Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Posted , 526 users are following.

Hi there,

After much deliberation, talking to just about anyone I could find and generally scouring the internet for information, I have decided to go with the Docs advice and take Citalopram, starting today. And then I found this site....

Has anyone NOT had any side effects on this? It is making me feel very worried about taking it. Am I just going to have to sit tight and presume the worst? Are there people who take it and dont feel nauseous and tired or even worse to begin with?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

M

38 likes, 5315 replies

5315 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey everyone , I'm looking for some reassurance if anyone could help or is possibly in the same situation as me. I have been taking cit 10mg for a little under a year now. Started taking for anxiety, and it has helped me SO much since when I first started. But I still feel like I'm not myself anymore. I still get some anxiety but not near as much. Which I'm thankful for! But I'm SO tired all the time I mean I could literally sleep ALL day everyday for the rest of my life! I take this medication every night at 730 pm and I have noticed that EVERY night around 530 600 I get so depressed! For no reason I just get horribly sad. I can't explain this . But after I take my meds I'm fine and then go to bed. So I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone felt so tired like they just could not do anything? I mean it's literally a pain just to go to work or take my children to the park just for me to do anything ! It's really getting to me. Or should I possibly talk to my doctor about upping me to 20mg?? I'm so scared of medicine it took me so long just to get the nerve to take this! I mean I don't know what to do

• Posted

Hi Crystal! My name is Jonny and I take the same medication as you. I'm on my 10th week, and I am experiencing the same thing as you. I'm always tired, I do not have the anxiety I had before the meds. I do have some episodes, but they are mild enough to wait it out. I'm always tired, especially when I leave the house. I just can't get past the next step, I already lost my job, my girlfriend, and other things as well. I was very reluctant to take the medication like you. But I made it this far, I just fell like it plateaued. I'm stuck on a level that isn't bad and isn't good either. I just want to live the way I did before all this hit me. I wasn't afraid to drive, go to restaurants or go shopping. I don't do anything anymore, but stay home mostly. I'm thinking I might need a higher dose, but would really like to stay where I'm at and get over this obstacle. My life pretty much sucks right now! I'm stuck in park, and can't find my way forward. Every time I try to do something I haven't done in a while I get symptoms of anxiety. You aren't alone, maybe we could help each other? Have a blessed day!

Jonny

• Posted

My mum has recently started on citalopram (a week ago) so far much better than metazapine, which increased her anxiety. 

Side effects shes getting are palpitations & hot flushes / sweating. Has anyone else had this? &I if so how long did it last? 

Thank you. 

• Posted

Hi Fran. Yes I started 3 weeks ago and had both hot flushes and heart palpitations. The hot flushes have now gone but I do sometimes still get heart palpitations, shortness of breath and the anxiety still in the morning. However, the anxiety is not so bad now, getting better.  I sometimes think that I'm causing my own problems to be honest but try and reassure your mum that it does get better x

• Posted

Hi Fran. Yes I had all of those symptoms and I'm just over 3 weeks. The hot flushes and sweating has gone but I sometimes still get the heart palpitations. I sometimes wonder whether I'm bringing these symptoms on myself with my anxiety!! Try and reassure your mum that it is normal and will get better x

• Posted

Thanks Debbie. I've told her it's common & will get less in a while. I think the palpitations were causing her to panic a bit. X 

• Posted

when you feel like we all do, any stupid little ailment sends our minds off in all directions. Crazy stuff. I never thought in a million years that I would suffer from anxiety but one silly chest x ray worriedme so much that I just couldn't stop feeling anxious, even when it came back ok! I've said before, feel such an idiot,and I know I'm being irrational, but can't seem to help it.  

Our minds can play some weird tricks sometimes !! X

• Posted

I have been on Citalopram for about 5 years and at first I was fine.  Then about 9 months ago started to get all sorts of side effects and when I checked on line these were all mentioned.  Nausea, dizzy. no appetite.  The worse ones are the nausea and dizzy.  Am now trying to come off but apparently it is going to take sveral months.  The side effects are worse than the anxiety I was taking them for. Good luck.  Hope you are OK taking them. X
    • Posted

hi Gloria. Wow, that's a strange one to get those side effects all that time later. Not good! Perhaps it would be best to try an increase or another ssri, if you feel you still need them.  I came off of them after pnd a few years ago. It took about 3 weeks for the dizzy head to go, but that was the only withdrawal symptom I had. Whatever you decide to do, good luck x

• Posted

Hey Jonny yes it has effected my everyday life! It started 2 years ago and I have never been the same since. If I didn't have the husband I have now I don't know what I'd do. I'm so sorry it's drown you to lose things and people you love! This disease sucks! I just left my doctors office and for the first time in my life I'm being told I need to see a psychiatrist. That my problems are more then just health now. So they did end up upping me to 20mg and I'm petrified!!!! I don't know what to think ! She actually told me to take 20mg for a week then go straight to 40mg!!! I absolutely can't do that it gave me anxiety just thinking about it!!!

