Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Posted , 526 users are following.

Hi there,

After much deliberation, talking to just about anyone I could find and generally scouring the internet for information, I have decided to go with the Docs advice and take Citalopram, starting today. And then I found this site....

Has anyone NOT had any side effects on this? It is making me feel very worried about taking it. Am I just going to have to sit tight and presume the worst? Are there people who take it and dont feel nauseous and tired or even worse to begin with?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

M

38 likes, 5315 replies

5315 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Thanks both for your comments. I have now done 7 days on 10mg and about to up the dose to 20mg today. So far I have had a slight feeling of nausia, a dull headache, loss of apetite, feeling tired all the time, a greater thirst, yawning much more than is usual and generally feeling "spaced out".

I did start taking this at the tail end of flu so I am hoping that some of these "side effects" can be attributed to having just got over the virus - after all you people do feel tired for a few weeks after - dont they? I know, I know.... I am probably kidding myself on this one.

None of these side effects are unbearable in the grand scheme of things - I am just hoping that upping the dose will not have too bad an effect. The ends justify the means I guess, I am hoping that I will just be able to use them for a short period, just to get over this black hole, and then I shall start the withdrawal programme - extremely slowly.

I shall let you know progress.

Thanks again for all comments.

• Posted

Hi

I started on 20mg nearly 3 weeks ago i had a feeling of nausea,sweaty palms and like you yawning more than normal .I too researched the anti-depressant line as much as possible as it was the last resort to my depression and just wanting to feel happy again. Im sticking with it and hoping its a short process,my doctor stated 6 months then withdraw.Good luck.

• Posted

I took celexa for 5 years. I am 68 and was on 40 milligrams . Read 40 was too much for my age, so dropped back to 20. Felt fine. So decided to taper off completely. Doctor thought I should stay on it but monitored my withdrawal. Felt great for about 6 months. Then POW depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance. I am grieving the loss of a dear friend of 40 years so that may have triggered the relaps?? I decided to quit by telling myself that I would rather deal with the depression and anxiety. WRONG ! I have been back on 20 mil for 4 days . I just pray it works as well as it did 5 years ago. Just know you are not alone.
    • Edited

Hi Lelie, I am replying to you as I can't really relate to other posts and hope maybe we can help each oher. I am also 68 and was taking Citalopram for 14 years started when we moved and I was so anxious and unable to cope but only ever been on 10mg and then reduced it to half a tablet for this last year. The doctor told me that such a small dose could no have any affect and I might as well stop taking it so I reduced the tiny half to a quarter and then after a few weeks stopped altogether. I tried stopping once before about 2 years ago but after a couple of months I was irritable and angry all the time and feeling low. I have a husband who is very kind to me and puts up with my up and down moods but it is not really fair on him. So I stopped again a few months ago and at first felt fine no different from when taking the half tablet but the last few weeks all I feel is angry about everything and irritated by everything and anything my husband says I snap at him. I hate being like this and now am thinking perhaps just starting on the half tablet again as it obviously did help in stabilizing my moods. Like you I kept thinking why do I need to take it. I think when something happens out of the normal like with you your friend dying that makes it harder to cope.

Please if you feel you want to reply let me know how you are getting on.

• Posted

Hi I'm 41 and I've been on citapram 20 mg for about 12 years due to anxiety. Side effects were not to bad. Wanted to say I was happy taking 10 mg every other day even 10 mg once or twice a week. When I went to the doctor she said .. it won't be doing anything at 10 mg so may as well come off it . I did and felt the anxiety creep back. Gone back on the again just trying to stick to 10 mg.

It's hard to know what to do for the best.

Doctor also scared me by saying more risk of dementia if on citapram long term

• Posted

Did the side effects ever go away?

Flu? I betting no 😘

• Posted

Hello, I just wanted to add a little something and do not want to scare anyone, but my daughter told me yesterday that is says on the news tthey have discovered that Citalopram over 40mg may have been causing heart damage?? She could not read a lot on this as she was on her mobile phone, but they said they were telling Dr's not to prescribe high doses anymore? I have been on 50mg for a while now, but changed it last year when i found out i had cancer and i felt the need for an even higher dose, but dr had to change it to a different antidepressant as he said 50mg was the highest i could go on citalopram. well now ive finished my chemo and radiotheapy i have found out i have some mild heart damage?? The dr's have said it is the chemo that has caused this though??
  • Edited

So sorry to hear that Honnybea.

