Anyone take xanax and Citlopram?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking xanax for anxiety for a year now at first PRN and then .025 mg twice a day and for

the past 2 weeks i have taken 1 mg split up 4 times a day every 4 hours and it has stabilized me.

Finally. Dr wanted me on Cit 2 months ago i took one 20 mg pill at 1pm and then a 0.5 mg xanax at 10pm and got hot feeling threw my chest and was nauseated in bed for a week dr said it had nothing to do with the meds? So here I am again dr wanted me to to try again i got the guts finally today to

take my first 10 mg cit I also have been taking my regular dose xanax,I am scared to death of the

side effects of cit. Any info any help anything would be great i took it this am at 1045am and have felt fine a bit of energy for some reason but i am getting a little off feeling now so anyway would love to

hear anybodys stories and thoughts thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

lyn19944 just wondering how you are making out? hope your doing well i just wish i could find one thing that will not make me sick so i could feel better. Taking xanax 1 mg a day for 3 weeks and know i am starting to taper off it and feel like crap. again hope your doing better then me lol
  • Posted

Hi Marley ,I'm doing ok thanx , had a few blips but nothing major, no sickness or feeling crap . I do sympathise with you cos I felt the same about wether or not to start taking it . I juggled the idea about for a month ,thinking in want to do this without going back on meds ( which I came off last year ) . I had xmas looming ahead , I fell and broke my arm , my dog had to have a steel plate put in his little leg ,my partner is due to go in hospital for surgery and other stuff as well as needing to get a job . Yes what a whole lot of stress , In the end I had to bite the bullet and go for it !!! Glad I did , because I know when I've got my life back on track and things settle down I can when myself off them . I m sorry that I can't advise about the zanex I don't know about it or what it is . What I do know is that you need to believe in what your doing . When you tell yourself " this is going to make me feel better " it will , because the biggest and most powerful thing is your head , if it says your going to panic you will panic, likewise if you convince your head your strong and the tablets are working ,then they will work . Try some self hypnotherapy on your iPhone/iPad , it helped me through my bad days . Hope any of this works for you xx stay strong
  • Posted

Lyn19944 i had to give in and give the Cit a go again. Still scared of the side effects ect. I started at 5 mg and have been on that for 7 days,Dr wanted me to start at 10 and go to 20 but I have read that 5 or even 10 can work for some people so here I am ;(. I am still taking 1 mg xanax a day until the Cit kicks in and then I will taper that IF i make it through this start up stuff. I have only had slight head aches slight nausea. Have been taking them in the am around 730. I hope you are well on your way to feeling better by now. Let me know
  • Posted

I never tried Citalopram, but it should be a very good drug.

At least 3 psychiatrists told me that is the cleanest drug on the receptor (and this is of course positive).

Differently, from my experience, Xanax is a VERY BAD drug to be used in psychiatry !!!!

That is why a lot of doctors prefer to prescribe Clonazepam (i.e. Rivotril or Klonopin) instead of Xanax.

The reason is mainly its half life. They think it is NOT GOOD that a drug has such a short half life (i.e. it goes away very fast from the blood, the brain has no time to adapt to the dosage variation, and one feels a lot of collateral effects and an enhanced addiction).

My sincere best wishes

• Posted

I started Citalopram 20 mg 9 days ago.. The side effects have been terrible, almost unbearable.  I experienced all types of physical pains, strange and endless thoughts, sleepless nights... My GP put me on 10 mg after a few days he told me to go back on 20 mg.  I am taking the med early in the morning... I also take some Xanax when I feel too anxious.  The side effects have stopped, my hours of sleep have been longer for the 2 last nights. I am lucky to be married to a physician and have my daughter (who has been taking Cita for 2 years) who are encouraging me.  It truly takes several weeks to see any positive effects of the med.  patience is the clue.  I am going to see a psychologist starting next week.  Don't give up. It is tough but it is helpful.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.