Anyone on HRT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Im on progesterone pills Utrogestan 100mg Capsules. Only been on them since December, wondering if anyone is on them and had side effects?

Past 3 weeks have awful dull squeezing pain at bottom of sternum slightly to the right under the rib that goes into the back. Its like someone has put a tennis ball there - painkillers dont help.

Could the progesterone have affected my stomach?

thanks

Kelly

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Just seen the HRT discussion! will repost!

• Posted

i see you are reposting question. but make sure your heart is doing ok sometimes heart problems can cause weird feelings even nausea . it isnt always typical symptoms and warning signs of a heart attack, especially in women. Hormones can cause certain things in some and not in other people. u really should tell a doctor asap . Good luck its probably nothing but its always better to get any new symptoms checked out especially when starting new medications or treatment.s.

• Posted

can heart problems come on suddenly? i had big surgery in October and they had to test my heart to make sure ibwas fit enough- had an ECG. could it have deteriorated since then?

in going to go back to the doctor tomorrow. he sent for an abdominal ultrasound due to uti, but thats gone.

• Posted

Hi there,

I took this caps for a few months and although i haven't had side effects such as yours i did feel dreadful on them, so much so I had to stop taking them.

I felt exhausted and nauseous plus very down in myself...

Not sure if your issue is related to the caps or not as if you've been taking it since December with no issues then could be a totally separate problem?

Could be a number of things - gastrointestinal, muscular, sternum pain can even be acid reflux related... but if it isn't improving then go have a chat with your doc... put your mind at rest.

xx

• Posted

Hiya,

if im honest ive not really felt great the past few months but put it down to the surgery 🤷. drained, bit dizzy, lack of sex drive. i went on these as they were recommended as closest to natural estrogen and progesterone but i dont know! x

• Posted

Yes, that's why my doctor gave them to me as they're supposed to be bio-identical and i seem to be progestrone intolerant... I do remember feeling dizzy on them too... just awful!

I'm now using the utrogestan pessaries for 10 days each month, i'm on my third month in and ok so far but we'll see. It's all so trial and error.

😦

xx

• Posted

oh im going to ask about pessaries, im in for a check up mid August! the tiredness i feel is mad too! i feel like i just can't be bothered to do anything! x

• Posted

Yes, must admit too that i felt absolutely zombified on them... of all the progesterone I have tried these caps defo made me feel the worst. I literally felt so tired that it made me feel sick... I stuck it out for 3 months but had to stop them at day 11 each time as just couldn't get to day 14 on them as i felt like death!

I was worried the pessaries may may me feel the same but so far it seems ok... and it's only 10 days each month, not 14. Again, I'll see how i go but this HRT malarkey doesn't make me feel great like it did for my mum when she was using it - I feel a bit disappointed as i wanted to feel like Wonder Woman!! Sadly not!

Hope you get the pain issue sorted though, ask about pessaries ans see what they say? xx

• Posted

Hi Kelley,

That almost sounds like a gallbladder issue. An ultrasound should be able to confirm or rule that out pretty quickly. I am on biohrt (75 mg progesterone orally) and bi-est estriol/estradiol cream. I do know that progesterone can give someone women acid reflux (which it does to me). This is an unfortunate side effect that I am doing my best to deal with as I do feel my other symptoms have improved while being on the bio hrt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Posted

i agree it does sound like gallbladder, when i said it to my surgeon, he laughed said you dont have one! but i have read stories of people having problems after the surgery. 🤷

im nervous because 7 years ago i had abdominal pains that like now they didnt really take seriously and i ended up 3 times in a and e and eventually surgery to remove rare tumour 🙄. so im thinking worst case i think! x

• Posted

Hey Kelly, do you still have your gallbladder? An awful lot of women describe the same exact pain on here and I don’t think any of them are on the progesterone. The pain you’re describing is the pain I had when I had gallbladder issues. Not diagnosing, only suggesting. But for some reason PERI/Menopause ties into sternum/rib pain. do you wear an underwire bra? Costochondritis, a condition that is very common at this time, could be the culprit. If you’re wearing underwear bras, try to stop wearing them, as they really cause issues during this time in life. My doctor told me in 2007 I had costochondritis. Ive had rib pain issues ever since.

