Anyone tapered off MIrtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've not been on it for long but am tapering off - I've also been put on Escitalopram and intend to remain on that for my underlying anxiety issues. I need to come off the Mirt though as I am not happy with the weight gain already, in only a month - it's not something I'll be happy to stay on long term. I haven't been taking it for very long at all - less than a month - so I am hoping the withdrawal will be minimal. I have to be very careful though as my initial problems stem from severe insomnia, so I need to avoid rebound insomnia at all costs!

I've managed to taper without problems from 30mg to 22mg to 15mg to 10mg over 3 weeks and have now been on 7.5mg for the last 3 nights. Since being on 7.5mg I feel pretty rough - I'm sleeping ok (despite the nightmares, but they don't really bother me) but still feel really tired the next day, plus I am SUPER irritable and grumpy (like the worst PMS you can imagine... no one come near me!!) and I have terrible muscle aches all up my legs, it hurts even to walk up the stairs. I know now that Mirt is more sedating at lower doses so I'm not surprised on the sleepiness, but are the rest of the symptoms / side effects I've listed also increased at lower doses? Not sure why I would have not experienced them at 15 / 10mg but am now. I wondered if anyone has successfully tapered off and had any experience of it to share? None of it is unbearable, it's just all pretty yucky and considering I intend to taper really slowly off the last amount, I'm wondering if these side effects will remain for the whole time... xx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I came off mirtazipine cold Turkey after a few months on it . it was making me feel pretty Ill. the withdrawals lasted a week and felt better after that x

when you lower or higher doses it takes a while for your body to adjust to the change. it will get easier x

• Posted

yes but you had cit to cushion the blow of mirt! and with all dose changes you may now be more sensitive to meds, for instance ive come off mirt 3 times the first two were easy the third was hell but only lasted 4 months, so a walk in the park compared to ssri withdrawal, but like ive said before some are more sensitive than others and thats why i dont like people on here giving others advice to drop by 5mg at a time because everyone has different levels of withdrawal and from what ive read most who say that had very few symptoms anyway x

• Posted

Thanks both, turns out what I was experiencing was withdrawal, at least I'm pretty sure it was. Two days after I wrote this post I got hit with horrific insomnia again and a tense, strange buzzing in my head. I went back to the start at 15mg and after 5 nights of insomnia it finally passed. I'm going to stabilize for 2/3 weeks and then try to drop again but do it much more slowly this time, and give my body at least 3 weeks to get used to the new dose before trying to drop again. I had figured because I had only been on it for 17 days I would fine to taper really quickly, but it wasn't the case. I also didn't fully understand that Mirt has a long ish half life and so withdrawals can take a couple of weeks to start to show.

Toria you are totally right, everyone is different. There are clearly some lucky buggers who don't get withdrawal at all!

Thanks for your comments guys xx

• Posted

potatoeghost i reduced mirt to 11.25 for 6 weeks going to start 7.5 tonight. from what dose did you go off

• Posted

just remember it can be more sedating in lower doses x I came straight off 30mg

• Posted

any side effects going off

• Posted

sorry were you on citalopram when you went off

• Posted

I was on it about 10 weeks I think but it was too much for my body. it was given to me to be taken alongside my citalopram so I was on both at the same time.

honestly when I came off I wasn't sure what was withdrawals and what was side effects from increasing my citalopram. I had horrible adrenaline rushes on mirtazipine, itvwas horrible they got a lot better when I stopped taking it but that's all I really noticed x

• Posted

just read that luvox the antidepressant i'm on, increases the plasma level of mitasipine by 3 or 4 times

• Posted

lynn its more likely that lower doses of mirt are more sedative, if you believe everything you read online then withdrawal only lasts 3 weeks 😕 x

• Posted

hi iv stopped taking 30mg mirtazapine as was not for me, i felt worse anxiety and depression. one day off and i feel better already but i dont know if i should taper 15mg for a week or so? should i see how i feel off completely?

• Posted

hi-why were you put on mirtazapine?

• Posted

Hey Tasha - I was put on it after a severe bout of insomnia that left me delirious and having extreme anxiety attacks. It helped turn the initial corner but now it's just making me feel sooooo tired every day, even when I have slept - I'm literally not able to get anything done or go back to work. It's not the drug for me. I'm also on Escitalopram and plan to stay on that to help with my underlying anxiety issues. It's a shame it's going to take me forever now to taper off the Mirt, but I can't risk giving myself rebound insomnia by doing it too quickly again

• Posted

I've had bouts / episodes of severe insomnia over the last decade. Usually triggered by some 'thing' - quite often getting into a new relationship - but this time was far worse than anything else and not triggered by any big life event. My mental health deteriorated quite badly this time and Mirtazapine was the only thing that helped turned a corner, however I'm now paying for it with 6 months of side effects and tapering off it. I wish I had known of CBT-i at the beginning before it got so bad, as I think this is something that may well have helped pull me out without the need for medication. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.