Anyone on flecanide for AFib

Posted , 12 users are following.

Thinking about trying flecanide and I am curious if  anyone has tried it etc . I’m a very fit 52 y.o and wants to continue exercising at least 5 x a week weights and cardio. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have been on Flecinide and Diltiazem for 3 weeks. No Afib episodes but one of them, did me in. Felt dizzy, nautious, weak, no energy, couldn't stay up long enough to take a whole shower had to get out and lay down. Prescription for Diltiazem cut in half and I am better but far from normal. I'm thinking it could be the Flecinide. I was on Propafanone (sp) with no side effects but after a few months had 2 episodes back to back. I think due to stress, but prescription change was supposed to be "stronger" so no Afib incidents would happen. For me it's too soon to tell. Not helpful I'm sure because it's to tell. Everyone is different though, I know lots of folks are doing well on it. I wish you well and the best of luck whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Ive been on Flecanide for 18 months now.Initially felt really tired and lethargic but am OK now most of the time.I believe my tiredness is due to also being on Bisoprolol. I get to the gym up to 3 times a week for weights and cardio and cycle regularly without any problems as long as I dont overdue it .I know lots of people on Flecanide and generally they are not suffering from any side effects. Everyone is different but certainly worth a try.

• Posted

Is flecanide the rhythm  control drug that requires a 3 day hospital stay to start? My EP has mentioned this as a possible option as I am on my second episode of going out of rhythm since my electro conversion in January. Hoping to naturally convert but it’s been 3 days since going out of rhythm and the first time took only a day or 2. How long can one wait before doing something? I am on Pradaxa.

I am concerned about the side effects and would like to hear from others before going with it and interested in any options. For whatever reason, my EP says I am not a candidate for ablation at this point in my aFib journey.

Regards,

Patrick

• Posted

been on Flecainide for over 12 years and been perfectly fine with it, I was but on 100mg twice a day and yes I did have side effects, with my vision flashing lights, bit that was when I was very unwell in hospital, I am now on 50 mg a day smile
    • Posted

No Edit button to correct spelling ??
    • Posted

So you take a daily dose? I thought Flecainide was the “pill in the pocket” therapy that was taken only when palpitations recur? 

Regards,

Patrick

• Posted

I've been on flecainide for years .  Never really felt it stopped the AF episodes, they still can last 12 hours or more.  Have had 2 ablations and have still had episodes of AF so now trying Flec as a pill in the pocket, 2 x 100 when irregular beat starts.  AF still lasts many hours!

• Posted

yes Patrick.. I take a daily dose of 50mg I am Afib free now I've had 3 ablations, I had them all in the space of 12 weeks I was very ill in hospital in and out nearly every week my last Afib attack lasted 11 days, and on that day I was on my hospital bed I coughed and my heart returned back to sinus rhythm, that was over 2 years ago smile

• Posted

Is that 50 mg your on 2 x a day or once a day? The reason I ask is that a couple of months ago I had 2 Afib episodes that landed me in hospital, I was taken off Propafenone and put on Flecainide 2 x 100 every day, going into my 3rd month. No Afib episodes, but side effects of blury vision, weakness and occasionally get what I call the "shakes" where I can't even sign my name. I have appt tomorrow going to see if a change in meds can be made.

• Posted

yes Eskel I take one 50mg in the morning per day, I was on 100mg twice a day I got flashes of different colours in my eyes at night, I would ask for a lower dose and see how you go
    • Posted

Thank you Steven. My Flecainide dosage was cut in half as of today. Now taking one 50mg twice a day. Hoping this helps my issue with blured vision. I know that's twice as much as your on. When your dosage was reduced from 100mg 2 x a day, do you remember how long it took you to get rid of the side effect you experienced with vision problems?

Eskel

• Posted

hello Eskel

I only take 50mg one a day now, my vision was fine as soon as I stopped 100mg, but to tell you the truth I do have blurred vision and I've never but it down to Flecainide, I thought it was just my eye siggt, so maybe it is the Flecainide I will have to ask my doctor nextime I see him, hopefully you vision will improve quickly now you have halfed you dosage smile

• Posted

Thank you Steven. I had perfect vision after cataract surgery in 2017. Flecainide has "vision problems" listed as a common side effect, none of the other drugs I take do. I wish you well and the best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.