• Posted

hi lisa, no i dont have a gallbladder, and i dont wear under wire bras 😢🤷. im at a loss to the pain. im going to try my doctor again todsy. x

• Posted

Morning Kelly, I was reading some of the posts last night. I’m very sorry to hear that you had to have a serious surgery. I feel like there was a post I missed tho, or maybe you said one was waiting to be moderated. And then you had mentioned those familiar symptoms and something about a previous tumor was it? I am terribly sorry you’re going through this pain and having this fear & worry. I hope you get ahold of your doctor today & that he can fit you in immediately. I will be sending you positive thoughts;) God Bless !

• Posted

Hi lisa,

yeah basically 6 years ago i had more severe pain lower down that everyone said was in my head, but 4 time in a and e it turned out to be a rare tumor if the appendix, like 2 in a a million! the then thought it had come back (regular cts) so in october i had an operation called HIPEC. where they removed my gallbladder, ovaries, and omentum and i had chemo in there! thats why im on hrt.

my mum has just been diagnosed with lung cancer and my dad heart disease so i think im worrying more because of it. (if that sounded self pittying it wasnt meant to😂 as i know there are many worse off!)

i just wantbto get the bottom of the pain as its stopping me enjoying things, especially as its summer holidays now!

anyway the doctor gave me meds for stomach ulcer- will see how it goes! xx

• Posted

Oh Kelly, You are NOT sounding self-pitiful whatsoever!!! You are really going through it. I’m very sorry. That is so traumatic to the body, all that surgery, but especially having the ovaries taken, which makes the hormones, I’m super sorry. I am seriously going to keep you in my prayers;) Is your mothers lung cancer far along? Im so sorry for mums diagnosos. My father had lung cancer as well. Can your dad‘s heart disease be worked out with meds/exercise? Or is it congestice heart failure? Please contact me anytime. that’s really a shame they can’t get your pain managed. have we discussed before that when estrogen is depleted, it’s a natural pain fighter, the pain really comes in. I hope you’ve got a really good doctor for the HRT. always go with your gut instinct and ask whatever questions you need. keep me posted with all this and keep me posted on your parents. and yes, summer holiday and not feeling well, to say the least, it’s a real bummer. Peaks and valleys… Things will look up… Keep the faith..Hugs Hugs Hugs & Prayers to you, Mum & Pops (dad) XX

• Posted

hi lisa,

my mums is stage 4 and incurable, but they are trying to manage it with immunotherapy. we find out next month her prognosis. my dad is waiting fir a heart bypass surgery, but hes waiting to see about my mum( he won't have it if shes told shes not long).

i have an ultrasound wed so hoping they can sort out why I'm getting pain. I've been reading a lot about people in pain after gallbladder removal, bit they don't seem to take us seriously! i feel like showing them the threads on here 😂. x

• Posted

Morning Kelly, I am so sorry about your mom, I hope that therapy works and helps greatly. How do you feel about your dad‘s decision? Boy this is really, when it rains it pours, times 10. That is so very annoying when doctors do not take people seriously, it’s actually disgusting and embarrassing. Before you had that major surgery, did you have … No pun intended… A gut feeling that something much more serious was wrong? I’m sure you did. I have heard that about the gallbladder as well. I was terrified I was going to be in that percentage after I had mine removed. Knock wood ...thank God I wasn’t. But I’m very very sorry you are still having issues. You know what it reminds me of, in real life, when you see someone that’s been accused of a crime they didn’t commit and have been in prison for years. But the judicial system doesn’t want to do anything about it because they don’t want to admit to fault or wrongdoing. It’s like doctors, they not only don’t wanna admit their wrong doings, but they don’t want to admit that there are issues for many people after a gallbladder is removed. I think that’s because they don’t know what the hell to do, no surprise there, right. You should print out a bunch of the posts from this thread and bring them in and show the doctor. It’s actually embarrassing, because, collectively, we actually know more then the doctors;) I can’t remember who said this on this forum, but she said that her doctor actually told her that they are not taught about perimenopause or Menopause in Medical school. if this was a disorder of the penis, you can bet that they would have a cure for it ...lol I hope they find what’s bothering you in the ultrasound. Please keep me posted, I’m sending you all positive thoughts. xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.