Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone taking Lansoprazole for acid reflux

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie yes I take it for acid reflux.
    • Posted

Hi Ian thanks for reply, I was interested to hear from people as I take lansoprazole every day, the side effects of being on it long term aren't good, iv tried diet etc but nothing works, I take them as I know acid can damage the oesophagus.
    • Posted

Hi Julie I suppose the only other options are dieting (which doesn't work for me) or surgery which was offered to me through a private consultant.
    • Posted

Hi no diet didn't work for me either, I do eat low acid food tho, have to carry on with tablets, interesting to hear from others.
  • Posted

So do I, its a common drug for reflux, what is your question or is that it 
    • Posted

Hi just interested to hear from others taking it as I said to Ian above, just wondered if anyone has tried a diet to help prevent acid, iv tried but nothing works .
  • Posted

Yes Iy do Julie. 30mg a day and Ranitidine before I go to bed.

It seems to be dealing with my AR but the price I seem to be paying is a lack of sexual desire. Thankfully I have been married 43 years so not too much of a problem but I am sure it would be if I was a younger man.

• Posted

Hi Ted thanks for reply, oh dear side effects are not good, I was put on 30mg a day, but I asked the doctor for 15mg a day, he agreed and it worked for me luckily,maybe it would work for you, less side effects.
  • Posted

As of right now I am not. I am trying to go about the natural way. I read on ppi and they long run risk are not worth it for me personally.

I eat aloe vera raw 3 times to heal my throat. I also take probiotics. And am taking vitamin D.

I also have changed my diet to a low acid diet as much as possible. I was just diagnosed this past Monday. So we will see how it goes. I did some research and most of the ppl included this forum ppi did really nothing for them. I read that lpr really is more of a gut problem . That's why we don't get the normal heart burn.

• Posted

Hi, Hope it works for you, I tried by diet but it didn't stop my acid symptoms, its interesting to hear what works for orhers
  • Posted

Hi Julie

Yes I take very for acid and it's been really good take it 30-60 minutes before meals times no Problems with acid at all

Regards

Paul

• Posted

I'm no doctor, but imo taking your meds before meals means you then have have no acid left to digest your food, which could cause problems down the track. Maybe you'd be better off waiting for an hour or so after your meal to take your meds, that way you've at least digested some of your meal. I realise this isn't always possible.
    • Posted

Mick

Was told by the GP who I see for my PN he said 30-60 minutes before food also says on the label the same Also says don't take any indigestion remedies 2 hours before or after taking this which I don't

Paul

• Posted

Mick what you say makes sense but my doctor as also told me to take mine before having breakfast.
    • Posted

Just looked on the notes in the box says take 30 before food

Regards

Paul

• Posted

I bet your doctor says to take them before meals because that's what it says on the packet. The drug companies may say before meals to create a one rule fits all and imo that's not how life works. Taking them after a meal has partly digested always worked just the same as before a meal for me. Maybe this works better for moderate suffers of reflux. One of the long term problems with PPP's and Rani's is malabsorption of important nutrients, including calcium, which can lead to weak bones. Taking them an hour or so after meals at least partially addresses this problem.
    • Posted

Hi Paul, yes I do too, it works great for me too, iv tried changing to low acid diet so I dont have to take medication but nothing works,
    • Posted

hi julie, 

glad its working for you too forgot too take it today ha ha  

• Posted

If I forget to take one. I soon remember when I start getting heartburn! Iv tried drinking lots of water and everything else you read but I still get it, tablets work great tho .
    • Posted

If your body is like mine and generates too much acid then no diet change is going to change that. That is why the PPI works for me and I take it every day. 

Is there a specific side effect that you suffer whilst taking the med that concerns you. If not, the most dangerous thing you do is get in a car but you don't say to yourself, I am not doing this because people die in cars every day. worth thinking about. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.