Have to say on the 20mg I feel great. All side effects have stopped and I am finally feeling myself again - even the children have noticed the difference - Mummy doesnt shout anymore! Yaay. Seeing the docs next week to have a chat about progress.... smile

• Posted

How long til you felt better? I am on 45mg mirtazapine and have been for 8 weeks but not working so doc added 10mg citalopram but only been taking for 4 days and anxiety through the roof and depression even worse if that's possible!! Do I keep going with them? Getting to desperation point now..I need my life back!! Taking diazepam for the anxiety but they will soon run out and they won't give me anymore x
  • Edited

That is just fantastic news, its so nice to hear that the anti depressants have helped, but more that you are feeling better. I never know if mine are working or not, i feel ok, i dont feel depressed but i get very anxious but after what ive gone and are going through i'm not surprised. But i would not be prepared to stop the tablets to see if i felt any different to find out if they are working or not lol. I'm just so glad to hear your feeling a lot better, and that the kids have noticed it to. I used to shout a lot as well, but until you mentioned it, i never really thought about it, but now i can see i have also changed in that way. Good luck for the future xx
    • Posted

This is an old thread but I have just found it! Hope you are well honeybea. I can only say that I started on Citalopram because I had become an unusually bad tempered sod. I stopped it for a while after a year I think, (no problems stopping by the way vis a vis addiction) however I was soon given the hard word by my wife that my temper was worse and would I please get back on to the medication if I wished to stay married. I remember for the first week of starting on them I felt a bit hyper but haven't suffered any side effects at all until I read this thread when I realised that I am needing much more sleep and having a snooze during the day. Depending on your life style this may or may not be called suffering so to be honest I hadn't connected the two. I'm 67 and my wife knows me to be a lazy git so I can get away with it and to be frank it's nice to know the reason why I have less energy than in years gone by. I told my Doc to up my dose to two pills so I assume I'm on 20 mgs and while I'm not a sweet person to live with now I'm not as insufferable as I was.

Still married!

• Posted

i been on citalopram 30mg for almost a year now an to me it just aint helped at all. my counciler has told me to swap to Amitryptoline. I never realised but about 4 hours after taking my meds i get tired and fall asleep anywhere. i thought this was the pregabalin i'm taking but reading these posts i'm begining to wonder whether it's the citalopram thats the cause. Could be the combination of both. I've realised as well that combinations of more than one drug is ver common and the same names crop up.
    • Posted

Until I read this thread I had not connected my need for huge amounts of sleep with Citalopram. I am lucky to be retired and can therefore rearrange my day to start when I feel like getting out of bed and have trained the dogs to live around that! I can see that that would be a problem for younger people though and can quite see that Citalopram isn't therefore suitable for everyone. I don't have any experience with other meds but can only say that we need to trust the advice of the professionals. Their experience with people with our problems should give them a better idea of how these meds will affect us. Good luck to you on the change to amitryptoline. Reading this thread seems to have helped us both!
    • Posted

Thanks, i've never been one for these forum type things before but when i was browsing and read some of the posts i was intregued by peoples reactions to the meds they were on and noticed a pattern regarding the sleep issue. My family think its just because i dont sleep well at night and are generally tired during the day. I am not regimented with the time i take my tabs so i see the pattern that i get tired about 4 hours afteri take my tabs. This tiredness will only last for about 1/2 hours and i just sit there keep nodding off. Even sitting up right. i got see my doc because i know these meds are not working. Someone has stated that they were on statins and these put them in a foul mood. I'm on statins and woder if the case is the same for me. The citalopram is not helping because of the side effects of the statins? Makes me think.
    • Posted

My God don't get me started on Statins! Look up on Google " Statins side effects" I will never take them again...dreadfully foul mood,bad back ache, muscle weakness... They nearly killed a friend of mine by causing her kidneys to produce protein. Her feet turned black and she wasn't given long to live,then someone had the bright idea to take her off statins and she walked out of hospital a week later!

Going back to this site there is lots of info and loads of caring people who are going through the same things as you. Deco worth swapping a few experiences. Stupid question i expect but why don't you take the Citalopram 4 hours before bedtime?