So I'm going to do as she says and take the 20mg and just wait for the psychiatrist to call and set up an app then. My life just has been a roller coaster and I can't take it anymore I'm will to suffer and wait for it to get better.

Now I can certainly remember when I first started the cit 10mg almost a year ago now and I did have bad side effects but they were better then haven daily anxiety and worry and jitters and heart palpitations and all that!

I think you should maybe try the 20mg because by about the 7 week I was doin pretty okay till now! Except the tiredness that has never went away!!! And I have absolutely no memory anymore it's horrible!

• Posted

Is it weird I haven't had any side effects? I've been taking cit for almost a month and haven't felt any change at all... I wonder if I need the mg upped as in only on 10mg. My doctor said I have depression/anxiety but I think 10mg is too little to be on? Anyone had experience with not feeling anything and how did they go about getting the mg upped?

• Posted

Hi. Well I guess you are very lucky!!!  Do you actually feel better in yourself? If not then probably a higher dose will help. And another guess but you probably won't get any side effects from the increase. I got side effects immediately on 10mg and then again when I increased to 20.  However, I have been on cit before, about 6 years ago and did not have any side effects then! This time it was a bit of a shock to the system!, x

• Posted

Hi everyone. Hope you've all had a great Christmas.

Right here goes... I've had a pretty good few days, yesterday being fantastic. This morning I was fine, took my cit and then had a nap at lunchtime.  Woke up to a hot flush and a bit of panic/anxiety. I've just realised that I have a different brand of citilopram. The first lot was made by Bristol and this lot are from Medreich.  Now this could all be in my head but does anyone know if a different brand can cause issues or am I just having a stupid blip?! I've had heart palpitations since lunchtime and am questioning whether it's me or the tablets.  What a journey this is!!!  I still have a tight chest but think this is caused by silent reflux, another annoying illness! Any ideas anyone? Xx

• Posted

Hi everyone. Just posted but doesn't appear to have worked so will try again!

i have had a great week on cit, week 4, and yesterday was fab, even managed breakfast and ate all day long! Woke this morning, took my cit and by lunchtime, needed a nap.  When I woke from the nap, I had a hot flush and mild panic/anxiety.  I then discovered that I have a different brand of citilopram, the first being made by Bristol, this lot being made by Medreich. I started the new pack this morning.  Still feeling a bit crappy now. I'm wondering whether this is all in my head or whether the brand change is affecting me! Stupid illness!!  I guess I'm just after some reassurance that it's me and not the meds!! Anyone have any ideas? X

• Posted

Hi lovely.

I have heard this can happen, but 4 weeks is still really early on so there is a very high chance you are just having an off day.

Just roll with the bad, eventually they will be non existent x x

• Posted

Hi Debbie glad you're feeling a better t better. As far as I'm aware all medications are manufactured exactly the same way irrespective of the brand. This is in law so that drs know exactly what their patients are taking & so they can take into consideration other meds & combinations etc. 

The manufacturers cannot "mess" with the recipe. 

• Posted

Hi, thsnk you for replying. Am feeling a lot better now, I guess just a sleepy blip!!  Be glad to get back to normal, whatever that is!! X
    • Posted

Hi. I think you must be right, after all, like you say, drs couldn't prescribe a certain med if they were all different! Should have thought of that! I did google it and lots of people have said they felt different on a new brand but I'm thinking it's just what I call my silly head moment!! X

• Posted

My mum is the same. She's only been on it 2 weeks & I'm waiting (hoping) for it to work for her. She does over think things right now, but sitting & thinking is almost her enemy. Bad thoughts get stuck in her head. 

She had a stroke 6 months ago & the way she managed her anxiety & depression before (working & pottering, cooking & cleaning etc) she can't do now because she's lost her mobility. 

Im hoping by being positive I can help her through this, just to be there for her, I hope it will help. She's so frustrated/ scared & anxious, & doesn't sleep very well . I'm hoping the cit will help her as it seems to help lots of people. 

Hope you have a good day tomorrow xx 

• Posted

Aww bless her. It will work for her, it just needs time. My mum's partner also had a stroke in September and I sometimes wonder whether that was the start of my anxiety as was worried for him as they were in Turkey at the time. He then had to have an operation when he returned home. However, he is fine, apart from two fingers which have no grip so he was very lucky I guess.

Hopefully, with the cit starting to work, she will also regain some mobility over time too. Obviously I don't know your mums situation but I do hope she feels better soon. At least she has you by her side xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.