have had a TURP first of all, but have had my Prostate removed by robotic Da Vinci. Having met a number of men who had this done, they all said their incontinence was solved very quickly and they got back to normal life.

• Posted

Hi Stman

I hope mine does not continue to grow.

I do remember reading that with some, the surgery needs to be repeated...I would not relish that, but hopefully it would work and obviate an actual requirement that the prostate needs to be removed.

• Posted

Hi ,Did they do Turp Bipolar? Did they keep you overnight in the hospital,put you on antibiotics?

I had C-Diff for 7 months ,it's terrible.antibiotics can bring it back. I/m thinking of getting Turp Bipolar

can you tell me what the side effects were like?

Thanks

frank

• Posted

Hi, Did you have Turp Bipolar surgery?Did they keep you overnight in the hospital,did they they put you on antibiotics

I had C-diff 7 months ,it's terrible,antibiotics can cause a relaspe. I'm thinking of having Turp Bipolar done.

Would you kindly tell about the side effects you had?

Thank So Very Much,

frank,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.