Anyone on flecanide for AFib

Posted , 12 users are following.

Thinking about trying flecanide and I am curious if  anyone has tried it etc . I’m a very fit 52 y.o and wants to continue exercising at least 5 x a week weights and cardio. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

According to my cardio dr., flecanide can be fatal if there is coronary artery disease present. He said there is no warning, and you can drop dead. He refused to give it to me when I requested it in lieu of amiodarone. I'm also active my only afib problem is when I exercise.

Fred

• Posted

Are you seeing an EP? Most do extensive cardiac testing before allowing Flecainide. Mine did. And read the long term effects of amoidarone...many EP’s avoid it if at all possible. It works but can have devastating long term effects. None of these drugs are benign.
    • Posted

By EP I assume you mean electrophysiologist? Both my cardio and electro are on board with amiodarone. I have read the warnings and am paralyzed in the decision-making process. 
  • Posted

I took flecainide from Nivember til early January along with metropolol, and was totally wiped out all the time. And could not tolerate the metoprolol as I am brady-tachy...meaning I run very low (bradycardia) when not in afib or aflutter, but run very high when I am in afib or aflutter. Went to PIP ( pill in the pocket) and ened up in aflutter for 11 days🤪! I was converted with Tikosyn in the hospital and have been pretty good since. We are all different in this crazy condition, so don’t give up and don’t settle for someone else’s solution, even your doctor. Only you know what you are experiencing.  I do love my Kardia gadget however. The solid record means I know what is happening to me...and the doc sees that record as well...no doubts.  

Good luck, and let us know how you progress.

• Posted

Jim Ive been on flecainide  + Diltaziaem last 10-11 months for afib, I excercise about 5 times a week, I've experienced no side effects at all, just kept the afib under control. I'm on 50mg twice a day

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for posting, I was on 100mg twice a day, but had blury vision problems, just cut back to 50 mg twice a day and hope to join you in the no side effects group.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.