Anyone Totally Through Diazepam Withdrawal ?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello,  looking for advice from anyone who has gone through diazepam withdrawal and is now 100% free.  I have been off them a while after a slow withdrawal but I am still having 'bad episodes'   feel as though I am in shock / on the verge of passing out It starts with general 'offish' feeling,  dry eyes and then as if I am wearing an Ice Cap,  this is quickly followed by cold sweats,  skin burning but shivering and rivulets of sweat running off me.  Bad Cramps in legs and arms,  joints feel as if they are coming apart.    Would love to hear from anyone who has fully recovered.  Thankyou and sincere good wishes for those still in withdrawal.

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi Jessie.

Yes there is life after diazepam.

I was using 30 x 10mg in eight days.

I realised I had a problem and sought advice.

I am totally clear of diazepam now and have my life back. I actually feel happy, I couldn't feel anything when on diazepam.

I don't miss it.

Go for it..I am proof it can be done but do it in your time x

• Posted

How did you do it. How slow was you tsperin for. Did you. get lady problems x

• Posted

I did a gradual reduction to 8mg then stopped completely. I had a couple of panic attacks and had help from UNITY.

I knew that the drug would stop from my gp and wanted to do it myself instead of being forced.

• Posted

Sorry 2 be a pain when you say slowly how slow and what mg did you drop. You seem like its easy
    • Posted

Hi Shell,

I'm not linda but read your post and wanted to answer you and dont ever feel like your being a pain when your going thru these things, you have so many thoughts, questions etc.  Often you dont get answers from doctors only from people who are going or gone through it.

I'm coming off Xanax as they have stopped prescribing due to being very addictive they have changed it to a schedule 4 drug (narcotics)  but it worked so well for panic and did not have a long half life like diazepam, also they were the ones that put me on it along with all sorts of other medications, I no now I was a test subject like most of us.  I was not taking them for FUN it was a genuine medical issue but due to the fact that many people out there did see it as a fun drug we all have to pay the price.   I wanted to taper myself of them but could not get another script and its stronger than diazepam so im feeling it, I only have one script of Valium and am taking them to help with withdrawals.but im having withdrawals that s for sure.

Your questions re ladies problems,  I have always found that when reducing of coming off I would sometimes get them 2 or 3 ttimes a month and always heavy and bad cramping. I also find that my digestive system does not work properly, felt numb from neck to belly but can still get the horrid diahrea etc It's  the body's way of just trying to eliminate toxins, it's not pleasant at all on top of every thing else.

Linda has done very well I dont know how long she took to come off but remember we are all different what may be easier for her may not be for us.  I no how you feel, you read sucess stories like Linda and I applaud her and am so happy for her but i think to myself why cant it be like that for me? God no's Ive done the right thing for so long followed all the rules etc and I just felt worse..  It really stuffs with your mind. .Are you on any other medication?

People read 23mgs amd think thats alot but really it's only 4 and a half pills.  Yesterday I started with no Xanax wish id never been givin it its worse than valium, dependancy wisw as iif having a panick attack it worked quicly & gave a feeling of europoria, to cope with your day,and is 10 times stronger but tolerance is built very quickly.  Although the withdrawals are all roughly the same but i'm scarred, I dont have enough to do a slow tapper and in Australia trying to find a doc that will help is impossible all I have here is a detox center and they tapper you very quicky over 7 days. I've dont that twice and stayed off for months but as ive said before was in hell every kind of withdrawal I had and seziures.

How are you feeling on 23mg shell? still getting any bad effects other than the womans thing?  Dont worry about that when I did a detox they explained  that coming of or on quite alot of drugs it will change your cycle. I feel for you and Linda must have still gone thru hard times to achieve what she has, to be honest it's the first real sucsess story ive heard of.   I know of one other person that did not get withdrawals at all so its all in our different make up.  We try to stay positve but it's an evil drug and plays with your mind and body and soul. You have come along way and still sticking it out, so you should be proud of yourself for that so thinking of you and,all the very best  Nickyx

• Posted

Hi thanks for your post. I am on 23mg and I would say that I feel num feel sick feel like I need to keep going to the bathroom. Sweaty restless I was on about 49 to on 55mg a day. Nearly coming up to 2 years so you can ser how slow its taken. Everyone says that good. But I think it is to slow. But the problem is my body can't go any faster. Some days I just stay in bed sweaty away wondering when this will settle but it int so on far and have no idea why. Been on 23mg forb 12 week s now. Is that normal. Re
    • Posted

I would say lose 1mg a fortnight. If you need to stay at that point for another two weeks.

