Anyone taken Paxil for depression...experience?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been on it 3 weeks sad

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I took paxil for several years. It took about seven to eight weeks to fully work for me. I LOVED it! It was truly a great medicine for me..... So sad though because after about twelve years, it stopped working for me. Probably because I went on and off of it. Hang in there with it. You will be glad you did! Wish I could still be on it. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. I was just curious about it because I've read it is horrible to come off of. I have severe depression right now from two miscarriages. I would like to try again in the future but can't on Paxil of course. I was feeling better the first two weeks and the last week it feels like I'm back to the beginning again. Was there ups and downs for a while. How will I know if it's working?
    • Posted

OK, here's the thing about paxil..... First..... Of course every one does have different experiences starting out so I can't tell you exactly how you will feel initially but, I can tell you that you will feel much better within a few weeks. Also, I can tell you how it happened with me...... When I was on it, I felt worse. Much worse but, I was told to hang in there so, I did....I was told that I would gradually feel better but, for me it was like a light switch. In between my sixth to seventh week, I just woke up feeling great.... A new person. My old happy self..... I was so happy that I took took the advice and stayed with it. So in summary, it can be gradual or immediate for you but, either way, when it kicks in, you will feel so much better.... Hang in there and I am always here for support. Take care and good luck to you.
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I just was curious since I felt better then now up and down rolleyes
    • Posted

Yes, I vividly remember how I felt when starting it. I really thought that it would never work and that it wasn't the med for me. But, it does work. Also, I did read something that said if you feel worse or up and down, that it will be a good med for you because you can feel your body adjusting to it. The side effects are basically signs that it is going to work for you. I really hope this helps make you feel better.
    • Posted

I just recently just noticed dry mouth, a slight tension in my jaws I guess from clenching. It makes me extremely sleepy so I take it right before bed.
    • Posted

Made me tired as well. It does go away as you adjust to the meds. I'm actually excited for you because I know how much it is going to help you and pull you out of that dark place.
    • Posted

At first I had panic attacks, paranoia and anxiety. It was scary and miserable. I know how you're feeling. But, I promise it will pass!
    • Posted

Thanks so much! I've been praying for that. I can't stand this place I'm in and miss being myself! I hope that your doing well, also!
    • Posted

I haven't had panic attacks as bad as when I tried Celexa. I do some days have increased anxiety mostly in the morning when I wake and before I go to sleep. I also have vivid dreams. I've just been paranoid that the meds aren't working since sometimes I'll feel happy but then then a few hours sad.
    • Posted

That is very common when going on meds. In fact, most ssri's have those type of side effects.I know it's hard when you're going through it. All you want is to feel better. Thoughts that the med won't work and it seems like it's taking forever. Worst feeling ever. When I went through it, I remember thinking that I would rather have a physical injury than go through all the emotional pain. But, happy days are coming for you. Just wait and seesmile
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I guess I just hate anything that messes with my head. Just worried it will make me worse or do something that's not like me! Hopefully happy days ahead! The only part that worries me is the coming off process in the future. The Prozac was super easy but they said it has a long half-life.
    • Posted

It's not that bad coming off of it as long as you ween off. Like I said, I will always be here to help you through this as I know what it's like. By the way..... If you send a text and I don't reply..... Don't worry... It just means that I'm probably doing something but, I will ALWAYS get back to you. I can't hardly wait for it to start workingfor you because you will feel like it was all worth it in the endsmile
    • Posted

I'm kinda scared to continue it after reading the comments of coming off of it sad everyone wrote it was worse than the depression and I don't think I would make it through that.
    • Posted

I know this is an old post but I've been on Paroxetine for just over 8 weeks now. Please tell me it gets better? Currently feeling worse at this moment in time but I was beginning to think I was improving. Is this still early days?!
    • Posted

I've been on 30mg for 2 months now and have been up and down. Last few days I gave had severe depression, anxiety and a foggy head. Did you have this before it got better? I was on 20mg for a year and a half and had none of this. After bad advice from the docs telling me to cut my pills in half and miss days this made me very ill mentally. That was September last year and I'm still affected now. Is this still early days being 2 months on a higher dose?!
    • Posted

Hi sophie07763,

I'm in the same case of you, 2 months now, and have severe depression, anxiety and derealization with Paxil, any news about your evolution.

Thanks a lot

• Posted

Hi, I was very encouraged by your posts. I have taken prozac in the past and was recently put on Paxil. I started off slow at 5mg for 2 wks, then 10, and 20mg 2 weeks ago. She just upped it to 30mg 4 days ago and I feel like bad. Depression, and Anxiety is high. Is this normal when upping the doses? And starting paxil?
    • Posted

hi i had two miscarriages. Was perscribe three days ago. should u continue taking.
    • Posted

Hi Ambrose, sorry to bother you I am new to this site, and would love a bit of reassurance if you don't mind. I have been on Paxil for 3 wks just over and my anxiety is very high still feel sick and a dry tongue!!! Would you say that this is normal? I just so want to feel better!!!! I am on 20mg I thought the side affects would of been gone by now!! Hoping to hear from you soon and thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.