• Posted

not a stupid question really. Doc says take it in the morning. but now you mention it as it's suposed to be a 24hr pill then i can't see why not. I also take Prgabalin 250mg twice a day and the side effects off those pretty much the same.Make me tired dizzy light headed. i going to look at the statins see what it says. I told my counceller today about what been said about statins and mood swings and she knew. so hold on then could this be why i'm so down? Maybe. she said.
    • Posted

The body produces cholesterol, the brain is actually formed a huge amount from cholesterol which is necessary for life. Why is there a 4 billion dollar a year industry to lower cholesterol? God only knows. It isn't fat that is killing people it is the vast amounts of sugar that we are being fed in all sorts of manufactured foodstuffs that is leading to the obesity and heart problems. I will never take statins again, I have tried one form and later a lower dose of a different type. Side effects both times and many scientists are beginning to agree that it is all a Big Pharma con trick. Very lucrative for them of course.

If you have to take a pill that makes you sleepy or even makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason I would at least experiment with taking those pills before I go to bed. Dizziness is better put up with if you're lying down and drowsiness surely is a plus point if you're in your pit!

• Posted

Hello, I know this is old but I felt I might be able to help give you some advice. In live in the US and was put on nortriptyline.  i was told to take it at night because it will make you very sleepy.  So no wonder your zonked out.  Since Celexa (citalopram) is,defeating.  my Dr. told me to start with 5 mg for a week, take at night.  wait a week or two then take the full 10 mg pill.   Also any of these drugs that end is yline are usually very defeating.  in the US I believe Elavil is name for it.  I US military likes to prescribe these for people with chronic pain (guess they think we're,all crazy)  but the other major deal with nortriptyline is huge weight gain.  everyone I knew who was prescribed it for pain, or for sleep all gained weight.  And we have to make weight standards so if over night you seem to have gained weight and don't know why look to nortriptyline.  sorry it's called Elavil in the states.  I would be curious of anyone has either lost or gained on Celera.  sorry citalopram...  A quick shout out to all my UK buddies at Royal Air Force Base Croughton. The UK is the best.  Best of Luck. L. J 

• Posted

Sorry My phone keep changing

sedating to defeating!!:-)

• Posted

That is the nicest thing you could possibly say, thank you!
    • Posted

• Posted

• Posted

I'm new to this forum & this drug only been on it 6 days now. Feeling crappy but getting a kick outta your posts. I think you're very humorous. Thanks
    • Posted

There are many people who have been through what you are feeling on this discussion and they can all help. Me? I feel that it is important that life is, and should be, fun. Citalopram can return fun to life in my uninformed opinion.

• Posted

There are many people who have been through what you are feeling on this discussion and they can all help. Me? I feel that it is important that life is, and should be, fun. Citalopram can return fun to life in my uninformed opinion.

• Posted

• Posted

I agree life should be fun. I just noticed this site says UK, I presume not everyone on is in England? It's kinda cool tho to think I might be talking to someone who is. I'm in Washington state & tonight on TV r my fav programs, bbc programs I think they r funny even though I don't understand some of the accent. My husband doesn't get the humor in them. Probably cause my mom was from Australia I get it. Anyway I'll stop rattling on nice talking to u!
    • Posted

Carol, it has been 10 days for me now. 20mg.   Some nausea, headache.  Not feeling  a positive effect yet.  Feel irritable, indecisive, wanting to isolate.    Am interested in how you are doing. Wondering how long it should take to feel the effcts 
    • Posted

Sue I'm on day 15 now. Yesterday a nervous wreck all day (for no reason) today 10 times better but after reading some of these posts not sure if it's gonna last or not. Some people r saying takes 6 wks to get fully in your system.  Hopefully you will start feeling a little better each. I felt just like you the first week.  Stay in Touch I'd like to know how you're doing
    • Posted

Thx, Carol.  Will try to check back with you.  Hope we have good results. 
    • Posted

I could sleep anytime on citapram

It I'm not busy I want to sleep which is not good .

• Posted

Hi can you tell more about you taking citalopram? You mean you sleeping good when you taking this medicine? I used taking before it helped me sleep. But I got off last year and I have ba problem With my sleeping again so I went to go see my family Dr. I told her to write me citalopram. Come home take it and go to bed it totally difference I stay awake for 7 days now. I'm still on 7 days now. It come you down at night time but I don't know why I still awake all night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.