anyone on lansoprazole for reflux?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went to my Dr cos I've been having acid heartburn for the last month or so. My anxiety was high before peri but is ridiculous now and I got really worried cos of all the press coverage about cancer if you have heartburn for 3 weeks or more. My gp has ordered heart tests to rule out anything cardiac and given me lansoprazole to try and didn't seem in the least bothered about how long id had heartburn! Has anyone tried these tablets, I'm a bit scared to take them incase they mask something nasty and the side effects seem quite bad. If anyone can help cos I'm really worried. Thank you. X

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The best thing to do to find out if it id reflux is to have an endoscopy done.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa. I saw this yesterday but haven't had chance to respond till now, sorry. I'm 48 and in peri. My doc tells me indigestion is common in peri because hormones are present in the gut area so as our hormone levels fall, our digestive system is thrown into chaos. Or something like that. Anyway, I've been taking lanzoprazole for about 6 months, with no side effects, after having terrible heartburn for a few months. Stomach acid damages the lining of the oesophagus, which can then turn cancerous, so it's important to keep taking them if you can. I take mine on an as and when needed basis, rather than every day, although I have heartburn so frequently, I need to take them very often.

Years ago, after suffering with heartburn, I was diagnosed with something called heliobacterpylori, which was treated with antibiotics. With this latest round of heartburn, I had an endoscopy and was tested again for h-pylori which turned out to be negative, but yes, heartburn can be a symptom of something else. If I recall, the first h-pylori test I had was just a blood test. Perhaps mention this to your doctor, or see a different doctor at your surgery, if there is one?

Hope you are feeling less worried x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.