Anyone skip periods and then start again going through this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm just curious if anyone going through this has skipped periods then start, then skipped then start. I thought this was part of peri but maybe not?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't have a period for nearly a year then got one at Xmas and now just had another. My emotions are all over the place but the best thing I'm finding to get me through this phase is exercise.

It's such a hard time for us ladies who are experiencing different problems

• Posted

Did you ever skip a month or two then have a period or did you just go strait all those months and then have one?
    • Posted

Didn't have a period for 11 & half months. Just when I thought I'd finally got through it bam I got one on Boxing Day 😒. Also 2 months prior I received a letter from Drs saying I was post menopausal!
    • Posted

I would have a few regular months and then skip a few. Then have one or two or even more and then skip some months. So erratic and unpredictable. Eventually they stopped. But I remember skipping 6 months and then starting again.
    • Posted

I was post meno for more than 2 years and then had one!
    • Posted

You didn't have a period for 2 years and then had a normal period????
  • Posted

It's absolutely part of peri! And can go on for a couple of years. I was told to call the doctor if I missed 3 in a row. Then I would take progesterone to make me start. When that quit working and I had gone a full year without a period, I was considered in meno. So if you miss as few, just let the doctor know to see if you need to do anything.
    • Posted

Well starting with 2014, Dec was the first time I had skipped a period then Jan 2015 I skipped...so there's two months in a row. Then I didn't skip another period until July 2015 and August 2015 and Sept. 2015 then I had a period in Oct. And Nov. Then Dec and January-No period, then I had a period in Feb. 2016....does this sound normal Peri?
    • Posted

Yes! Definitely normal peri. Can go on for years. But if you can, it's a good idea to make sure the doctor doesn't want you to call when you miss 3 in a row.
    • Posted

Why do they want you to call if you skip 3 in a row? I have only done the 3 month skip a couple of times. I just never thought to mention that. It's been in twos lately.
    • Posted

I'm no doctor. But your uterin lining builds up and then hormones cause that lining to shed. That's your period. So my doctor didn't want that lining to keep building up without shedding. So she had me take hormones to get that out. If you have a period then no need. Your body did it on it's own. But eventually the hormones didn't cause me to have a period because theblining didn't build up. I was done and in menopause. When you're in meno, you don't produce the hormones that cause the buildup and shedding. Does that make sense?
    • Posted

I'm not sure. Wouldn't the doctor be concerned if someone went 6 months without a period and then had one? I mean, if you went 6 months let's say and then you had a period the 7th month but then skipped two after that period....when you have a period, in a Dr's mind, would they think okay she went 6 months with no period but with the next period, feels that she shed 6 months worth, if that makes sense. I'm not asking this right, I'm sorry.
    • Posted

I guess I'm trying to find out, how do they know once you've gone 12 months with no period that everything that's needed to be shed has actually all shed? I had a pap/HPV test in Nov. and all came back normal if that says anything...
    • Posted

No. No concern at all. Your hormones are fluctuating like crazy. And the hormones are driving all that's happening. So it's normal for you to skip and then start again. Even if it's for a long time of no period and then have a few. During menopause, your body stops producing those hormones, estrogen and progesterone. So your hormones are fluctuating getting ready to eventually stop producing at all. I may not be able to explain this well to you but I promise that it is completely normal.
    • Posted

Well, that's why I took the progesterone when I skipped 3 periods. That made me start because it's that hormone that causes you to she'd the lining. So when I took 2 rounds of that and still had no period and still hadn't had one after 12 months, she knew I was done. Which is why I said you need to ask the doctor about it. So you can get the progesterone if that's why he or she thinks you should do.
    • Posted

Ok, I thought you were saying that maybe the uterine lining was getting too thick on those skipped months and that was a concern and I was thinking how it would it not be a concern then if you go 12 months without a periodand then have a period? Ugh...I know what I want to say but just can't make it come out making any sense!😛
    • Posted

When you have a period, you have shed it all. Don't worry. Call then doctor if you skip a few and ask what to do. You're right, you would want to be sure you she'd that lining which is why I took progesterone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.