Aortic Aneurysm

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been told I have an Aortic Aneurysm, but its in its early stages, what I want to know is, how did I get it, how can it be sorted, what are the risks to me, can I still use the gym (I use a running machine, lift weights, use a rowing machine

Am I going to drop dead while I am exercising, okay I do push my self a good bit, but I feel good when I come out of the gym aftyer a good work out, I am 65, like to think I am fit, a bit overweight I guess, try to eat well, drink plenty of water, enjoy my coffee

Anyone know if I am going to fall off my perch  any time soon ?

I have to go for another check up next year

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am not a Dr, but this is what my Dr told me. My 4.7 ascending aortic aneurysm was discovered 10 years ago and strangely it is still 4.7 just tosay as I just got back from the hospital where I did a CT Scan. I felt sure that I had reached the 5.0 threshold and would be prepped for an aortic root replacement this week. So good news. Now I just have to find out why I am having pain in my neck, back, shoulder, and chest which may be unrelated.

Are you going to drop dead? Likely not. You didn't say how big yours is, but the only people who generally die of aneurysms are people who don't know they have them, who don't get their year scans, and who don't maintain their blood pressure.

All aneurysms grow, some fast, some very slow. As I said mine hasn't grown in 10 years. Typically patients who do not have collagen disorders and Marfans syndrome or serious unchecked high BP issues their aneurysms grow much slower. Those with these issues typically see faster growing aneurysms.

I suspect that at some point your doctor will cut out all weight lifting and hard cardio to slow down the growth. He/she will also likely put you on a beta blocker, BP medicines, and lipitor to keep the pressure low in yiour vessels and Lipitor has been shown to slow them down.

Lose weight, as that will put less stress on your heart, stop smoking, and cut out caffeine. You want the pressure as low as you can get and still function, and your heart rate as low as you can go and still function.

The biggest problem with aortic aneurysms is they are scary as hell and can trigger anxiety and depression. that never knowing if that feeling in your chest is your aneurysm dissecting. If that becomes a problem, then get on an anxiety med.

If you have a small aneurysm and you follow the above, most Drs say that within 5-7 years their will stop with the open heart nasty aortic root replacement surgey and will start floating graphs in like cardiac catherization.

Do not, DO NOT, miss your yearly scans. 

• Posted

Well I dont smoke, you couldnt do half the stuff I do if you are smoking

I am at what I consider a decent weight for my height

I do take aspirin and statins, my blood pressure is normal (so they tell me)

I do drink coffee and I think the benifits of coffee out weigh the risks

I have only had the one scan but cant remember the size of it, but was told its nothng to worry about, if its nothing to worry about why tell me ?

as for beta blockers, there is no chance of me ever going on them (I have seen too many people gettin addicted to them)

I dont get depressed, but I get p*ssed off which isnt depression, it happens when things dont go my way (like the car breaking down, the wife not coming home, shops shut when I need something)

Is this just a male thing or do women suffer as well ?

I have a good resting heart rate,(58-65) but with exercise it does increase, and I expect it to, I can ge it up to 180, which I think isnt bad,

I do 5000 meters on a rowing machine and yes I do get out of breath, and so do others half my age (it happens when anyone does hard exercise) I can keep up with some on the rowing machine though

I have no idea of my Cholesterol lvels are, been a few mnths since a blood check, I can only assume its okay and I am on these statin things (last tme it was checked it was 5.4)

• Posted

I have just had a letter from my doctor, I not only have this Abdominal aortic aneurysm

I have interstitial lung disease (I think I have got this from my previous jobs though) something else I have never heard of

But the doctor did say she was amazed by how fit I was (well its something I have prided myself on) she put me on a rowing machine, 6000 meters, 25 minutes, then a step machine, I got more out of breathe on the step machine than the rowing machine :-(...I am on 10mg of Prednisolene each day

I thought I would do an internet search for this interstitial lung disease as I had never heard of it and here is a link

https://patient.info/doctor/pulmonary-fibrosis

Then I did nother search, which opened my eyes a bit more..

..................................................................................................

The condition, which is part of a group of disorders known collectively as interstitial lung disease, causes inflammation and scarring of the lung tissue and sufferers have an average life expectancy of between just three and five years.

...............................................................................................

After reading that I have decided that I had better get in all those things I have always wanted to do and just never got round to doing, but at least I have MY best before date :-)

If you dont hear from me in a few years, you will at least know what's happened to me

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.