Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Posted , 526 users are following.

Hi there,

After much deliberation, talking to just about anyone I could find and generally scouring the internet for information, I have decided to go with the Docs advice and take Citalopram, starting today. And then I found this site....

Has anyone NOT had any side effects on this? It is making me feel very worried about taking it. Am I just going to have to sit tight and presume the worst? Are there people who take it and dont feel nauseous and tired or even worse to begin with?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

M

38 likes, 5315 replies

5315 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I know this thread goes back years, just wondering if anyone is around for reassurance, I'm having a really tough time Just now, it would be nice to be able to get some, words of wisdom it's such a horrible thing to be going through, 😔

• Posted

Hi there! It WILL get better. Citalopham saved my life. It did take about two months go me before the side effects were gone and I was feeling better. I started on 10 mg and then went to 20 after a month. I'm so glad that I took them. I was having really really bad anxiety. Hang in there. It will get better.

• Posted

Thanks Amy, I was on 10 mg for 4-5 weeks and now Iv only been on 20mg for 11 days,

Was it about 2 months from when you first started or from starting 20mg,

How long you been on altogether? I do get glimmers of better days, then bad again,

Thank you for your reply x

• Posted

Hang in there Wendy, things will get better. I'm on my 7th week, if you need anything let me know. I've been where you are, and I went through it alone. Don't punish yourself, talk to someone it really helps!

• Posted

Hi Wendy, it was two months from starting it at 10 mg. This drug saved my life.

I have been on 18 months. Pretty soon it will be all good days. 😊 Hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks Jonny

It is horrible, feel so rubbish, confused and feel like I'm letting my kids down, I'm trying my hardest to keep it together, I'm going through it alone too well apart from the kids, thank you for your kind words

X

• Posted

Thanks Amy,

I can't wait until I feel a bit normal again, feeling really crap today don't know if Iv maybe got a wee bug, really upset tummy,

It's nice to hear there is hope out there,

Wendy x

• Posted

Wendy, you are not alone! I'm here if you need anything. I know how you feel, I felt the same way, I'm a single dad with twin daughters. I always beat myself up knowing that I quit being me. I quit doing things with my kids. But it's important that you stay positive knowing that 4-6 weeks on Citalopram you will see that feelings you once had of fear and panic will have calmed down. The side effects that you feel now will be gone. Then all you have left to do is build your life back up. We all hit the bottom before, but it is up to you to keep fighting!! Be strong dear, take your pills with pride knowing that one day you will be happy again. Your kids will always love you no matter what. You didn't let anyone down, everyone around you will notice after time how you've changed. Your smile will be back, and your kids will see that their mother is back. Hang in there, if you feel worse just lay down and let it pass. I'm here if you have any questions. Never give up Wendy 😊

• Posted

I wanted to tell you my experience as have been desperately looking at this thread for the last 6 weeks hoping for some positive reviews to give me hope.

Now I have positive news!! I had terrible anxiety with panic attacks and basically gave up going anywhere (including work) or doing anything. I was prescribed 10mg cit then uptitrated to 20mg. The side effects were horrendous, terrible dreams, couldn't sleep, increased anxiety and half a stone weight increase. I went back down to 10mg 4 days ago with the intention of stopping them then yesterday I woke up and decided I was going to be well and wasn't going to give up to these irrational fears. I got in my car and drive to s busy shopping centre, chatted to strangers and today have gone to the gym (in the car again!)

Now my interpretation of this would be that the cit has kicked in and given me the ability to solve this problem with the help of the medication. There is no way I can cope with the side effects of 20mg but I think 10mg is giving me enough positivity to help myself get better.

So my advice is be positive, feelings of anxiety and panic are scary but aren't going to kill you and you can override them (try reading up on positive affirmations, i.e. repeating to yourself that your in control). Try thinking positive thoughts and being grateful for everything you have (for me my son and dogs). And EXERCISE, it's not easy to get motivated but makes a massive difference to the state of mind.

I hope my post isn't too long winded but I just wanted to share some positive thoughts. The meds do help (I'm about 7 weeks in) but don't just sit and wait for them to work. After those horrendous first weeks of side effects are over try to help yourself - you are strong and you can and will get better.

• Posted

Oh and following on from my long winded hopefully positive message that I've just posted. I forgot to mentioned diazepam (Valium). I asked my GP to prescribe a short course for emergencies (he gave me 15). I've only taken 2 at a very low dose but I keep them in my bag as a 'crutch'. The only time I've needed them is when I've had people coming to my house and was getting panicky before they arrived. They allowed me to see my parents who I had been avoiding for 7 weeks as I couldn't admit to my irrational panic!

