anyone with GERD also have atrial fibrilation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am a regular poster on GERD forums, but recently diagnosed with AF.  This usually comes on after my main evening meal, lasts a few hours, gives me fast heart beat and pain in chest area.  When I mentioned this to cardiologist he said it was good to know when it happens and could be the vagus nerve causing it, just wondered if anyone else has this and if you have managed to control it.   

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Yes I also have AF it seems the two go hand in hand I have my main meal at midday and often just before or after I eat I get an attack of AF, I have also had GORD for may years and the Vagus nerve seems to be the main culprit as it controls your gut heart and Lungs and if it is damaged can cause problems in all 3 areas the good news is I read recently that a scientist in Denmark developed a pacemaker for the vagus nerve and is currently doing trials on people with Rheumatoid Arthritis as because  RA is a condition of the immune system which is also cntroled by the vagus nerve so far trials have been successful.

L.

• Posted

Hi Linda, glad to hear you have the same (if you know what I mean) as really hard to just ignore it, even though I know that it is not going to kill me.  I am getting a little worried about eating though as it has only just started being so regular, used to be once or twice a month, no seems to be happening most days. I hate the dull ache in chest.  Have you found any ways of making it less intense, like walking around or taking extra PPI's, has your GP given you medication? I had a DVT in December and am on blood thinners which apparently is good for AF.  Thanks

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I am on blood thinners (warfarin) and a beta blocker to slow the heart rate (Bisoporol) at the moment I have periods when it dosen't bother me to much then for no reason it goes off and can last for several hours. I have suffered with acid reflux and Oesphagitis for many years usually meds keep itnder cotrol but in the past few weeks have had quite  a bad flare up that isn't responding to meds at the moment it is a horrible condition I have burning in my gut up into my chest right through to my back and up into my right shoulder, I could cope with that if I didn't feel so nauseaous.  

• Posted

Hi, you sound exactly the same as me, sometimes I have nothing other times it comes on and lasts for days, then will disappear for a couple of month. I also have burning right in centre of stomach, but I know this time mine has been caused by the coloured plastic cases on pills, which I am apparently allergic to.  I had some antibiotics for water infection and they leave me in agony for weeks, hence the reason for PPI's. I have taken gaviscon straight after my meal the last 2 nights and it has helped. My cardiologist said not to have beta blockers as well as thinners as they do not really work and could slow down heart too much.  Take care

• Posted

Hi,

A lot of people who have AF find certain foods are a trigger many of them follow the FODMAP diet.I also have problems with chocolate and like you soemtimes  say what the heck and within 30 mins regret it as I am usually doubled up in pain the other thing I cant have is cheese I have been intolerant of that since I was a child. and red wine is a definate no no that brings me out in an itchy rash.

I like you have suffered with on going water infection over the past 25 years and use an intermittent catheter 4 times a day so am open to infection. and too many antibiotics over the years have damaged the gut.

a pharmacist told me the other day to take gaviscon about 30mins before a meal and then always just before you go to bed it seems to be helping I didn't know you could take before a meal but he said it would be fine.

L.

• Posted

Hi there Tania here I too suffer from GERD but hay ho we all know its our choice of what goes in our mouths ha mine is cava spicey food coffee ha ask me to stop my choices well then it would be .. ? My fault why I suffer as I will keep eating spice and drinking cava . Only the weekends tho . What I'm saying with a giggle is that it's our choice of diet intake that we all know the triggers .. Hope this helps Tania ...

• Posted

I'm suffering too .. Really struggling ! Despite PPI's I still get it regular - sleeping is a nightmare even sleeping elevated !!

Just waiting on an x ray and endoscopy .. Hoping that they can start controlling the acid as they mentioned that operation !

I'm 'moderate' red wine drinker (few glasses on a weekend) and 1 coffee a day and all that as stopped! I just want to get better :-( my gerd is all in my upper back, hoarse voice etc..

I was worried about long term esophogas damage, I've had it for 4 months now, I've been reassured that it takes YEARS of gerd to do permanent damage??

• Posted

Hi Kate Tania here hey I know what you mean sleeping with GERD is horrible at times I wish you well with your results I'm 53 only just ha have had GERD for sometime now .. It does go as i long as I watch what I eat and Drink moderation yes the Doctor will Say ha me I suffer in silence tell myself off all the time .. Lol

• Posted

Thanks, do you take PPI's?? How long do they take to properly work? I hear it can take weeks?

