Aortic Aneurysm

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been told I have an Aortic Aneurysm, but its in its early stages, what I want to know is, how did I get it, how can it be sorted, what are the risks to me, can I still use the gym (I use a running machine, lift weights, use a rowing machine

Am I going to drop dead while I am exercising, okay I do push my self a good bit, but I feel good when I come out of the gym aftyer a good work out, I am 65, like to think I am fit, a bit overweight I guess, try to eat well, drink plenty of water, enjoy my coffee

Anyone know if I am going to fall off my perch  any time soon ?

I have to go for another check up next year

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My husband is 72 and he went  the doctor for something else and when he had a CT scan a 10 cm aneurysm was found.  He had surgery less than a week later and is doing good.  The surgeon said he likes to get them when they are  about 5 cm.  Sometimes up until then, they just watch and if one starts growing too fast they operate.  Maybe yours has not reached the stage where it could rupture.  My husband had the EVAR procedure.  He is extremely fortunate that his was found.  The only symptom he had was that he could feel his pulse in his abdomen.  He had mentioned this to two doctors, but neither one seemed concerned.  There is lots of information on the Internet.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

How do these  happen, what is the cause of them, do they just appear ?
    • Posted

Not sure.  From what I have read, smoking is a major factor, but you probably don't smoke.  Our doctor said they are hereditary and told my husband his brothers especially should be checked.  High blood pressure. Also some people just have weakened arterial walls.  

• Posted

As far as I am aware, its not hereditary, none of my family ever had one (guess I had to  be the first)

Dont have high blood pressure (they keep telling me its normal, what ever normal is)

I have just carried on as normal, down the gym, there is nothing I can do about it, that is down to the doctors to tell me

• Posted

Just be glad you know about it and can keep an eye on it.  My husband probably had his for years and wasn't aware of it.  He says he was glad he didn't know, but thankful we found it in time.  

• Posted

It was only because of this check up thing I found out about it, I guess it just grows until it becomes worthwhile doing some thing about it

As I cant find out any more  about it, I am just carrying on

• Posted

How big is it? Mine was 3.1 cm when it was found by chance in 2004.

It gets scanned once a year and is was said to be 3.8 on an MRI scan for something else. That is probably more accur\ate than the ultrasond scan that they say is + or - 10%.

The ultrasound three weeks ago said 3.6. As I'm coming up for 82 I expect to outlive it.

Its only problem for me is travel insurance. It really scares them so I just ask them to exclude it from the policy.  

• Posted

That sounds about the size mine was, got to go back next year for another check up

Still no idea how I got it or how it happened

• Posted

I forgot to say that after my MRI scan I wanted to get some treatment from an osteopath for my back. She would not treat me in case she burst it!

I contacted the surgeons secretary and asked what his opinion was.

He asked the osteopath for details of the treatment she would do for him to approve it. Now waiting for his his reply.

• Posted

I went down the gym after my examination because no one said I couldnt, go there 45 times a week, rowing machine, running machine weights (I can still bench press my own body weight, 84 kilos, 8 reps, 3 sets

I try and get my heart rate up to 140/150 bpm

My view is if I am going to peg out, it will be doing something I enjoy, rather than sat in front of the TV

Mind you, it could happen when I am travelling, I will be in Sth America for 8 months, living in a tent, sleeping in my sleeping bag and travelling in a big yellow truck (with about 10-15 other people :-) )

• Posted

ooops, that should be 4-5 times a week in the gym
    • Posted

The person who scans mine said that she does not know why insurance companies are so worried about them as it would nor cost them much. Just the cost of the ambulance to take you to the mortuary:-)

• Posted

Thank you very much for your post. I went to the doctor for weakness in my legs that I have been having since 2003. Out ruled all things and was going thru a mri when they found mine with a 3.1 cm. I was shocked and read the post on internet and found nothing except the information on rupture and man did it scare me then. So when I found this site and read what you guys are saying. I feel better already. Thanks so much for the information you have gave me. I don't smoke and never have except alittle pot now and then. I am 67 now and don't exercise much but I will start and eat the right foods. I am not over weight and have not drank anything in 6 years after drinking for so many years. Any advice you could give me when be so appreciated. Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to being on this site again. oh yeah I am working in a furniture store and very happy doing this but I wonder if moving furniture around and lifting some light stuff is good for me? Thanks again....one confused man but lucky to find out and I can see that from your posts.

• Posted

Hi, The exercise won't harm you nor moving furniture. It's not so heavy in store when it is empty as when we move it around at home when cleaning:-)

See my post above about having treatment from an osteopath. It seems that they are pretty robust

Consultant said that taking a statin delays the plaque in it from building up. I did take a statin for a while for my cholesterol but the side effects, muscle pain in my case made me stop it. It is worth a try though.

• Posted

Consultant said no problem in having treatment from an osteopath.
    • Posted

hi read your post with interest cos i too have an AA 4 .4cms and still go to the gym doing cardio and weights.However having discussed this with my doctor and consultant , i havent to lift heavy ,so doing one rep max , straining , holding my breath , making that extra effort is out the question.I read on the net that sticking to half your body weight for large muscle groups is as much as you should try , In my case thatsa about 37kg for leg press and back exercises such as lat pull downs, The use of light weights and high reps the doctor didnt gave a problem with and the key is to stop the reps before it becomes an effort and a strain Its frustrating i know not to push yourself but id rather keep my hand in and soak up the atmosphere which i love , than not go at all.Im due a visit to the consultant next month so after 15 months it will be interesting to see how much its progressed. iVE been told the cut off point is 5 .5 cms so i just hope its not grown 1 .1 cms is that time which is helluva increase when you look on the ruler.So after then who knows.

BP NORMAL 117/58 PULSE RATE 57  CHOLESTROL 3 .5 

• Posted

I have no idea how big mine is, I am due  a check up in May

My doctor hasnt said aything about what I can/cant do, so I am just carrying on doing stuff I have done for years, but I do more cardio now though

I lift weights I can lift without sraining, I just do more reps with lighter weights

I was surprised about Alan Thicke died from a ruptured aorta,he never even knew he had one,

Well I think a regular check up is needed, there is a FB page that has a lot of advice, help

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.