Take it slowly and go with side effects - don't fight them. Fighting them will take all your energy and give you less of a chance.

Go for it. You have lots to gain and nothing to lose.

I will help as much as possible.

Hope this helps shell xx

• Posted

Hi half a mg is what I was dropping every 6 weeks. How the hell did you drop like that. It must off hell for you. I wish I could have done it like that. Well done. That is why I have no idea why it hitting me lik a bus. So weak im in bed again. X
    • Posted

Shell you are doing fine reducing at that pace.

Is it possible for you to have a break and be static for six weeks to allow your body to regain momentum.

Sometimes its the best option also giving you time to relax without the stress of reducing. Rushing the reduction isn't good. Do it slowly and gradually, this way you have less withdrawal symptoms

Do it at a pace you feel safe with as every one is different but you will get there. I am

proof if this.

35yrs o and off. 30. X 10 mg in a week to nothing. It wasn't was but I stuck at it and now diazepam. Free..

Hope it helps x

Hey every one needs a duvet day even me and I am not on diazepam any longer.

Its the dark nights!!!

• Posted

Thank you just got my blood test results and all is well. Worrying about the results. I can't believe how many side s effects I get. All I want is my life back. And I hope that it s worth it. And this int for nothing as you hear about people who just can't get off them. I hope I int going to be one of them. Everyone so lovely on this site. And I thank you all x x

regards shell

• Posted

Hi Shell.

I needed to get my life back after my neighbour committed arson. My and my pets life was in danger. I had four years of hell with him.

I was moved to an area I don't know and know anyone at all. Its so quiet , a complete contrast to where I was.

I would sometimes wake in the morning wondering if I was dead cos of no noise, no traffic, hardly any passers by.

The police said was not to inform anyone of my new address.

It was and is at times total isolation.

I took courses when coming off diazepam and now have 26 NVQ credits

I have bought a laptop and now have to take a course to learn what to do.

I have no family so its hard.

It can be done and you will get your life back I promise.

Maybe other people want to forget about their addiction to diazepam or don't want to admit they were addicted.

We need to stand together, people who have won the war on diazepam and those whose aim is to get their life back.

Hope it gives you a better understanding and helps xxx

• Posted

Hello Linda  and a big hug for you my dear.   It is so very good to hear from someone so positive,     I am now  at 10  months off them.     Days like today,  well to be somewhere else would be so much better than where I am.   The bad days are too awful and I have been sorely tempted today to take just one little pill,  and feel a bit better.    

Like you I have it hard, life that is,  and am on my own.   I did used to have a dog,  all my life had dogs, but due to being on my own and disabled and a pensioner I fear what would happen to the dog if I were taken bad and had to go into hospital.   I miss the company so much,  they make life worth living, a reason to live really.    

I hope your life now is so much better,  living where you are and away from the dreadful neighbour I mean,    that must have been a nightmare for you,   the peace and quiet  will I am sure also be a comfort to your pets,  they feel stress just like us,  and know when we are poorly or ill,  as you will know I'm sure,   so is good all round.    You will soon get to know the folks in your new neighbourhood,  I sincerly hope they are all good and make you feel comfortable and welcome as you get settled in,   can make such a difference having good neighbours,  especially when you are alone with no family.

Best of luck with your new project - the Laptop,    am  quite positive you will do very well with it,  and enjoy it.

So good to read your post xx       picked me up a treat it has.

Warmest regards  and  warm hug too 

Jessie xx

• Posted

Hello Shell,     good to see you have found Linda,    she has become 'My Hero',        I too still have bad days,   real doozies of days lol.    Not been on here for a while but looked in by chance and saw the replies,  pleased I did,    it has bucked my up  and helped me.  I do hope you take inspiration from Linda as I do,  we need the help she gives,   I still feel better off them,   it is the  cramps and the weakness that get me down so much,  never had anything so debilitating in my life,  hard to even get a cup of tea at times,    and sleep,  heck  I have forgotten what a good sleep is.     I get bad tempered as well these days,   not something I was bothered with before.    Always been a quiet peaceful little soul lol,      the new me is maybies not all good,   but then again it may settle down once the withdrawal is fully past.  Hope so !!!

Take care shell,  and take time, lots of time,  it is not a race,  and it will be worth it.      So pleased to see your blood works are all OK,   could be the stress -  but no more worries about it.

Keep posting and talking to Linda,  make her your hero too....     and know I am with you and thinking of you.      Linda also.    