No matter what I eat and drink it doesn't matter, it's there all the time !! :-/

• Posted

Hey Kate well no I'm pretty new to the symptoms I'm more self diagnoise really my GERD is burning throat and finding swallowing difficult at times like something stuck .. But can I say I have s something wrong every week ha ha my age is getting to me every spot every headache every anything is something ha

• Posted

Hi, I do not really suffer due to any particular food etc, although I do know chocolate can cause acid for me, it is antibiotics over the years due to various things that started mine, I am allergic to the plastic cases.  Trouble is we all know what causes these things, but sometimes life is so miserable, a little of what you fancy does you good, as they say, so I do have chocolate and then moan.  It is the added AF for me that has concerned me, but just knowing that my stomach is partly causing them is quite settling as I now know that I am not about to have a heart attack.
    • Posted

Hi, I have had GERD and been taking PPI's for over 10 years now and my last endoscopy was early last year and I have no damage whatsoever.  My GP said that PPI's actually help stop permanent damage.  I take 20mg esomeprazole and 2 x 150mg ranitidine daily, it is best to take both as they do different things.  You can buy nexium over the counter, worth giving it ago if you have not already tried.   

• Posted

Hi, I take 20mg esomeprazole and 150mg ranitidine, both together work best, not the same time but one about 2 hours after the other as they do different things. They do take a while to work, definitely not weeks but you have to be regular with them and take them daily to build up.  I have taken them for over 10 years and if I miss a day, I soon know about it, so try to take them same time morning and night.  Also there are several different ones, it took me 4 to get the right one.
    • Posted

I've had it for 4 months now - just waiting 3 more weeks for a barium swallow x ray!

No matter what I eat or do, I'm in pain with acid reflux .. Just sitting still is bad as I can feel the acid pouring up in my esophogas and into my mouth .. I'm only 30 and really worried about long terms damage to my eaophogas (I'm reassured it takes years, but doesn't stop me worrying!)

So much upper back pain which is the acid reacting with the nerves I think and causing radiated pain .. I'm so worried it's going to ruin my life style forever as it's coming a daily battle !!

I think my esophogal ring just must NOT be closing as PPI's don't really help at all .. I'm just wanting my normal like back !! :-(

• Posted

Hi there hey can I say the more I'm learning from GERD the more I'm interested I have recently been watching u tube clips .. Doctors say it's a bit like Diabetes we have it ,we know what's flares it off and we carry on . I suffer most Days with heart burn I'm a runner find running difficult on a Monday after the cava and a takeaway I moan all week then start all over again lol I do hope your not suffering to much .. Tania

• Posted

Thanks for that, it's good to know!

I will start taking both those and see how I get one ..

Can you go about life eating normally then??

I'm so miserable :-( my upper back pain is constant with the acid .. It's in my mouth all the time and even sleeping sitting up does nothing as it just rises up me like a big wave ..

I've been told is definitely acid- but I just don't feel like I can get it under control .. I'm sure the barium swallow will show what's going on, I'm a single parent to 2 young girls and so worried I'm going to have to live with this forever !! Not to mention do some permanent damage to my esophigas (your info is reassuring on that though !)

• Posted

Hi Kate,

It sounds like your sphincter down near your stomach needs tightening I uderstand they can do that if it. is or you may just have a sliding hiatus hernia, worrying will only make the acid worse I know its easy to say but try not to.worry.the people on this forum are really kind and its always good to get help and feel reassured by those that are going through it as they know what it is like.

are you on any meds at all? have you tried taking gaviscon before you go to bed.

Take care L.

• Posted

That's so reassuring thanks L - I take everything .. Yep, gaviscon at bed time ! And also every other PPI out there ! That's why I think you could be right in that it's something physical (loose esohphigal hole or hernia) it would explain the constant flow of acid flowing back up !

No matter what I eat or drink it's there .. I'm sure the barium swallow will show it! When it's really aggravated I get night sweats (after just 1 glass of wine :-( !! )

I desperately want my normal like back ..

• Posted

HI, I am 57 and female and to be honest was diagnosed with IBS/Acid at about 15 so have basically lived with all my life, the only time it stopped was after having my son and then it disappeared for about a year, do not know why.  With regards to eating as long as I do not have too much wine, white is worse, then I am ok, chocolate can make it bad at times, but I am down from 40mg twice a day esomeprazole to just 20mg, I do take 150mg ranitidine, (you need to see GP for this dose or buy otc and take 2), for me taking both at different times of the day works.  Ranitidine soaks up the acid and PPI stops it being produced, (that is what my GP told me).  When I was last scoped I had acid so bad it was burning in my throat and making me gag, but they found nothing, absolutely no sign of acid at all !!  I suppose having it so long, I tend to eat a bland diet most days, but do eat curries and spicy foods as well.  I am either used to it or it has definitely improved over time. Being overweight it also a problem, I am at the moment and the pressure on my stomach causes all sorts of problems like the AF.  It is hard to do, but try to stop worrying about as it makes it worse, you are constantly thinking about it and stress increases the symptoms.  Let us know how you get on with the barium.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.