anyone with GERD also have atrial fibrilation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am a regular poster on GERD forums, but recently diagnosed with AF.  This usually comes on after my main evening meal, lasts a few hours, gives me fast heart beat and pain in chest area.  When I mentioned this to cardiologist he said it was good to know when it happens and could be the vagus nerve causing it, just wondered if anyone else has this and if you have managed to control it.   

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have them symptoms but my cardiologist just seemed to think it was all GI related. Now you have told me this i can go back to him for another chat . It's the chest pain that bothers me after my main meal, like you said 20mins.

• Posted

Hi Gayle, the pain bothers me more than the heart racing.  I have taken gaviscon after my meal for the past 2 nights and the pain been relieved a little.  It is amazing what connects with what and that eating should give you heart trouble.  Take care
    • Posted

Hi again last night severe chest pain. Thought they would never end around 2hr. Had to take anti nausea tablets cause my oesophagus is damaged and didn't want to make it worst. Can't seem to pin point the food. Wondered if you could help ?. Evening meal..plain chicken with salad ( lettuce tomatoes beetroot spring onions) French onion dressing and 3 new potatoes with skin on. Then Strawberry and ice cream. Both very small meal only ate 1potate . Any Ideas. Only had water after. Nausea came on first.

• Posted

Hi, I could fancy some of that, sounds yummy, but seriously now, tomatoes definitely do it for me, my GP told me not to eat fresh ones, also strawberries are not that good either, I eat them but in moderation, also spring onions can be a contributor.  Beetroot is great as is chicken. Have you tried eating an apple, even apple juice the cloudy kind is good. Not sure if you have tried ranitidine yet (zantac) but if you are UK you can get them from any supermarket.  I swear by them with my PPI as they put a lid on the acid and soak it up. I struggle with weight because all the good stuff causes acid, I was told, rich tea biscuits, plain potatoes, plain eggs, chicken with skin off, to be honest a beige diet, this is also good for IBS and other stomach complaints, just a bit boring.  Bananas do it for me so although I love them I keep off them.  It really is trial and error and unless you know 100% your oesophagus is damaged, do not be suprised if when you are checked it isn't mine never is even though I have suffered horrendously over the years. With AF mine always happens straight after my evening meal and the chest pain is frightening, but cardio said it was because the stomach is full and presses again the vagus nerve which in turn presses again the heart which causes AFib and give you chest pain.  All related in some way or other.  I sometimes feel scared to eat, but love my food so just carry on.  Try to rest and eat little and often if helps. I cannot really eat a 3 course meal so eat all day long, that's my excuse anyway.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi Gayle,

OMG I would have been in a heap on the floor if I had eaten that chicken is good but as for the rest I have realised over the years never to eat anything with pips or seeds that includes the strawberry's its the seeds on the outside that set it off, and as for the spring onions the thought makes me wince. us acid sufferers need a very bland diet I would be pushing it even with the ice cream its the fat content that does it.

Take care L.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.