Regards Jessie x

• Posted

Thank you Jessie.

Have you not thought of getting an older dogThe Dogs Trusy or RSPCA will look after your pet if something happens to you. All you need to do is fill in a couple of forms..

Its an idea.

I have a 13 and a half year old Border Terrior/collie. A 17 year old tabbie (short haired).

I aksi have a long haired ginger/beige tabbie who is 7yrs of,age. The ginger one just moved in one day and that was it

All of them are rescues.

I at times feel like having a diazepam but I've come too far to go back.

Yes my life was hell for those four years. I seriously considered suicide many times.

Keep kogs, police, environmental health, housing association. Oop keep logs.

I have been here 15 months. I have a detached bungalow so no stress from anyone attached. One neighbour is 92 and the other is 70s. They keep to themselves.

Another one just moans and moans, needles to say I keep away from her.

She said bungalows should not have pets, usually she moans about things you do she doesn't agree with. She said I shouldn't have a shed. Poor lady so self opinionated.

Anyway, I am happy . My brain isn't dulled with drugs.

I have emphysema. ME, Gallstones plus many other things but we accept what we have and look to the future with hope, love, acceptance and smile. A smile is infectious as ots passed on.

Lovely to hear from you and thank you

Keep in touch

Big hugs xxxx

• Posted

Wow. I never thought I could be a hero but I am with you all and will be here for you for as long as you need me.

Warm hugs to everyone.

You can do it. I am proof. Xx

• Posted

Hi. Big hug.

You are doing fantastic being off diazepam

for ten months.

You will have times when you think of taking diazepam but that's just the addiction talking, tell it to go to hell where it lives. Addiction is evil and takes over your life and then takes over you. You don't know who you are, what you feel - nothing. You lose yourself.

So carry on with being diazepam free and,I promise your life will be so much better. You will feel happiness , you will feel free and you will be able to deal with life, make decisions and maybe help others.

If I can help one person then my life has been worth a lot.

Thank you.

Big hugs xx

• Posted

Hello Linda,      I would not get any dog now,  my mobility is bad,    that was why I was taken off the Diaz,   given them to control muscle spasms and taken off due to falls ..    life !!       Can't win what ever which way up we try.

I would also worry about the dog,   made my mind up when I got my last one that she would be my last,  and will stick with it even tho I often do wish for the company.

Is good that you are taking Rescue dogs,  my word, where would they be with folks like yourself,   I have done so in the past,  and  kept them for friends while they were on hols etc.    Your pets are a good age,     well done,   is great that you have given them a good happy  old age.

You have quite a list of ails,    I know how you feel,  as you say we accept and do the best we can.     I love your outlook,    positive is so much better than negative in this life,   there should be a prescription written for it for everyone.   

True about your brain not being dulled by drugs,  I did not realise that I was until now when I am off them -  well  off the Diaz.    I saw it as part of my pain relief,  my first aid when an extream spasm stopped me dead in my tracks,  and they worked pretty fast to relieve them.  The morphine I take now in thier place is very fast also,  but heck I do not like the side effects of it,      aggitated,  restless,     insommnia,     not good lol.

I will keep looking for your posts,   I need to,     must confess I also think of suicide,   it  just gets to the point where I can't even lay down in bed,  or make a cuppa   and I don't want to go on,      I find something constructive to do if it is not possible to go out for a walk,  and it passes eventually,   as  does all things.

Thankyou for your reply Li

Take good care of you x

Warmest regards    big hug 

Jessie xxx

• Posted

Hello Linda,      I would not get any dog now,  my mobility is bad,    that was why I was taken off the Diaz,   given them to control muscle spasms and taken off due to falls ..    life !!       Can't win what ever which way up we try.

I would also worry about the dog,   made my mind up when I got my last one that she would be my last,  and will stick with it even tho I often do wish for the company.

Is good that you are taking Rescue dogs,  my word, where would they be with folks like yourself,   I have done so in the past,  and  kept them for friends while they were on hols etc.    Your pets are a good age,     well done,   is great that you have given them a good happy  old age.

You have quite a list of ails,    I know how you feel,  as you say we accept and do the best we can.     I love your outlook,    positive is so much better than negative in this life,   there should be a prescription written for it for everyone.   

True about your brain not being dulled by drugs,  I did not realise that I was until now when I am off them -  well  off the Diaz.    I saw it as part of my pain relief,  my first aid when an extream spasm stopped me dead in my tracks,  and they worked pretty fast to relieve them.  The morphine I take now in thier place is very fast also,  but heck I do not like the side effects of it,      aggitated,  restless,     insommnia,     not good lol.