• Posted

I started on 10 ml a month ago..going to start in 20 ml this week. ...had a couple of headaches... appetite decrease during the day but love chocolae at night....i take it 2 hours before bed as recommended by doctor...so far so good
  • Posted

I've been on 10mg for 2 weeks and 20mg for two days. I am feeling very sleepy, sore muscles and my anxiety is terrible. I stopped using pristiq six months ago due to the horrible side effects (sleepy, severe fatigue) after being on it for a year and a half. I am terrified this tablet may be doing the same.

• Posted

HI. im now  2 weeks into taking cit, first 10 days on 10mg and last 4 on 20mg. I am suffering from anxiety and panic attacks which came on after a health scare, which turned out to be fine! I feel absolutely awful in the mornings, heightened anxiety, shaking and wanting to be sick. It tends to start getting better by the evening. Can anyone reassure me that the anxiety will die down? 
    • Posted

I've been on Citalopram 20mg for 5 weeks now for exactly the same reasons as yourself (Health scare, started suffering from anxiety, turned out fine but was obsessing about every ache and pain ((and still am to a certain degree)). It does get better, I'm not there yet but the side efffects are slowly subsiding (anxiety, nausea, dizziness, headaches, thumping heart beat, sore throat and chest etc etc.), the obsessive thoughts are becoming less (I'm also having CBT) and you will start to have good moments with less anxiety, those will slowly become good days and eventually (I hope!) the good days outweigh the bad. It's not a smooth ride and there will be ups and downs - this week has been a bit crap for me and continuous anxiety breathing difficulties (or is it something else?!? - sore throat, shallow breathing....see how our minds work!) but today is a bit better so onwards and upwards.

• Posted

Ah thank you for replying. I just did a great big response to you and somehow managed to wipe it out so I will start again.  

I feel better in the evenings for some reason but wake very early and the anxiety/stomach nerves and shaking start immediately.  I then pace the house for hours. What a mare! Feel like an idiot to be honest. 

I also had the shortness of breath but was also getting over a bad cough and this appears to have gone now.  I've got a telephone call with a cbt therapist tomorrow which will take an hour...not sure I will be able to sit still that long!

youre right, it's not going to be a smooth ride, unfortunately.  It's like a broken leg, doesn't fix itself overnight.

please keep posting so I know how you're getting on. I also have diazepam for emergency moments but have managed not to take them much x

• Posted

Hi. I Am on day 21 of 10mg today. My anxiety has definitely gone down but mornings are still hardest with racing thoughts etc and I also woke up with a nightmare which didn't help! This is my 3rd time on citalopram and it does work wonders for anxiety just takes a few weeks to take affect and I also think I need to up to 20mg for full benefits. Is this your first time on them?

• Posted

Hi Katie. You're right, the morning anxiety is crippling. Especially at 4 in the morning! I had to resort to a diazepam this morning which upset me because I do not really want to go down that route.  It's not my first time on them, I suffered post natal depression with both my children but the diet kicked in immediately then. I think this is different because it's anxiety rather than depression.  

It does sound as if you're getting better which feels me with much more confidence.  I have to say though that by the evenings, I feel almost normal again, very weird!!

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Yes it's so strange by evening I do feel a lot better! But I remember it being like this the last couple of times I've been on citalopram so it must be the norm I guess. I even managed to go to the gym last night and I can honestly say I enjoyed it. I must be getting better as I couldnt of done it a couple of weeks ago! It's just such a slow process and you really need to be patient with it. I know I will get there in the end and so will you. I think this time though I will stay on it for as long as I can. I really wish I hadn't stopped it as I felt great great when I was last on it. I'm so thankful for threads like this. Makes me feel a lot more positive. X

• Posted

Sorry, blooming predictive text....should say cit, not diet!
    • Posted

Hi Katie. Well done for getting to the gym. It does make you feel so much better when you manage to achieve something.  I am making myself go out with the dog and have spoken to people out with their dogs, whereas last week, I couldn't do that.  

It is a slow processs this time which is so frustrating, especially when I feel quite good in the evenings. Trouble with waking at 4 in the mornings is that you have to be quiet in order not to wake anyone else so I just kind of pace around downstairs. Perhaps a diazepam at that point might be a good idea!!!

ive read this whole forum and I guess that as people have disappeared, they've just got better and moved on....and so will we. Keep posting, kind of makes us all feel better knowing we're not the only ones going through this! X 

• Posted

Hi Debbie, yes it comes and goes but doesn't seem as intense as before. Generally doing fine - I think if I continue on the same path for another 2-3 months then I will discuss with my doctor about weaning off and see where I'm at then.

• Posted

Hi there. Thanks for replying and glad you are doing a lot better! I was doing really well but still had anxiety in the morning and the shortness of breath. Went to doc last week and without even checking me, said I had emphysema! Not what an anxiety sufferer needs to hear! She wasn't very nice to be honest and now I'm in a mess again!! Got to have some kind of lung function test today to see if I do have emphysema. I do smoke so it would serve me right. X

• Posted

Hi Debbie, im not sure if you are still on this website but im just wondering how you are now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.