Anyone taken Paxil for depression...experience?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Been on it 3 weeks sad

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicole

I took it a few times over a period of years and it worked brilliantly for me. Hang in there x

• Posted

Hi Louise I appreciate your reply. Could you read my above comment and place any advice you might have.
    • Posted

It will take a good number of weeks to work dont worry. You will just start to feel back to your old self.

I also started it in 2001 after a terrible pregnancy and subsequent misscarriage. I was a mess. Couldnt leave the house, crying all the time. I actually got pregnant 3 months after starting it. I came off cold turkey cos I was afraid of taking it whilst pregnant. My GP was furious I had just stopped. Apart from a few days of dizziness I was absolutely fine. Had a fab pregnancy and now have a lovely 12 year old to boot.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm such a mess right now. I've never felt this way. Scary intrusive thoughts and I worry it will never go away. I have a daughter that is 5 now but my miscarriage was pretty traumatic. The baby developed hydrops at 5 1/2 months and I had to have a d & c.
    • Posted

By the way..... Of you slowly ween off of it, it's not so bad to come off of it.
    • Posted

I had a 7 year old at the time. You will get better I promise. I lost my baby at 6 months pregnant. I started being anxious before. I couldnt relax, i knew something ws wrong with that baby, but it felt like noone would listen. My next pregnancy was fine, it felt like it should.
    • Posted

Thank you. Did you get intrusive thoughts also with your depression too? It's scary. My next pregnancy was a miscarriage also at 8 wks which is what through me over the edge. sad
    • Posted

Hi there,

Don't worry about a thing it will be all alright.  Ambrose has given you some brill advice.  We are all different.  Intrusive thoughts are real common with depression, they are part of the negative thinking that comes with depression.  I can assure you like Ambrose that as long as you ween yourself off slowly - things will be fine.  I have weened myself from 30 mg to 20 mg to 15 mg and intend to get down to 10 mg cit until after I have been through the menopause as it really is stressing my body out and I have been fine.  Once the med's kick in all these negative thoughts about coming off will be fine and once you have given your brain a chance to get over the traumatic time which has caused the depression you will be able to take things more in your stride and when the right time comes to ween youself off you will be fine.  In the drug rehab I trained in all you have to do is come off 2.5 mg to 5 mg and give your chemicals in your brain 3 months before dropping further.  Take care and like Ambrose always here to back her up with your thinking.

Mel (Big hugs and loves) Xxlol

you'll soon feel like yourself.

p.s. a lot of those people do admit they weren't ready to come off

• Posted

Worrying about what they are writing will just make things worse for you. Most people will get online and post just to complain. Not real common for plus to get online and say how good it was for them because they are happy and living their lives. There are many reasons why people have a difficult time coming off of it but, it's usually because they aren't doing it correctly. Of and when you decide to come off.... Do it slowly.... As long as you do it slowly, you will be OK. If you do have to do it quickly because of pregnancy or some other medical reason, there are other ssri's that you can take that will be safe and it helps fight the withdrawals from coming off paxil. You will be fine. I have done this for years and the only time I had a problem was when I tried to quit cold turkey. Try not to worry about what other people say that are negative. You are not them. You are different and much stronger than you think. If you're going to surf the web on reviews, look at the positives that paxil has helped so many people and changed their lives for the better. You will get through this and then one day you can look back at these posts and wonder what all the fuss was aboutsmile it won't be to long and you're going to feel so much better....... I promise.
    • Posted

Hi Sophie I'm sorry your having a difficult time! I hope you better soon. I know it's a long process but it seems like it takes forever. It took me at least 4 months to start to feel better.
    • Posted

Thankyou for getting back to me, feel a bit better now that you said 4 months. When I read 2-4 weeks that it took for people to get better, it makes me feel worse. Was it gradual for you or like a "light switch" like I keep reading! Also did your time of the month affect you at the start? I thought I was getting better but over the last week I have been very up and down, is this a sign that it is working? Sorry for all the questions, I'm very grateful for any info you have xx
    • Posted

Hi ambrose

Just started paxil 5 mg for 1 week, then went to 10 mg. Been on 10 mg for 9 days. Also weaning off of mirtazapine down to 5 mg. Do you think its to early to count the paxil out as my depression seems to be getting worse. Anxiety better though.

• Posted

I too am struggling with taking Paxil- my story is a little different but I think is still relevant- I was on 10mg of Paxil for 8 years, I was weaning myself off when I was down to 5mg I had some major life events cause me to fall into a deep depression- my doctor told me to go back on to my old dose - so I went back to 10mg - it stopped the suicidal thoughts but it was not helping the depression- 4 months later doc increased me to 20mg - well I wanted to titrate up to my 20 mg slowly - so I went to 15mg and the next day I felt so strange- I felt numb and completely disconnected from the world, very loud rining in the ears and brain fog! I was like this for about 3 weeks hoping it would go away- it didn't - so I went to my doc and she said go up to the full 20mg - I did that about 2 weeks ago- the brain fog did not get worse but it is still there- I feel disconnected and my ears continue to ring- I have never felt this way on Paxil before - I feel less depressed but I continue to have anxiety attacks and the horrible brain fog- any ideas why this might be happening? I will give it more time because I am hopeful I will get to feeling better soon- I assume it's that the increase made my anxiety and depression worse and now it's working to fix itself?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.