I will keep looking for your posts,   I need to,     must confess I also think of suicide,   it  just gets to the point where I can't even lay down in bed,  or make a cuppa   and I don't want to go on,      I find something constructive to do if it is not possible to go out for a walk,  and it passes eventually,   as  does all things.

Thankyou for your reply Linda

Take good care of you x

Warmest regards    big hug 

Jessie xxx

• Posted

Linda,    

Your life is priceless,    your life  is  soooo  worthwhile,     Lot of people  need you  and  your  smile,   your caring,    and  the time you give.

Thankyou xxx

Jessie 

• Posted

Hi Jessie.

I am on Morphine patches. I also have

Oramorph for break through pain.

Are you on the patches.?

Its so easy and your pain is controlled

24hrs a day. You change your patch every third day.

You can oramorph for break through pain. A max of 40ml a day.

I have been there when I couldn't get a cup of tea. Its frustrating.

My kettle stopped working, it does that, then four days later it started to work.

I have had times when I couldn't make a cup of tea because of pain or not being able to move,about. I know what that is like.

When you cant get out of bed - keep a good book, a pen and paper, either read, write down your thoughts , make plans on what you would like to do, places you would like to go.

If possible watch a bit of tv.

I am lucky as I have three pets. I am 61.y favourite time is watching them all wat, happy and when they are asleep, totally contested and truly loved. They are my life.

We all went through hell but came out of it and living a nice life in a nice bungalow.

Oops It should be watching them eat.

I can never work again but the courses get me out, see different faces, and learn in the

process, keeping my brain active.

I am thinking if volunteering to work with MIND so I can help others. Everyone needs help sometime.

I could do advocacy, paperwork , organise things, see folk face to face.

Big warm hugs to you xxx

• Posted

Hi Jessie,

Long time no talk, must be hard without your dogs, I was the same never had children but always had a dog they are so positive and just loving.

I do some voluntry work for the RSPCA so like Linda has said you could get another one, it will prob pick up your spirits.

I think Linda is everyones hero on this site, such a wonderful positive helpful person indeed.  She has given me so much hope, instead of thinking how hard it is I now think, IT CAN BE DONE and I CAN DO IT and no matter how hard it is at times at the end of the line it's worth it. 

Good on you, you are doing very well.  Just hope you find a pooch that has nothing but love to give you.  This is a wonderful thread, at my worst times I have a look, gives me hope.  All the best.  Nicky.biggrin

• Posted

Hi Shell,

Im so glad your blood tests were fine and I understand your worry regarding why you are still feeling like this! as some others have done it quicker etc.  All the side effects you have explained make sense to me as that is how i get so I really do understand the frustration you are feeling.  It is so wonderful to hear a sucess story like Linda it assures us it can be done.  I no you feel like your reduction is taking too long but obviously that's what your body needs as Linda stated you may need to stay on your 23mgs for a while to let things settle and also stops worrying about reducing, pre empting the withdrawals.  I no that I can have a tendancy to just worry about everything, it's like my brain wont stop ticking over and over and all rather negative thoughts or memories from a violent partner in the past.  I try so hard to stay positive, meditation, when i can sit still that is and even though i feel so weak i've been making myself exersise on a good day i can do 30 minutes on the bike some bad days only 10 mins but they say execise effects the same part of the brain that valium does, just need to stick with it.

I too am on Sertaline 150mg I also take Vitamin B anything herbal that a friend has helped me with. 

I belive your tapering is good going slow, don't worry how long it is taking in the end it will be worth it.

I am searching desperatly for a doctor who will do a tapper here in Aus, as I mentioned to my doc I wanted to come off and he just said ok then this will be  your last script,  I should probably not have said it but i thought he would help, i would have waited and got a few more scripts so i had enough to tapper at least a little, pretty well ill be going cold turkey and im scared but still trying to be positive.  Most days now i have no energy and feel so bad I cant go out.  I'm trying my best.  hope things get better for you sweetie.  I think of Linda and what she has achived, she is a bit of a hero here so thanks to Linda.  Take care  Nickyxx

• Posted

Hello Linda,

My word,  you truely are a lady to be admired,  I do.

I think that if you went to work with MIND you would help a lot of people.

All you say about helping others,   it would also get you out,  all the studying you have done would be put to use and you would gain so much for yourself knowing that you had made peoples lives better and happier.  Happiness is gift well worth sharing as you have shown on here.      You have personally come through so much, and still are dealing with illness.

