Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Posted , 526 users are following.

Hi there,

After much deliberation, talking to just about anyone I could find and generally scouring the internet for information, I have decided to go with the Docs advice and take Citalopram, starting today. And then I found this site....

Has anyone NOT had any side effects on this? It is making me feel very worried about taking it. Am I just going to have to sit tight and presume the worst? Are there people who take it and dont feel nauseous and tired or even worse to begin with?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

M

38 likes, 5315 replies

5315 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, how is everyone doing now? Was doing quite well all week but had a blip this morning and ended up popping a diazepam. Damn annoying. Still not getting a full nights sleep which probably doesn't help!  However, on the whole, am feeling much better, no panics, just that horrid anxiety. It was pretty much gone last week but came back to haunt me this morning.  Just over 3 weeks on 20mg. Probably expecting too much but just want the anxiety to bugger right off ! X

• Posted

I've been on citalopram 3 mths and still haven't had a full nights sleep, it's really frustrating as then everything else feels worse if I haven't slept. Think that's just the way it is now but so pleased to have got rid of the other side effects

• Posted

Can I ask what dose you are on and has it been the same dose for the three months? Do you take citalopram at night or the morning.

I've been on 40mg for 6 weeks now and sleep hasn't been good. I take it in the morning and going to try switching to night to see if that helps...

• Posted

Hi isabel, I had 3 weeks on 10mg and been on 20mg since then. I also take it at night, I tried to switch it to taking it in a morning but it played havoc with my anxiety so quickly reverted back to night time.

My poor sleep has been a constant problem since starting citalopram . I'm now on a small dose of amitriptyline as well to try and help which it has but still wake up 2-3 times a night but at least most of the time I get back to sleep. At its worst I was waking up to 6 times a night and sometimes not sleeping past 3am so I'm just trying to accept it. But oh the terrible crippling anxiety- just so relieved not to have it. How bad is your sleep?

• Posted

I'm with you on that one, as long as all the other side effects go, I can deal with the early morning wake ups!  I do however usually need my 8 hours but would be happy to accept less as long as the anxiety disappears pretty sharpish!!!

• Posted

I'm due to go back to work in the new year and really need to be able to sleep well as I need a lot of concentration at work

• Posted

I'm lucky in that I work at a small business with only 4 of us and we pretty much do what we like. The guys I work with have been fantastic and let me go in and out as and when I want. I hope your work know how you're feeling and maybe let you do as I do for a few weeks if you're still tired. Hopefully, by the new year, sleep will no longer be an issue. I'm not sure if I've said before, but I have been on cit a couple of times before and the sleep improved within weeks both times. It was hard going to work this week as was yawning most of the time but once I got stuck in, I soon forgot how tired I was until I got home x

• Posted

I wake every 1-2 hours. But I have been slowly switching to take cit at night , I've been always takkng it in the morning but been told by people to try at night so I am hoping that helps...

• Posted

It will be interesting to see how you get on. I still take mine in the morning but do still wake early but it is getting better each day. Good luck x
    • Posted

I had a great day Tuesday, as if anxiety was never there and it felt great I felt so normal and so happy. But yesterday I was anxious again but it wasn't too bad and now today I'm back to being really anxioussad just when I think it's getting better. It's 7 weeks for me on 40mg now. I am just so fed up.

How are you? What is your dose and weeks again?

• Posted

Hi Isabel. It would seem 7 weeks is still a little early. You have to give it a little more time. These meds take time to work so you have to be patient even though I know its hard. I am no expert but this is what I gather from reading everyones posts in here. Try going for a walk or some type of exercise. I know thats helps. You will get better. Just takes time. Good luck
    • Posted

Have you felt better at all, apart from Tuesday?  I seem to be getting better and better. However, I now appear to have shortness of breath which, to be honest, is probably the underlying anxiety, even though I don't feel anxious.  I think, because I felt so awful, I can't stop thinking about it which in turn makes things happen which aren't there!! Our minds work is mysterious ways.  

I am 4 weeks in and increased to 20mg after 10 days. 

7 weeks is still early days but I would make an appointment with your doc to check all is ok.  Having been on cit before, but for post natal depression, they kicked in quick but this time it's taken a lot longer. I'm guessing it's the anxiety that's making things harder as I didn't have anxiety last time I was on cit!! I hope that all makes sense!!! X

• Posted

I'm 7 weeks on citalopram and all was going quite well until this past week. Just like you I'm suddenly short of breath every day although I don'y feel the anxiety to the level that I had. Problem is that the breathing issues start to mess with your head which in turn leads to anxiety building. I think I'm going to give it another 2-3 weeks and see where I'm at with it - just got to keep moving forwards!

• Posted

Damn annoying isn't it? Somehow we've got to get it into our heads that we are ok. I know my lungs and heart are ok as I've had tests etc so it must be in my head.  I do have silent reflux and apparently you can get shortness of breath with that. I think you're right, will see how it goes for a few weeks. other than that, I'm starting to feel like myself but the shortness of breath is making me grouchy! X

• Posted

Yes I saw my doc last week and we decided to wait a few more weeks to see and I see her Jan 26.

Cit worked so well for me before when I was at 20mg I felt better than ever but then I got horrible Anxiety again that was lasting over a month and my doc Increased me to 30 and then 40mg. So hopefully it levels out since I know it worked for me before.

I've had good days and then bad. It's because I focus so much on the anxiety and always checking if it's there so I know I'm causing it. It's hard though. Since having been through all this before this time I am more aware and afraid I won't ever feel better. But I know I can get through this i did before. I'm also on a wait list for CBT coz I know I can't just rely on the meds

• Posted

Good idea. I should force myself to take a walk every day or do some exercise. I was so good before and would exercise every single day but then this hit bad agajn and I stopped. But the last while been trying to get some exercise in when I feel like I can. I know I need to be patient and try and push myself more to do more things and show myself that life isn't a big scary place. Just hard sometimes

How are you? What is your dose and weeks again?

• Posted

Hi Isabel. I'm doing pretty good, thanks. I'm presently on 25 mg's and reducing. Hoping to get off Cit in the coming months. We'll see how it goes. I have been reducing by 2.5mg's every 2 weeks hoping I dont get side effects. Sonfar so good!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.