You obviously have a caring nature,  so yes,  big yes,  go and join MIND,  so many will be grateful that you did.

I am not so much older than you,  as I read your posts though I would never have guessed that you were 61 !!     You are full of  bounce and cheer,  and gosh all the certificates you have worked hard for,   I am lost for words,  I can only repeat I do admire you and all you have achieved.

So good to hear that you are living a nice life in a nice bungalow.  You deserve all the contentment that it will bring,  you and your pets.   Get a warm glow just reading your words.

I will heed what you say about what to do in the hard times,  books and tv,  ohh yes  the pain relief,  same as you,  Fentanyl and Oramorph.  Other meds for other things,  as I guess you are also.   The patches are good,  just don't do a thing for the spasms or cramps.   They of course could be worse because they were what I took the Diaz for in the first place,  and I just hang onto the hope that they are not permanent as happens with some folk - time will tell on that!

Warm regards,  hugs for all

Jessie xxx

• Posted

hi Nicola,

hope you are on the whole keeping well,  and your family also.

Pleased Linda has given you hope,  I really am,  she is a real inspiration to us all,   good to hear there is sunshine over the rainbow  and  so much to look forward to.    Good on you doing work for the RSPCA,  a very worthy place to be,  and am sure all those animals will love you for it and the care you give them.

Reasons I won't go into,  no more dogs for me tho.   

Keep hoping Nicola,    keep trying and  know how good life can be,  bad days are tough,   I keep on hopeing that they will end soon,  next year,  aiming for that and will keep being positive.

Take care Nicola

regards

Jessie

• Posted

Hi everyone.

I feel like I am getting somewhere now.

I have changed the toaster, kettle, tea, coffee, sugar and biscuit containers to

Wild Poppy. Lovely red poppies.

I am going to put two of the chopping boards on the wall. Its going to be bright and alive.

I am really pleased so thought I would tell you.

Stand together and we all will make it to a life off diazepam... a Future..A new start

• Posted

Hello Linda,

Sounds like you have been doing some retail therapy !   Good for you,  bet your kitchen looks very smart now,   do you have other changes in mind to keep you busy on these co

• Posted

whoops --------------------

on these cold wet dreary days lol.

warmest regards

and hugs   Jessie  xx

• Posted

Hi Jessie.

I have two jumpers I am knitting, one is

fairisle with a pattern I have made up in my head. I have knitted the back of that jumper. I am also doing a blue jumper, I have done the back and front and have started the sleeves.

I have lots of wool in the loft and many colours. Its relaxing doing knitting but not when I have to concentrate very hard with a complicated pattern. But it is worth it when you see the end result.

I showed Ann (long story there) and she said " Who are you knitting that for" I think she would like me to knit. her a jumper.

Now here is s true story.

I was admitted to hospital and while outside the hospital I met Barbara. We got on brilliantly and would meet up. I gave her a blue cross. She said I have wool that colour I will knit you a jumper. After we were both discharged Barbara rang me and asked if I would like a jumper with a dogs head on or a cat chasing a butterfly. I said the cat.

Months later the post man arrived with a parcel and inside was the most beautiful jumper Wasn't that nice. She lived far away from me and I lost a lot of numbers when my mobile was stollen.

I want to do a tapestry using half cross stitch I will have to try and find the canvas, it is likely in the loft. I gave a lot of things to the lady I got bobby from, her name is Kathy and she has a farm but aldo does dog rescue. She has the kennels and one year she had 26 dogs for Christmas dinner and everyone of the dogs received a present.

Kathy is an amazing person,as she understands the emotions if the dogs. She is the Alpha one where the dogs are concerned. She has helped dogs no one else would help. I admire her for all she does.

I am at present thinking of what I am going to do at Xmas. I know I will have no presents so I thought I would try and do some voluntary work all Christmas. I will go into the CVS and enquire. I am sure that an organisation could use a volunteer.. I open to do anything.I had a bad experience not long ago. I was talking to this lady, we went shopping.

She did not have any food to speak of just a lettuce and some tomatoes.

I invited her to mine for a meal many times, what I didn't know was she was stealing the food in my cupboard.

I told her she must not go hungry, if she needed anything let me know. I would give anyone food. I couldn't believe she had stollen my food. I would have given her a cooked meal anytime, but, hey ho that's life. She must have been putting food under her clothes.Cor blimy this is a long letter.

Big warm hugs and love to you. Xxx

• Posted

So very glad to hear Linda, you have done so well.  I'm lost for words.

Take care and all the very best.

Nicola

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.